Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Virginia, Historic Occoquan Historical Markers

Each of the markers features a location or person important to Occoquan’s history. They are all within easy walking distance of each other.
 
1804 Boundary Stone Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
1804 Boundary Stone Marker
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — 1804 Boundary Stone
A prominent stone located near this spot was the beginning point of the 1804 survey of Occoquan’s boundaries. A survey line running from the stone enclosed the 31-acre tract subdivided into streets and lots on the town plat. Today the stone is . . . — Map (db m2458) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — 1804 Occoquan Town Plat
In 1804, after Virginia’s General Assembly granted a charter, Occoquan was platted on 31 acres of founder Nathaniel Ellicott’s and others’ land. The Plat laid off streets and lots. Structures shown included the public wharf, Ellicott’s Mill and . . . — Map (db m2365) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Commerce Street
Commerce Street was a residential and commercial area from the early 19th through mid-20th centuries. Houses, many of which survive, faced the street on lots surveyed on the 1804 town plat. Businesses included the Hammill Hotel and a General Store. . . . — Map (db m86043) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Ebenezer Baptist Church
Ex-slave Lewis H. Bailey organized Ebenezer Baptist Church in 1883. It is one of the oldest African-American Baptist congregations in Easter Prince William County. The original church, built on this site in 1883–1884, was one of Occoquan’s . . . — Map (db m2455) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Ellicott’s Mill
John Ballendine established this gristmill at the Occoquan Falls ca. 1755. By 1800 it was owned by Nathaniel Ellicott and housed machinery to unload grain from wagons or barges, grind it, and return it to its carrier. The building, the region’s . . . — Map (db m2385) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Methodist Church
This brick, lancet-windowed church, built ca. 1925 is Occoquan’s second Methodist church. The first wood-frame church, located on Commerce St. behind the present structure, burned in the 1916 town fire. Besides its original tenants, other church . . . — Map (db m2383) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Mill Street
Mill Street has been Occoquan's commercial center since the early 1800s. The Alton Hotel, Taverns, a bank, a pharmacy, grocery and hardware stores, and other businesses served local residents and travelers on the main east coast north south highway. . . . — Map (db m2382) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Occoquan River Bridges
Occoquan founder Nathaniel Ellicott built the first bridge here c. 1800. The “Great Mail Route” from Washington to the south crossed here. In 1878 an iron Pratt Truss Bridge was erected. This bridge was on the main east coast north-south . . . — Map (db m2392) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Occoquan Wharves
Occoquan’s Public Wharf was here. This wharf and others at the Occoquan River’s highest navigable point were key to the 19th- and early 20th-century town’s porsperity. Ships were built, barges carried grain to Ellicott's Mill, and flour, logs, fish . . . — Map (db m2367) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Odd Fellows Hall
Odd Fellows Crescent Lodge No. 3 erected this frame meeting hall in 1889. Volunteer Lodge members and a paid carpenter built it. The first floor was a public meeting room and theater. The Masons, American Legion, church congregations and other . . . — Map (db m2416) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Ogle Harris’ Store
This c. 1900 house was Ogle Harris’ Store. Harris, son of a slave, first sold homemade ice cream from the house’s since-razed summer kitchen. In c. 1910 he moved his family from the building, which was then his residence, and began selling . . . — Map (db m5617) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Old Hammill Hotel
The three-story hotel, named for operator Edward Hammill, may be Occoquan’s first brick building. Tradition says it was built in 1804, but it likely dates from c. 1830. It was the Town’s premier inn. Confederate Col. Wade Hampton made it his . . . — Map (db m2421) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Rockledge
John Ballendine built this finely proportioned Georgian House, “Rockledge,” in c. 1760. William Buckland, a premier colonial Chesapeake architect, reportedly designed it. “Rockledge” is a rare example of a Tidewater Virginia . . . — Map (db m2384) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — The Dogue Indians
The Dogues, an Algonquian tribe, occupied the Occoquan River Watershed in the early 1600s. In their dialect, Occoquan means “at the end of the water.” They lived in villages, hunted and fished, and raised corn, beans, squash, and . . . — Map (db m2390) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement