Arthur Fort, Sr., a representative of Wilkinson County, introduced the Bill in the Georgia Legislature to carve a new county out of Wilkinson County territory which became an Act on December 14, 1809, thus Twiggs County was created. After the . . . — — Map (db m11926) HM
“Magnolia Plantation” was the home of Dudley Mays Hughes, four times a member of Congress from 1909 to 1917. He was the co-author of the Smith ~ Hughes Vocational Education Bill which was passed by Congress Feb. 23, 1917. This Bill . . . — — Map (db m38733) HM
This historic house, built for Rev. V. A. Tharp by his sons, John and Charnick, with slave labor in 1809, is the oldest known house in Twiggs County, then Wilkinson. The Tharp family, who occupied this house-in-the-wilderness in 1811, helped to . . . — — Map (db m12910) HM
Constituted September 3, 1808, this Church was first located two miles from here on a rocky hill overlooking Stone Creek, a tributary of the Ocmulgee. In 1842 the meetings were moved to an Academy at this site and in 1850 the members and community . . . — — Map (db m12299) HM
Colonel Charles Colcock Jones, General Hardee's Chief of Artillery. summarized the Battle of Griswoldville:
"This engagement, while it reflects great credit upon the gallantry of the Confederate and State forces engaged, was . . . — — Map (db m103156) HM
On Nov. 15, 1864, [US) Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman left Atlanta on his devastating “March to the Sea.” His force divided into two wings and feinted toward
Macon and Augusta while on their way to the capital at Milledgeville. [CS] General . . . — — Map (db m11929) HM
Major General Ezekiel Wimberly commanding the Twiggs Militia erected and garrisoned three forts along the Ocmulgee River for frontier protection. Born in Bertie County, North Carolina, September 1, 1783, son and grandson of Revolutionary soldiers, . . . — — Map (db m38736) HM
One and one tenth mile south-southeast from this marker is the geographic center of the state. The center is defined as the balance point of a plane or thin sheet of a uniform thickness in the shape of the area.
The central point is . . . — — Map (db m49532) HM
Marion, incorporated in 1816, was the first county seat of Twiggs County. Named for General Francis Marion, the Revolutionary “Swamp Fox”, it was a trading center and metropolis in ante bellum days. Its decline began when residents . . . — — Map (db m38686) HM
This old mill has been in operation in the same building for at least 150 years. In 1825 on his visit to Georgia, Marquis de LaFayette stopped here and found this mill grinding corn and making unbolted flour. As soon as he reached a city market, he . . . — — Map (db m12092) HM
Richland Baptist Church was constituted Oct 5, 1811 with 4 male and 8 female members. The first pastor was Rev. Micajah Fulghum.
In June 1861 the ladies of this church made and presented a Confederate flag., to the Twiggs Guard. Mrs. Isolene . . . — — Map (db m38690) HM
Twiggs County was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1809 from Wilkinson County. It was named for Gen. John Twiggs (1750-1816), born in Maryland, resident of Burke County, a leader in the Revolution and against the Indians. He signed treaties with the . . . — — Map (db m38738) HM
This settlement was named for the Tarver family who settled here more than a century ago. In 1826 a post office was opened as Tarver's Store and in 1831 the name was changed to Tarversville.
Hartwell Hill Tarver (1791-1851) was one of the . . . — — Map (db m39991) HM