Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Waynesboro, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Bellevue Plantation Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, September 27, 2012
Bellevue Plantation Marker
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-18 — Bellevue Plantation
Dating from a royal grant by King George III to Samuel Eastlake in 1767, Belleview Plantation has been owned continuously by the Carswell family since 1835. The year in which the house was built is not known but it is believed to have been erected . . . — Map (db m59870) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-3 — Botsford Church - 1773—→
Botsford Church, Constituted in 1773 by the Rev. Edmund Botsford, was the second Baptist church in Georgia. Originally located 25 miles below Augusta, known as the New Savannah Church, it was moved about 10 miles to this place after the Revolution. . . . — Map (db m13116) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-6 — Burke County
Burke County, an original county, was created by the Const. of Feb. 5, 1777, from Creek Cession of May 30, 1733. In 1758, it had been organized as the Parish of St. George. Originally, it contained parts of Jefferson, Jenkins and Screven Counties. . . . — Map (db m7856) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — Burke County Veteran's Memorial
Side 1: For those who fought for it Freedom has a taste the protected will never know The people of Burke County dedicate this memorial to the men who died in Vietnam. John A. Bennett • Jackson E. Cox • Theus E. . . . — Map (db m80104) WM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-8 — Burke County's 8 Governors
Historic Burke County, formerly St. George`s Parish, claims 8 Ga. Governors by birth, residence or marriage. JOHN HOUSTOUN (1744-1796), Rev. patriot, member of Continental Congress, Gov. 1778-1779 & 1784-1785, was born near present Waynesboro. LYMAN . . . — Map (db m7867) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — Colonels Twiggs and Few
In Honor Of The Men Under Command Of Colonel Twiggs And Colonel Few Who Victoriously Defended The Cause Of The American Revolution At The Battle Of Burke Jail In 1779 Erected by the Georgia Society and the Edmund Burke Chapter . . . — Map (db m7902) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 17-4 — First Presbyterian Church»—→
Scotch Presbyterians of St. George`s Parish, now Burke County, by 1760 had organized churches at Brier Creek, Old Church (formerly Episcopalian) and Walnut Branch. In 1771 Rev. Josiah Lewis became the first permanent pastor, sent by the Synod of New . . . — Map (db m40268) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — Ivanhoe Plantation1765
Ivanhoe Plantation was established in 1765 by a Crown Grant to Thomas Whitehead from King George III of England. The plantation is located 3 or 4 miles east of Waynesboro, Georgia and 15 miles along Brier Creek going down stream. The grant . . . — Map (db m103303) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — Lost Burke County Men S.S. Otranto
This tablet is placed to perpetuate the memory of Burke County (Ga) men who, in the service of their country in the World War, lost their lives in the sinking of the S.S. OTRANTO, October 6th 1918 Wm. Broadus Carter, Wm. D. Herrington . . . — Map (db m7900) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-2 — Old Quaker Road
The highway bearing left is the Old Quaker road, on of Georgia's earliest vehicular highways. It was opened about 1769 to provide a direct way from Savannah to a Quaker settlement centering around Wrightsboro in today's upper McDuffie County. . . . — Map (db m8022) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 25 B-4 — Shell Bluff
Shell Bluff on the Savannah River 15 miles northeast has been famous since Indian days because of its outcrops of fossil shells including those of giant oysters. These lived in the Eocene sea that covered this part of Georgia some 50 million years . . . — Map (db m13134) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L24 — Skirmish at Ivanhoe PlantationCatharine Whitehead Rowland's Diary — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This land is part of the former Ivanhoe Plantation property of the Whitehead family. The plantations home was located near the northeast corner of the Quaker road and the Walker Bridge road (Story Mill Road). A diary kept by 26-year-old Catharine . . . — Map (db m103374) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-13 — Skirmish at Rocky Creek Church
Dec. 2, 1864. Baird's Division, 14th Corps [US], marching on the left of Gen. Sherman’s army in support of Kilpatrick’s cavalry division, which was enroute to burn the bridges over Brier Creek, NE of Waynesboro, reached Rocky Creek about 10:00 A.M. . . . — Map (db m60505) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-16 — The Cavalry Actions at Waynesboro
Late on Nov. 26, 1864, elements of the 3rd Cavalry Division (USA), Brig. Gen. J.L. Kilpatrick, USA, of Gen. Sherman`s army, reached the railroad bridge north of Waynesboro and partially burned it before being driven off by troops of the Cavalry . . . — Map (db m7903) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L25 — The J.D. Roberts HomeA Witness to the Battles for Waynesborough — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Built about 1858 in the Georgian Cottage style as a home for J. D. Roberts, the house was designed by noted architect John Trowbridge. Subsequent occupants have included a doctor's office, millinery shop and county museum. In late 1864 the house . . . — Map (db m103299) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — To Honor George WashingtonWho Lodged Here May 17-18, 1791.
The game is yet in our own hands; to play it well is all we have to do – nothing but harmony, honesty, industry and frugality are necessary to make us a great and happy people. George Washington — Map (db m59851) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 17-1 — Washington’s Southern Tour
Traveling from Savannah to Augusta on his Southern tour of 1791, President George Washington stopped in Waynesboro on May 17. Departing from Savannah two days earlier, Washington lodged at "one Spencers " in Effingham County, fifteen miles north of . . . — Map (db m7800) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 017-10 — Waynesborough
On July 31, 1783, an Act was passed by the General Assembly meeting in Augusta to lay out a town, Waynesborough, on reserved or private land. Commissioners named (Thomas Lewis, Sr., Thomas Lewis, Jr., John Duhart, Edward Telfair, John Jones) were . . . — Map (db m7868) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement