Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Amite County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Centreville Marker image, Touch for more information
July 21, 2016
Centreville Marker
Mississippi (Amite County), Centreville — Centreville (Elysian Fields)
On State Highway 24/33 at East Howard Street (State Highway 48), on the left when traveling north on State Highway 24/33.
Began as Spanish relay post. Was known prior to 1824 as Elysian Fields, or Amite Courthouse. Chartered in 1880. After 1884, new town, springing up on railroad, gradually absorbed old site. — Map (db m96426) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Crosby — Crosby
On State Highway 33 north of Church Street, on the left when traveling north.
Named Dayton in 1884 in honor of David Day who gave the R.R. right-of-way. In 1917, Foster Creek Lumber & Mfg. Co. mill & town of Stephenson est. here. In 1934, named for L.O. Crosby who bought the vast co. holdings. — Map (db m96180) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Gloster — Gloster
On Captain Gloster Drive (State Highway 24) at State Highway 33, on the left when traveling east on Captain Gloster Drive.
On Mar. 11, 1884, Gloster City was chartered. Named for Capt. Arthur W. Gloster, R.R. engin. Located on watershed of Amite & Miss. Rivers. Elev. 435 Ft. On Apr. 6, 1935, a tornado hit the town killing 9 residents. — Map (db m96030) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — "Three Chopped Way"
On Main Street (State Highway 48/24) near Holmes Street, on the right when traveling east.
This road, marked in 1807 with three notches on trees and used as a post road, ran from Natchez to Milledgeville, Georgia. Here Sam Dale became famous as a scout and guide.

Dedicated by Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m137972) HM

Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite County Courthouse
On Main Street (State Highway 24) east of Broad Street, on the right when traveling east.
The State's oldest courthouse, built in 1839-41, replaced the building located on this historic square. Seat of Amite County, formed Feb. 24, 1809. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m92615) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite Female Seminary
On Clinic Street east of Old Jackson Rd. (Mississippi Highway 569), on the right when traveling east.
Locally known as the Little Red School House, the Amite Female Seminary was established in 1853 by Rev. Milton S. Shirk. The school's curriculum included music, literature, history, mathematics, modern languages, philosophy, science and physical . . . — Map (db m92629) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Battle Of Liberty
On North Church Street 0.1 miles from Main Street (Mississippi Highway 24/48), on the left when traveling north.
On November 16, 1864, Union cavalry under Col. Benjamin Marsh captured a small Confederate force at Liberty. Marsh had hoped to capture Brig. Gen. George Hodge, but he escaped. The next day, Brig. Gen. Albert Lee reinforced the Federals with 1,700 . . . — Map (db m92730) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Confederate Monument
On North Church Street 0.1 miles north of Main Street (Mississippi Highway 24/48), on the left when traveling north.
Erected on land donated in 1868 by the Liberty Masonic Lodge, this Confederate monument was designed and built by A.J. Lewis. The shaft is inscribed with the names of 279 Amite County Confederate soldiers who died during the Civil War. Dedicated in . . . — Map (db m92709) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Herbert Lee
On Gillsburg Road Avenue (State Highway 584) north of West Borden Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Herbert Lee, a 42-year-old dairy farmer in the Amite County area, became a member of the NAACP in the early 1950s. In the fall of 1961, Lee began transporting voting rights activists within the Pike and Amite County area. On September 25, 1961, . . . — Map (db m92564) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — 7 — Jerry Clower
On State Highway 24/48 at East Fork Road, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 24/48.
(Side A) A Liberty native, Jerry Clower (1926-1998) brought his colorful, observant, comic stories of southern life — developed as a sales tool as he worked as a fertilizer salesman — to live shows, recordings, television, . . . — Map (db m92559) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — John H. Nunnery
On Meadville Road 0.2 miles north of Tynes Lane, on the left when traveling north.
Across the road is site of home built in 1836 by John H. Nunnery, early settler of Amite County. He had eight sons in Civil War, one in Sp.~Am. War. New Zion Baptist Church was organized here, Oct. 4, 1881. — Map (db m137969) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty
On Main Street (State Highway 24) at Broad Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Founded 1809 and chartered 1828. Site of first Confederate monument in state, 1871. Here Gail Borden conducted condensed milk experiments. Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic was also originated here. — Map (db m92616) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty Missionary Baptist Church
On Walnut Drive at North Church Streeet, on the left when traveling north on Walnut Drive.
Founded as the Liberty Colored Church in March 1870 after fifteen black members requested letters of dismissal from Liberty Baptist Church to organize their own congregation. Under the leadership of their first pastor, Rev. Fred Stirling, these . . . — Map (db m92617) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Old Natchez District
On State Highway 24/48 0.5 miles east of Peoria Road, on the right when traveling west.
Ceded by Choctaws & Chickasaws in Fort Adams Treaty, 1801, confirming earlier British treaty. Contained most of present Warren, Jefferson, Claiborne, Adams, Franklin, Wilkinson & Amite counties. — Map (db m92556) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement