Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Winters, Texas Historical Markers

 
Blue Gap Post Office Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 4, 2014
Blue Gap Post Office Marker
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — Blue Gap Post Office
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) north of E. Dale Street, on the right when traveling north.
Named for Gap in Table Mountain. Established Feb. 14, 1878; post office transferred in 1882 to the town of Content 2 miles north. The one-room structure has hand-hewn cedar rafters, cedar shingle roof, and walls of roughly-hewn oak logs. Also served . . . — Map (db m77996) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 17593 — Chick Inn Diner
On S. Main Street (U.S. 83) 0.2 miles south of County Road 385, on the right when traveling south.
Mass production of the automobile ushered in an era of business expansion and increased mobility. Food stands and booths quickly appeared along roadways for hungry motorists. These stands eventually evolved into the drive-in, complete with curb . . . — Map (db m104061) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 1108 — Crews
On State Highway 153 at Farm to Market Road 382, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 153.
Settled in 1880's. Named for C.R. Crews, Ballinger businessman. Mrs. Betty Sims was earliest voluntary teacher–mail carrier. School was built 1890 (with the Rev. Mr. Lockhart, first teacher). Post office established 1892 in Wise & Broughten . . . — Map (db m79248) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 1285 — Drasco Community
On Farm to Market Road 2595 at Farm to Market Road 2405, on the right when traveling west on Road 2595.
Originally called County Line. Name changed when general store owner R.O. Kerr applied for a post office and was granted one under name Drasco on Dec. 16, 1904. (Post office site is across street, south.) Kerr was postmaster until 1909.      First . . . — Map (db m81910) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 3713 — Old Cotton Oil Mill
On N. Melwood Street at W. College Street, on the left when traveling north on N. Melwood Street.
First local industrial plant. Processed cottonseed into cake, meal, hulls, oil. Gave city good payroll, a work whistle marking times of day, and a good aroma.      Built 1909-10 by Bird, Hall & Mertz, of San Angelo. Stone for millhouse was . . . — Map (db m82479) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 4061 — Poe Chapel
On State Highway 153 at Farm to Market Road 384, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 153.
Named in honor of William Wyatt Poe, who came to Texas from his native Alabama in late 1870. Married Jerusha Evaline Cline in 1885; had ten children.      Moved family to Runnels County, 1904. Gave land for school and church buildings. Was school . . . — Map (db m77945) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 4291 — Robert Cooke, M.D.
Near N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at W. College Street.
Born in Emory, Texas, youngest son of William and Nancy Cooke.      Attended Waco College (now Baylor University); medical school in Kentucky, received degree, 1886.      Began practice, Kentuckytown. Moved to Winters area in 1889. Became town’s . . . — Map (db m82478) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 4317 — Rock Hotel
Near W. Dales Street (Loop State Highway 438) at N. Melwood Street, on the right when traveling west.
This two-story native stone commercial structure was built by Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Heath, who operated a local mercantile in partnership with Ira Beard. Constructed to accommodate early travelers and workers on the railroad, the Rock Hotel was . . . — Map (db m95281) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 13307 — St. John's Lutheran Church
On W. Parsonage Street at N. West Street, on the right when traveling west on W. Parsonage Street.
Fritz Armbrecht, accompanied by his friend August Spill, Sr., was reportedly the first Lutheran to arrive in this area. The men came from Comal County in the 1880s and bought property, bringing their families here in 1890. Armbrecht’s land included . . . — Map (db m95280) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 17911 — Winters
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) north of E. Dale Street, on the right when traveling north.
From its beginning as a west central Texas frontier community Winters grew from a retail support center for the surrounding agricultural community to a small-town railroad link to an oil, gas and manufacturing center. Settlement of the area of . . . — Map (db m82443) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5870 — Winters Brass Band
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at E. College Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Main Street.
Focus of social life during Winters’ early years, the band played throughout the area for box suppers, old settlers reunions, and political campaigns. Charles Grant organized the group in 1901 (sever years after the town was incorporated) and . . . — Map (db m82477) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5871 — Winters FFA Chapter
On Poplar Street at N. Heights Street, on the right when traveling east on Poplar Street.
In the fall of 1928, a Future Farmers Club was organized with 30 members of the vocational agriculture class at Winters High School. The same year, a national Future Farmers of America (FFA) Club was started in Kansas City, Mo. On April 10, 1930, . . . — Map (db m95279) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — Winters Korean Veterans Memorial
Near N. Rogers Street at Novice Road (Farm to Market Road 1770).
In Honor Of Korean Veterans — Map (db m82613) WM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5872 — Winters Lodge No. 743, A.F. & A.M.
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at E. Dale Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Main Street.
Founded in upper room of schoolhouse ten years before Winters became a town. Chartered Dec. 7, 1892. First officers: J.T. Brown, Worshipful Master; Ervin Brown, Senior Warden; W.S. Mullin, Junior Warden.      After a 1910 fire, lodge moved to . . . — Map (db m82444) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — Winters Public Library
On Main Street (U.S. 83) north of Dale Street (Loop Texas Highway 438), on the right when traveling north.
Founded on January 4, 1954 by Miss Myra Glover Dedicated on October 13, 1963 Because she has given so generously of herself for the benefit of all, the Citizens of Winters, Texas, dedicate this library to Miss Myra Glover . . . — Map (db m71705) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5873 — Winters State Bank
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at W. Dale Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Main Street.
Founded 1906 by John Q. McAdams, who served 17 years as cashier, and since as president. Original capitalization was $15,000.      First located immediately south; moved to this site 1909.      Bought Farmers & Merchants State Bank, 1913; First . . . — Map (db m82445) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement