Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Oglethorpe County Georgia Historical Markers

 
William Bartram Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
William Bartram Trail Marker
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Arnoldsville — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
On this site in 1773, William Bartram with Indians and Traders concluded the western boundary of “Treaty of Augusta”. — Map (db m25905) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Carlton — 109-2 — Governor Mathews' Homesite>>>-- 1 mi. -->
George Mathews born in Va. in 1739, of Irish descent, lived in this area then known as “Goose Pond” from 1785. His home since burned. He won distinction fighting Indians in the N.W. Ter. and in 1775 became a Col. serving under Washington . . . — Map (db m37157) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Comer — 109-8 — Watson Mill Bridge
Built by W.W. King in 1885, Watson Mill Bridge is Georgia’s longest existing covered bridge. Of the Town lattice type it has four spans and is 236 feet long.

Covered primarily to protect the structural timbers, the bridge served local . . . — Map (db m47310) HM

Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Crawford — A Memorial to William Harris Crawford
A Memorial to William Harris Crawford 1772 – 1834 Statesman Diplomat Patriot Erected by Elijah Clarke Chapter D.A.R. of Athens, Georgia Feb. 24, 1929 — Map (db m25998) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Crawford — 109-1 — Cloud's Creek Baptist Church
In 1785, following the Revolutionary War, pioneers from North Carolina--including the Hendons, Hartsfields, Standifers, Johnsons, Lawrences, and Olives--settled near Big Cloud's Creek on the Georgia frontier near the Creek and Cherokee nations. . . . — Map (db m26262) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Crawford — Veterans of Oglethorpe County
In God We Trust V Marine Corps Seal, Navy Seal, Coast Guard Seal, Air Force Seal, Army Seal In Honor of the Veterans of Oglethorpe County — Map (db m78240) WM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Crawford — 109-1 — William Harris Crawford>>>------>
William Harris Crawford, teacher, lawyer, duelist & statesman, was born in Va. Feb. 24, 1772, son of a poor farmer. Moving to Ga., at 14 he studied, taught & was admitted to the bar in 1799. He killed P.L. Van Alen, was severely wounded by Gov. . . . — Map (db m25996) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Crawford — Wm H Crawford
U.S. Senator Secretary of the Treasury Ambassador to France 1772 – 1834 — Map (db m58360) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — 109-6 — Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church
Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church was organized on December 20, 1785, in the wilderness about three miles West of this site, under the leadership of Mr. John Newton, then a licentiate. It was the first of a chain of Presbyterian churches established in . . . — Map (db m26059) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe
Oglethorpe, the fifth county created in Georgia, Dec. 19, 1793 was named for James Edward Oglethorpe, founder and first governor of Georgia. Born in London, Dec. 22, 1696, Oglethorpe started his early life in Godalming, England. He was a . . . — Map (db m78233) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — 109-3 — Governor Gilmer’s Home< --- 2bl. --- <<<
George Rockingham Gilmer, of Scotch descent, was born in 1790 in that part of Wilkes Co. that is now Oglethorpe Co. Soon after admittance to the bar in 1813 he was appointed 1st Lt. in the regular army and served with distinction in the Creek . . . — Map (db m26043) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — James T. Rayle Post No. 123 Monument
Dedicated to those who served 1776-1976 — Map (db m78236) WM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — 109-7 — Meson Academy
Francis Meson (1761-1806), an Irishman and “wandering schoolteacher,” became a rich merchant in Lexington. He bequeathed $8,000.00 for an academy building and valuable property for an endowment, “the income to be used forever for . . . — Map (db m26060) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — Meson Academy
Erected A.D.1807, and liberally endowed by Francis Meson. Deceased on the 8th of September, 1806. 1806 ---- 1897. Meson Academy Trustees. Dr. W. Z. Faust, Chairman. Wm. Gottheimer, Sect. & Treas. . . . — Map (db m111725) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — 109-4 — Oglethorpe County
This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Gen. James E. Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia. Born in London, England, Dec. 22, 1696, Oglethorpe left England in Nov. 1732 with 116 settlers and arrived at Yamacraw in Jan. . . . — Map (db m26058) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — Oglethorpe County Confederate Monument
In Memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Oglethorpe County 1861-1854 — Map (db m78191) WM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — Oglethorpe County Veterans Monument
Front Oglethorpe Veterans Reverse Lest We Forget — Map (db m78235) WM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Philomath — 109-5 — Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath
This ancient Church has served under four names and in four counties. Liberty Presbyterian Church was organized by the Rev. Daniel Thatcher, about 1788. The original place of worship, a log house, was erected near War Hill, about seven miles from . . . — Map (db m21578) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Smithonia — 109-2 — Howard's Covered Bridge
Built in 1904-05 to replace an earlier structure, this bridge bears the name of a pioneer family who settled near Big Cloud’s Creek in the late 1700s. Constructed in the Town lattice design using convict labor, the 164-foot bridge’s web of planks . . . — Map (db m8989) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.