Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Walton County Florida Historical Markers

 
Cosson Family Tragedy Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
Cosson Family Tragedy Marker
Florida (Walton County), DeFuniak Springs — F-741 — Cosson Family Tragedy
In 1936, James Marvin Cosson Sr. moved his family to this location about one-half mile east of the Eglin Army Airfield to have more land to farm and to provide for his wife, Annie Bell Cosson, and their four children. During World War II, Eglin . . . — Map (db m73290) HM
Florida (Walton County), DeFuniak Springs — F-567 — Eucheeanna Community1st County Seat for Walton County — 1828-1885
Eucheeanna, the first Scottish settlement in territorial Florida, was named in honor of the Euchee Indians. Tradition holds that the first slave child was born in the settlement. Eucheeanna consisted of a school, court house, jail, Masonic and Odd . . . — Map (db m73291) HM
Florida (Walton County), DeFuniak Springs — F-307 — Florida Education Association: The Beginning
Florida teachers and administrators numbering 700 met here in Chautauqua Hall for a "teachers institute" called the Florida Chautauqua. The meeting was called to order by J.A. Graham, City Superintendent of Schools, Key West, at 12:30 p.m., on . . . — Map (db m83080) HM
Florida (Walton County), DeFuniak Springs — F - 147 — Florida's First Confederate Monument
Shortly after the Civil War, the women of Walton County organized a "Ladies' Memorial Association," with Jeannett I. McKinnon as president, to erect a marble monument honoring Walton County's Confederate dead. The Association raised $250, and the . . . — Map (db m39774) HM
Florida (Walton County), DeFuniak Springs — F - 377 — The Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood
The original Chautauqua Institution was founded in 1874 on Lake Chautauqua in western New York state as a vacation school for Sunday school teachers. The idea of providing a retreat for improving religious and secular education for the general . . . — Map (db m39773) HM
Florida (Walton County), DeFuniak Springs — Walton County Confederate Monument
To the memory of the Confederate Dead of Walton Co. Florida. Erected by the Ladies of the Walton County Female Memorial Association. Southwest face Angus D. McLean, Col., 6th Fla. Vols. Murdoch M. Gillis, Capt. 6th Fla. Vols. Daniel D. . . . — Map (db m39775) HM
Florida (Walton County), DeFuniak Springs — F-267 — Walton-DeFuniak Library
The Walton-DeFuniak Library opened during the first decade of the existence of the town of DeFuniak Springs. This community originated in the early 1880's as a station on the new Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad. The town was named for Frederick de . . . — Map (db m60246) HM
Florida (Walton County), Eglin Air Force Base — Doolittle Raiders
The Doolittle Raid, U.S. Army Special Mission No. 1 of World War II, was a daring one-way mission of 16 B-25 Mitchell medium bombers with 80 aircrew, commanded by Lt Col James "Jimmy" Doolittle to carry out America's first offensive attack on . . . — Map (db m78745) HM
Florida (Walton County), Freeport — Freeport Masonic Hall
Herman Lodge No. 108 F.&A.M. was chartered January 16, 1889 in DeFuniak Springs and originally met in a structure in the area of Freeport known as "Tucker Town". On June 19, 1901, the lodge building burned down and was replaced with this structure . . . — Map (db m110447) HM
Florida (Walton County), Ponce De Leon — F-622 — Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church And Cemetery
This is the site of one of Florida’s oldest organized Presbyterian Church which was the largest Presbyterian Church in Florida until 1885. On May 27, 1827, the Reverend Murdoch Murphy of the Alabama Synod presided with one Elder, Donald McLean, Sr., . . . — Map (db m54796) HM
Florida (Walton County), Ponce De Leon — F-623 — Knox Hill Academy1848
The Knox Hill Academy, a boarding school, was founded in 1848 by the Rev. John Newton (April 22, 1814 – Nov. 21, 1871), who was also the head master and a Presbyterian minister. It was first located near a spring northeast of the Morrison . . . — Map (db m54795) HM
Florida (Walton County), Santa Rosa Beach — F-172 — Eden
“Who loves a garden, still his ‘Eden’ keeps.” Amos Bronson Alcott

The estate was bought in 1963 by Lois Genevieve Maxon, who planned the gardens which enhance the lovely natural setting and restored the mansion in antebellum . . . — Map (db m41134) HM

Florida (Walton County), Santa Rosa Beach — F-795 — Gulf Cemetery
Gulf Cemetery was established circa 1910 when the town of Santa Rosa was established on Hogtown Bayou. The town's first families began to bury their loved ones at this site, the area's highest elevation with a view of the Gulf of Mexico. The . . . — Map (db m78730) HM
Florida (Walton County), Westville — F-621 — Alford’s Mill
Near this location, Marion Alford established in 1864 a water-powered grist mill that became the focal point of a small farming community that developed in this area of north Walton County. Archaeological remains of the mill dam and foundations . . . — Map (db m54797) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.