10 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Rodney
May 28, 2018
Dr. Rush Nutt (1781-1837) Marker
| Dr. Rush Nutt, who built Laurel Hill Plantation about 1815, is known for his agricultural and scientific study for initiating improvements in agricultural implements and techniques and for his civic contributions in early statehood days in . . . — — Map (db m119961) HM|
| The yellow tever epldemics of 1843 and 1898 were fatal to many
residents of Rodney. Even though the Union gunboat "Rattler"
fired upon the town, Rodney and her churches were spared
destruction during the Civil War. Here was the disembarking . . . — — Map (db m119482) HM|
| The French were the first Europeans to claim this area, clled "Petit Gouffre", "Petit Golphe", "Petit Gulf", or "Little Gulf". In 1763, as a result of the French and Indian War, the area became the dominion of Great Britain. Spain captured British . . . — — Map (db m119887) HM|
|Ca. 1815. Located almost one mile southwest, Laurel Hill is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A single approach leads from the primary road one-fourth mile toward Rodney down a deeply cut roadbed bordered by moss-draped cedars and . . . — — Map (db m119904) HM|
| During the Civil War, on September 13, 1863, a skirmish ocurred
at the church. On that Sunday morning the Union gunboat "Rattler"
had docked at Rodney. Rev. Baker, a northern sympathizer
who was to preach that day, invited Captain Fentrese of . . . — — Map (db m118341) HM|
| Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the church was begun when the 1828 Mississippi Legislature granted a charter of Incorporation to the "Presbyterian Church of Petit Gulf". Later in 1828, the Town of Rodney was incorporated, the . . . — — Map (db m119889) HM|
| Old early nineteenth century road was one of two connecting the old town of Rodney with Claiborne County settlements. Composed of loess soil, the roadbed and roadside bluffs remain today much as they were 150 years ago. — — Map (db m118013) HM|
| Incorporated in 1828, Rodney was noted for its high level of culture, county fairs and business activity. Rodney once contained two banks, two newspapers, 500 people and 35 stores. Cottonseed development, river boat landing, river boat taverns and . . . — — Map (db m118287) HM|
| The earliest references to the Rodney area are from the 1774 New England expedition led by General Phineas Lyman to organize a settlement on Big Black River. Captain Matthew Phelps, a member of this expedition, described the area as "firm rock on . . . — — Map (db m119963) HM|
| Old Rodney Presbyterian Church, dedicated in 1832, is located north on Commerce Street at Church Street intersection. Also on Commerce Street at the south edge of town is Sacred Heart Catholic Church, built about 1869. Most present structures date . . . — — Map (db m120395) HM|