Named for Gap in Table Mountain. Established Feb. 14, 1878; post office transferred in 1882 to the town of Content 2 miles north. The one-room structure has hand-hewn cedar rafters, cedar shingle roof, and walls of roughly-hewn oak logs. Also served . . . — — Map (db m77996) HM
Mass production of the automobile ushered in an era of business expansion and increased mobility. Food stands and booths quickly appeared along roadways for hungry motorists. These stands eventually evolved into the drive-in, complete with curb . . . — — Map (db m104061) HM
Settled in 1880's. Named for C.R. Crews, Ballinger businessman. Mrs. Betty Sims was earliest voluntary teacher–mail carrier. School was built 1890 (with the Rev. Mr. Lockhart, first teacher). Post office established 1892 in Wise & Broughten . . . — — Map (db m79248) HM
Originally called County Line. Name changed when general store owner R.O. Kerr applied for a post office and was granted one under name Drasco on Dec. 16, 1904. (Post office site is across street, south.) Kerr was postmaster until 1909.
First . . . — — Map (db m81910) HM
First local industrial plant. Processed cottonseed into cake, meal, hulls, oil. Gave city good payroll, a work whistle marking times of day, and a good aroma.
Built 1909-10 by Bird, Hall & Mertz, of San Angelo. Stone for millhouse was . . . — — Map (db m82479) HM
Named in honor of William Wyatt Poe, who came to Texas from his native Alabama in late 1870. Married Jerusha Evaline Cline in 1885; had ten children.
Moved family to Runnels County, 1904. Gave land for school and church buildings. Was school . . . — — Map (db m77945) HM
Born in Emory, Texas, youngest son of William and Nancy Cooke.
Attended Waco College (now Baylor University); medical school in Kentucky, received degree, 1886.
Began practice, Kentuckytown. Moved to Winters area in 1889. Became town’s . . . — — Map (db m82478) HM
This two-story native stone commercial structure was built by Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Heath, who operated a local mercantile in partnership with Ira Beard. Constructed to accommodate early travelers and workers on the railroad, the Rock Hotel was . . . — — Map (db m95281) HM
Fritz Armbrecht, accompanied by his friend August Spill, Sr., was reportedly the first Lutheran to arrive in this area. The men came from Comal County in the 1880s and bought property, bringing their families here in 1890. Armbrecht’s land included . . . — — Map (db m95280) HM
From its beginning as a west central Texas frontier community Winters grew from a retail support center for the surrounding agricultural community to a small-town railroad link to an oil, gas and manufacturing center. Settlement of the area of . . . — — Map (db m82443) HM
Focus of social life during Winters’ early years, the band played throughout the area for box suppers, old settlers reunions, and political campaigns. Charles Grant organized the group in 1901 (sever years after the town was incorporated) and . . . — — Map (db m82477) HM
In the fall of 1928, a Future Farmers Club was organized with 30 members of the vocational agriculture class at Winters High School. The same year, a national Future Farmers of America (FFA) Club was started in Kansas City, Mo. On April 10, 1930, . . . — — Map (db m95279) HM
Founded in upper room of schoolhouse ten years before Winters became a town. Chartered Dec. 7, 1892. First officers: J.T. Brown, Worshipful Master; Ervin Brown, Senior Warden; W.S. Mullin, Junior Warden.
After a 1910 fire, lodge moved to . . . — — Map (db m82444) HM
Founded on January 4, 1954
by Miss Myra Glover
Dedicated on October 13, 1963
Because she has given so generously of herself for the benefit of all,
the Citizens of Winters, Texas,
dedicate this library to Miss Myra Glover . . . — — Map (db m71705) HM
Founded 1906 by John Q. McAdams, who served 17 years as cashier, and since as president. Original capitalization was $15,000.
First located immediately south; moved to this site 1909.
Bought Farmers & Merchants State Bank, 1913; First . . . — — Map (db m82445) HM