Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Greensburg, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Arthur St. Clair Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, October 7, 2011
Arthur St. Clair Marker
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Arthur Saint Clair (1737-1818)
President, Continental Congress, 1787; member, 1785-87. First Governor of the Northwest Territory (lying between the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers), 1787-1802. Earlier, he was Westmoreland County Court Justice after the county's formation in 1773, and . . . — Map (db m48066) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Fort Allen
A little south, site of post built 1774 by Pennsylvania German pioneers of Brush Creek and Harrold's settlements. A refuge from Indians in Dunmore's War and American Revolution. — Map (db m55583) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Fort Allen
Built and commanded by Colonel Christopher Truby, officer of the revolution, was located 150 yards to the south of this marker. A frontier Fort of Dunmore's War 1774, the Indian War, and the War of the Revolution, It was also known as Truby's . . . — Map (db m55584) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Hannastown
Site of former county seat of Westmoreland County is just west of here. First county seat west of mountains, 1773. Citizens adopted a Declaration in support of the Revolution, 1775. Burned by the Indians in 1782. — Map (db m55846) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Sion Church-Herolds Settlement First Lutheran Church West of the Alleghany Mountains
Pioneers arrived 1755-1760 Settlement established 1769 158 acres called "Good Purpose" preempted for Lutheran Church in 1765. Warrant Granted 1785 Patent Granted 1789 Log School House and Church built 1772 on site about 300 feet south of . . . — Map (db m55595) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Toll House
Just northeast of here stood 1 of 5 gates of Greensburg-Pittsburgh Turnpike Road Company The turnpike, a section of the Pittsburgh-Philadelphia road, was completed in 1817. Over it, passed goods in trade between east and west. — Map (db m47959) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Toll House
Site of toll house of the Stoyestown-Greensburg Turnpike Road Company The turnpike, a section of the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh road, was completed in 1819 at a cost of about $6,000 a mile. State took over the turnpike in 1911. — Map (db m47960) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Train Station at Greensburg Lincoln Highway
Road versus Rail—The Lincoln Highway stretches from New York City to San Francisco. In Western Pennsylvania, the Highway converges with the Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line at one location: Greenburg. The train station at Greensburg, . . . — Map (db m67362) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Westmoreland County
Formed on February 26, 1773 from Bedford County, it once comprised most of southwest Pennsylvania. First seat of English justice west of Alleghenies. Site of 1775 "Hanna's Town Resolves." Greensburg, the county seat, was incorporated in 1799. — Map (db m47961) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement