On Washington Avenue (Georgia Route 41) at West Madison Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Avenue.
At Talbotton on Jan. 26, 1846, the first meeting of the Supreme Court of Georgia was held in the dining hall of the old Claiborne Hotel which stood one block west of this marker. Judge Hiram Warner and Judge Eugenius A. Nisbet were present. Judge . . . — — Map (db m27365) HM
On Monroe Street (Georgia Route 208) 0.1 miles west of Taylor Street, on the right when traveling west.
George Washington Towns was born in Wilkes County, Georgia, May 4, 1801, and died in Macon, Georgia, July 15, 1854. A lawyer and resident of Talbotton, Georgia, Towns served as state legislator, U.S. Congressman, and Governor of Georgia (1847-51). . . . — — Map (db m39905) HM
On Georgia Route 208 0.4 miles east of Buckner Road, on the right when traveling west.
The Federal Road across the Creek Indian County, western Georgia’s first vehicular way, passed here leading from Fort Hawkins (now Macon) to the Alabama River above Mobile. The trace, which followed closely the course of the earlier noted Lower . . . — — Map (db m27366) HM
On West Monroe Street (Georgia Route 208) at North Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Monroe Street.
After leaving Bavaria, Lazarus Straus dispensed his merchandise over several states searching for home for his family. In 1854, he, his wife, and four children settled in a comfortable house one block from here. An expert merchant and a learned man, . . . — — Map (db m27342) HM
On Washington Avenue (Georgia Route 22) 0 miles north of West Monroe Street (Georgia Route 208), on the left when traveling north.
In 1854, Lazarus Strauss brought his wife and four children to Talbotton to their first home in America. Here he established a store, the first in a series that led to Macy’s, one of the leading department stores in the world. Straus and his sons, . . . — — Map (db m27343) HM
On North Jefferson Avenue at Harrison Street, on the left when traveling north on North Jefferson Avenue.
Here stood the small frame house in which Lazarus Straus and his family lived when they came to Talbotton in 1854. Seeking a new home in America after leaving Bavaria, Straus visited Talbotton during a “court week” and decided to make . . . — — Map (db m38249) HM
On Washington Avenue (Georgia Route 41) at West Monroe Street (Georgia Route 208), on the right when traveling south on Washington Avenue.
Talbot County was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Muscogee County. Originally, it included part of Taylor County. It was named for Matthew Talbot (1767-1827), member of legislature, member of the Convention that framed the Constitution of Ga., . . . — — Map (db m27364) HM
On Washington Avenue (U.S. 80) 0 miles north of College Street, on the right when traveling north.
As Methodism moved across Georgia, in 1830 Jesse Sinclair and Henry W. Hilliard were sent by the South Carolina Methodist Conference to the Flint River Mission of which Talbot Co. was a part. In 1831 this circuit became a part of the newly formed . . . — — Map (db m23089) HM
On Washington Avenue (U.S. 80) 0 miles south of Polk Street, on the right when traveling north.
The edifice has been spared modernization and is a perfect replica of a typical English rural parish church of the Tudor-Gothic period.
The altar, communion rail, lectern-pulpit, and prayer desk are handmade of native walnut. The entire structure . . . — — Map (db m27233) HM
On Pleasant Hill Street (Georgia Route 36) 0 miles west of Double Bridges Road, on the right when traveling west.
An ante-bellum Alabama Rd. crossing of Flint River at Owens Island, 1.25 mi. N. of the old DuBignon Ferry & 2.5 mi. N.E. of this point.
Wilson’s Cav. seized Columbus Apr. 16, 1865. On the 17th, Minty’s div. was sent to blaze a trail to . . . — — Map (db m38222) HM
On Manchester Highway (Georgia Route 41) 0.1 miles south of Old Alabama Road, on the right when traveling north.
Ante-bellum settlement on the Old Alabama Rd., between the Chattahoochee at Columbus & the Flint River at the Double Bridges.
Columbus was seized by Federal Cav. under Gen. James H. Wilson, April 16, 1865. The next day Minty’s div. was sent . . . — — Map (db m37461) HM