Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Troy, Ohio Historical Markers

 
1804 Iddings Log House and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., December 27, 2008
1804 Iddings Log House and Marker
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 22-55 — 1804 Iddings Log House
The 1804 Iddings House is the oldest structure on its original site in Miami County. A second generation American and cousin to General “Mad” Anthony Wayne, Benjamin Iddings brought his wife, Phoebe, and six of their ten children up the . . . — Map (db m18429) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Courthouses and JailHistory in Downtown Troy
Log Jail built here, 1808 Log Jailers house built beside it in 1810. A second floor over both served as Troy’s second courthouse 1811- 1824. Troy’s fourth courthouse— Two-story, Greek Revival, brick building with columns in . . . — Map (db m107364) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 001 — Dilts Warehouse Plant No. 1WACO History
The “Dilts Warehouse”, the first manufacturing location used by the Advance Aircraft Company of Troy, a company later to become the WACO Aircraft Company. It produced airplanes in Troy from 1923-1928. The location was also a former . . . — Map (db m19751) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 26-55 — Elizabeth Township
Elizabeth Township was founded in 1807. The Elizabeth Township House was built about 1870, serving as the community's assembly hall. The building is similar to the seven remaining one-room, brick schoolhouses, built throughout the township between . . . — Map (db m28340) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 003 — Engine Storage LocationWACO History
This location, 209 East Water Street, was at one time one of the manufacturing locations for The Hayner Distillery Company of Troy, Ohio, noted for shipping their mail order alcohol products to their customers nation wide and for the development of . . . — Map (db m19754) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Historic Lock 12A Long Hidden Relic of the Miami & Erie Canal
In front of you is a “footprint” of Lock 12 using a portion of the lock stones from the original Lock 12. It’s constructed in accordance with the original dimensions of Lock 12. The historic display is placed on land owned by the City of . . . — Map (db m104415) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Hobart Brothers CompanyAt Lock 12 of the Miami & Erie Canal — 1917- 2017
Founded on March 24, 1917 by C.C. Hobart, his wife Ella and sons, Charles, Edward and William, Hobart Brothers Company was built on C.C.’s interest and experience in manufacturing. He had worked for the Edison Electrical Illuminating Company in . . . — Map (db m104450) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 13-55 — Junior Girls Canteen 1943-1946
During World War II, forty of Troy's teenage girls, their mothers, and volunteers operated a free canteen service for troops on the platform of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad station. The group began as a few neighborhood girls providing magazines to . . . — Map (db m19746) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — LFWB&G Building170 Year Old Building of Used Material — Recycling in the Nineteenth Century
Erected in 1847 out of the brick of the first Miami County Courthouse, which was located on the Public Square and razed in 1845 — Map (db m107374) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 33-55 — Miami and Erie CanalFootprint of Lock 12
Construction of the Miami Extension of the Miami and Erie Canal, which included Troy, began around 1834. Lock 12 was built in 1836. General William Henry Harrison and other dignitaries officially opened the Troy section on July 4, 1837. The canal . . . — Map (db m122871) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Miami County War Savings Quota Plaque
In recognition of the patriotism of the people of Miami County who oversubscribed their war savings quota in 1918 this tablet is gratefully erected by the Oho War Savings Committee — Map (db m107362) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 15-55 — Overfield Tavern
Benjamin Overfield (1774-1831), son of a Revolutionary War soldier, opened his tavern in this log house on September 13, 1808. Never moved, it is the oldest surviving building in Troy. The tavern provided food, lodging and space for business and . . . — Map (db m19747) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Rose Hill Cemetery 1849
War Veterans buried here: American Revolution: Aaron Tullis 1753-1840 Alexander Telford 1759-1844 John W. Meredith 1760-1844 Indian Campaigns: William Gahagan, Scout for Gen. Wayne, 1794 War of 1812: 25 Soldiers, . . . — Map (db m107341) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Sheriff’s House and JailPart of the Complex in Downtown Troy
Sheriff’s House built in 1826 Jail in rear built in 1830. Both served until 1854, when the brick sheriff’s house and the stone jail across the street were completed. — Map (db m107375) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Staunton Veterans Memorial
In memory of Veterans Revolutionary War and War of 1812 They served with honor — Map (db m97837) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 16-55 — Thomas Cemetery / Abraham Thomas
Side A: Thomas Cemetery Thomas Cemetery is the resting place for many of Concord Township's and Miami County's early settlers. The cemetery is maintained by Concord Township. This marker was placed here in Miami County's and Concord . . . — Map (db m28352) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Troy Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to those men and women who served America in times of peace and war May 30, 1992 — Map (db m90711) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Troy's Public Square & Third Courthouse
Miami County formed and Troy chosen as county seat in 1807. Andrew Wallace laid out Public Square as site of Courthouse, and surveyed first 87 lots of Troy, bounded by Water, Clay, Canal, and Oxford Streets. Two-story brick Courthouse, 40' x . . . — Map (db m76522) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Twin Arch Stone CulvertMiami & Erie Canal — How Does a Canal Cross a Creek?
The Twin Arch stone culvert was constructed in 1837 as part of the “extension” of the original Miami and Erie Canal which ran from Dayton to Piqua. The purpose of the Twin Arch was to carry stream water from the Howell Ditch under the . . . — Map (db m122981) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 7-55 — WACO Aircraft Company(Weaver Aircraft Company)
Founded in 1921 as the Weaver Aircraft Company and located in Lorain, Ohio, the Waco Aircraft Company relocated to Troy in March 1923. It was the first aircraft company to use assembly line production and shock strut landing gear. Leading all . . . — Map (db m40631) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.