Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Forbes Road Historical Markers

Markers and plaques recording the 1758 British expedition through Pennsylvania to Fort Duquesne during the French and Indian War. Named for expedition commander General John Forbes.
 
Forbes Road Bouquet's Breastworks Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, March 13, 2011
Forbes Road Bouquet's Breastworks Marker
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Monroeville — Forbes Road Bouquet's Breastworks
The last base of General Forbes' army. After crossing nearly “two hundred miles of wild and unknown country,” the army entered Fort Duquesne on November 25, 1758. — Map (db m40883) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Penn Hills — Bouquet Camp
Bouquet Camp, supply base in the Forbes' campaign against the French holding Fort Duquesne in 1758, was near here. Named in honor of Colonel Bouquet, second-in-command and builder of Forbes Road. — Map (db m40879) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Penn Hills — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
The Bouquet Encampment was located three miles east of this place which marks the farthest Northern point of the Forbes Road which leads Westward to Fort Duquesne 97 miles from Bedford Map (db m40884) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
Fort Duquesne End of Forbes Road Occupied by General Forbes November 25, 1758 and by him named Pittsburgh. His victory determined the destiny of the Great West and established Anglo-Saxon supremacy in the United States. "His name . . . — Map (db m42022) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County
Formed on March 9, 1771 from Cumberland County, it first embraced most of western Pennsylvania. Named for its county seat (formerly Raystown) incorporated 1795. In 1758, Fort Bedford was erected here, and Forbes Road - to become a major highway west . . . — Map (db m13990) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne-Fort Bedford-Raystown
Depot of supplies assembling place of an army of nearly eight thousand men and the starting point of General John Forbes' Expedition for the possession of Fort Duquesne. The road leads Westward to the Forks. — Map (db m52666) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Forbes Road (Fort Juniata)
At the Juniata Crossings, half a mile north of here, General Forbes erected a small stockade in 1758 to protect the communications of his army moving west to attack Fort Duquesne. — Map (db m52663) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
Shawnee Cabins Encampment At this point the Forbes Road leads southwestward to the eastern slope of the Allegheny Mountains 8 1/3 miles from Fort Bedford — Map (db m49562) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road
This intersection marks the point where Forbes Road of 1758 diverged from the path cut by Col. Burd in 1755. The Forbes Road led through the wilderness west toward Ligonier from this point. — Map (db m59734) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
The Forks The Road cut by Colonel James Burd in 1755 and the Forbes Road diverge here, Forbes Road leading southwestward to Shawnee Cabins Encampment 4 1/2 miles from Fort Bedford. — Map (db m99103) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Forbes Road Raystown Path
To capture Fort Duquesne, General Forbes marched an army, in 1758, from his main base at Carlisle to the forks of the Ohio. He followed as closely as he could with army wagons, the Raystown Indian and traders Path, widened by axemen under Colonel . . . — Map (db m30322) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — The Forbes Road
In 1758, after three years of war in North America with the French and Indian alliance, the British Empire launched the Forbes Expedition. The campaign began in Carlisle, the county seat for territory that extended to the Ohio River. The British . . . — Map (db m35320) HM
Pennsylvania (Fulton County), Burnt Cabins — Forbes Road Raystown Path
Just east of here is the junction of the two branches of the Raystown Path: a mountain shortcut by way of Fannettsburg, and Gen. Forbes road through Cowan Gap. From here Forbes route is marked by towns named for his forts: Littleton, Bedford, . . . — Map (db m19517) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Allegheny Township — Forbes Road Fort Dewart
"The fort on the top of Allegheny Hill" was erected in 1758 during the Gen. Forbes expedition against Fort Duquesne. The site is marked half a mile northeast of here, near the head of Breastwork Run. — Map (db m59760) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Buckstown — Forbes Road Edmund's Swamp
Named for Edmund Cartlidge, Indian trader. A camp located here, on the Raystown Path, provided good grass for the horses of General Forbes' army in 1758. The site of the redoubt is marked two and a half miles north of here. — Map (db m21559) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Jennerstown — Forbes Road The Clear Fields
Good forage found at open camps such as this on the Raystown Path, led General Forbes to prefer this route to Braddock's Road. Site of Fort Dudgeon (Tomahawk Camp) is a short distance to the north. — Map (db m52702) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Jennerstown — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
Tomahawk Encampment At foot of Laurel Hill the Forbes Road leads northwestward to Fort Ligonier 35.5 miles from Fort Bedford — Map (db m52703) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Kantner — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
. . . — Map (db m52705) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Somerset — Somerset County
. . . — Map (db m23104) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Stoystown — Forbes Road Stony Creek Encampment
A fortified supply depot known as the Stony Creek encampment or fort was a little north of here. The route then leads north to the foot of Laurel Hill, the site of Tomahawk camp. — Map (db m60109) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — Twelve Mile Camp
George Washington in 1758 set up a camp a mile north of this point while building Forbes Road. In 1774 Fort Shippen was built at the same site. — Map (db m48079) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
Fort Ligonier Built by order of General Forbes. Was located 200 yards west of this marker. The road leads south-westward to 12 mile encampment. Eminent service was rendered here by Colonel Henry Bouquet and Colonel John Armstrong and in . . . — Map (db m48072) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Fort Ligonier
The first English fort west of the Alleghany Mountains was built five hundred feet south-east of this spot, in 1758 by order of General John Forbes, and named in honor of Lord John Ligonier. Here General Forbes with the aid of Colonels George . . . — Map (db m48076) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Murrysville — Forbes Road
On the hill one mile south was located the Washington Camp. This base for Forbes Road was built Nov. 1758 by Col. George Washington, "Commanding the Troops to ye Westward," on the order of Colonel Henry Bouquet. — Map (db m43752) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Murrysville — Forbes Road
On the hill one mile south was located the Washington Camp. This base for Forbes Road was built Nov. 1758 by Col. George Washington, "Commanding the Troops to ye Westward," on the order of Colonel Henry Bouquet. — Map (db m43753) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement