Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Taylor, Michigan Historical Markers

 
Coan Lake Marker, Lake, and Bridge image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., May 13, 2016
Coan Lake Marker, Lake, and Bridge
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Coan Lake
Coan Lake was constructed in the fall of 1988. The lake is 3 acres, with a depth of nine to eighteen feet. The property the lake sits on was once known as the Schoncheck Farm. Stocked with a variety of fish, it provides a passive setting for a . . . — Map (db m94796) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Fitz's Caboose
John J. Fitzpatrick was one of Michigan's great legislators from 1948 to 1966. This caboose has been given to Heritage Park by his family to all who use it will remember him. The City of Taylor appreciates the effort of Congressman John Dingell in . . . — Map (db m95366) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Hand Train Station
Hand Train Station was named after George E. Hand, a German immigrant. In 1876 a rail line was constructed through Taylor and the train station was built near what is now Ecourse and Telegraph Roads. Hand Corners, as it became known, and nearby . . . — Map (db m94862) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Heritage Park Road System
These roadways, pathways and parking lots were built by Taylor's Public Works and Parks employees. If not for our dedicated employees and generous gift of $200,00 in material from the Edward C. Levy Co., this project, would not have been possible. — Map (db m95119) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Taylor Heritage School
This building was constructed in 1882 as a catechism room for St. John's Lutheran Church. In early days, the German language was used in the school. It was purchased by the City and moved here in 1989. The Taylor Historical Society restored it in . . . — Map (db m95365) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — L1740 — Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery
The Taylor Methodist Episcopal congregation built the first church in Taylor Township in 1882 on land donated by Marlin H.H. and Rachel Coan for a church and cemetery. Platted in 1884, this cemetery originated as the church's burial ground. At that . . . — Map (db m94604) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — L1487 — Taylor Township Cemetery
This cemetery is the oldest of the city's three municipal burial grounds. More than half of the graves date from the nineteenth century. William Sutcliffe donated the land for a cemetery in 1819. Some of Taylor's earliest settlers are buried here as . . . — Map (db m95116) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — The Greenwald Herkimer House
The Greenwald-Herkimer House was built in the early 1900's by Frank and Ann Greenwald. The gingerbread trim is indicative of farmhouses of the period. The house once stood on the west side of Pardee Road near Eureka and was occupied until 1988. The . . . — Map (db m94835) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — The Log Cabin
Taylor's oldest existing home was built circa 1850 near what is now Pennsylvania Road between Telegraph and Beech Daly. Andrew and Elizabeth Strong and their children were the first family to live in the house. It was constructed on timbers atop a . . . — Map (db m94613) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — The Sell/Schonsheck House
The Sell/Schonsheck House, standing in its original location, was built circa 1900 by George W. Sell. The Sell family moved to Taylor in 1871 and farmed eighty acres of land. The produce was shipped by horse-drawn wagon to the Wyandotte market. . . . — Map (db m94615) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Town Hall
Marker 1 (in front of the Town Hall) In 1847 Taylor became an independent township named after General Zachary Taylor who later became president. Taylor's first Township Hall was built in 1886 and housed the services of the Township Board, . . . — Map (db m94612) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Water-Powered Mill
The Waterwheel, invented centuries ago, was the first mechanical device used to harness power. It even powered early Ford manufacturing plants in this region. Gristmills were used to make various flours and cornmeal. Sawmills were used to produce . . . — Map (db m94894) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — West Mound Church
Built by German settlers in 1882, this church was located on Eureka Road across from what is now Southland Shopping Center. Formerly known as West Mound United Methodist Church, it was donated to the City of Taylor and moved to Heritage Park in 1994 . . . — Map (db m94611) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement