In honor of the sesquincentennial of the Mariposa County Courthouse and recognition of its continuous use since 1855.
In June 1857 Biddle Boggs vs. Merced Mining Company made legal mining history and the 1861 cases of Moore vs. Smaw and Fremont . . . — — Map (db m46739) HM
Discoverd by Sonoran miners in the early summer of 1849. It was located about a quarter mile above the two springs of cold water from which the town derived its name.
Aqua Fria was the first county seat from Feb. 18, 1850 to Nov. 10. 1851. . . . — — Map (db m46410) HM
One fourth mile north of Carson Creek, tributary of Agua Fria, was located Agua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa County in 1850-1851 one of original 27 counties in California. Until 1852, while mining was main industry of region, Mariposa County . . . — — Map (db m51554) HM
In 1852 Andrew Church established a trading post where a road from the San Joaquin Valley, crossed the Agua Fria Creek. The site, known as Bridgeport, was on the Fremont Grant, about five miles south of Aqua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa . . . — — Map (db m46846) HM
The California State Geological Society started collecting mineral specimens in 1865. In 1880, the California State Mining Bureau was founded. This plaque is dedicated to the miners and founders for their foresight. Todays collection displays . . . — — Map (db m46845) HM
The oldest building in Mariposa, and the only 3 story adobe building still in use in the state of California.
Erected in 1850 by Col. John C. Fremont and wife Jessie for Palmer Cook & Co., lease holders for the Mariposa Mine and Fremont’s agents. . . . — — Map (db m65502) HM
This site is part of the 44,000 arce [sic] Las Mariposa Land Grant purchased in 1847 by Colonel John C. Fremont for $3,000. In 1850 La Mineta, a mining camp, was established here by Sonoran miners. La Mineta was changed to Princeton in 1854 for the . . . — — Map (db m46407) HM
California’s oldest seat of justice still in use. The front half, the original building, completed in 1854, cost $9.200. The lumber was sash-sawed from nearby forests; framework fastened with mortised joints and wooden pegs. Finished lumber was . . . — — Map (db m46734) HM
This mortise and tenon Greek Revival courthouse, erected in 1854, is California’s oldest court of law and has served continuously as the seat of county government since 1854. During the 19th century landmark mining cases setting legal precedent were . . . — — Map (db m46733) HM
This 33 X 26 foot structure was built in 1858 from granite blocks quarried near Mormon Bar at a cost of 14,744.00 by J.O. Lovejoy. It originally had two stories and a gallows at the east end. In 1892 a fire gutted the building, taking the life of . . . — — Map (db m46443) HM
The first meeting of the Mariposa County Historical Society was held April 14, 1957. In 1958 the museum was established at the Historic Masonic Lodge located nearby.
In December 1969, Judge Thomas and Katherine Coakley donated the land to . . . — — Map (db m38670) HM
In 1849, a group of Mormons established a tent encampment near here while searching for land to farm. After an influx of gold miners the Mormons moved on. Next came thousands of Chinese miners, merchants and farmers. Mormon Bar became the largest . . . — — Map (db m46408) HM
This school was originally two stories and was built in Georgetown about 1878. At that time it was called the Snow Creek School. Space was limited so the school was dismantled and moved to a larger site in 1910. The land was donated by Richard . . . — — Map (db m46771) HM
Built in 1859 by John F. McNamera, destroyed by fire in 1866, rebuilt in 1867 by Herman Schlegeter, Presidents Grant & Garfield stayed here, Walter & Clarice Robinson acquired ownership in 1963. — — Map (db m46441) HM
Built in 1862 by the people of Mariposa under the direction of Father Auger. The church was dedicated, Confirmation was conferred and the first Mass was said by Archbishop Alameny on Jan. 18, 1863. The church has been repaired many times through the . . . — — Map (db m46599) HM
The Mount Ophir Mine is one of the most successful and conspicuous of the Mother Lode mines in Mariposa County. It includes the Mount Ophir Mint which was the first of such mints to turn gold into coins. The Mint was built by John Moffitt, who had . . . — — Map (db m46381) HM
This mining town became the seat of justice of Mariposa County when on February 18,1850, the State Legislature divided the state into 27 counties. Mariposa County the comprised one-fifth of the entire state and included what are Mariposa, Tulare, . . . — — Map (db m46411) HM
In the 1972 Federal Highways Administration Contest as the outstanding example of a bridge, overpass, tunnel or other highway structure in the United States.
“This is the way a bridge should look.” — — Map (db m46773) HM