Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Harrisonburg Virginia Historical Markers

 
Chestnut Ridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 20, 2012
Chestnut Ridge Marker
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Chestnut RidgeDeath of Ashby — 1862 Valley Campaign —
Near Turner Ashby Lane 0.2 miles north of Neff Avenue.
On June 6, 1862, the vanguard of Union Gen. John C. Frémont’s force, pursuing Confederate Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s army south up the Shenandoah Valley, reached this point near Harrisonburg. Jackson’s rear guard, led by Gen. . . . — Map (db m15752) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Confederate General HospitalHarrisonburg Female Academy
On South Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles north of Campbell Street, on the left when traveling north.
Harrisonburg was Rockingham County’s seat of government and largest town, and it was an ideal site for a hospital. When the Civil War began in 1861, although the railroad had not yet extended to Harrisonburg, the town sat at the intersection of four . . . — Map (db m39330) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Confederate Monument
On East Market Street (U.S. 33), on the left when traveling west.
(North face):This Monument is erected by the Ladies Memorial Association in grateful remembrance of the gallant Confederate Soldiers, who lie here. They died in defense of the rights of the South, in the war between the States, from 1861 to . . . — Map (db m16487) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Court Square & SpringhouseTemporary Prison Camp
On Main Street (Business U.S. 11), on the left when traveling north.
During the Civil War, a road (Market Street) ran east and west through the courthouse square, dividing it roughly in half. The courthouse occupied the northern portion while the jail, clerk’s office, and springhouse were in the southern section. . . . — Map (db m16482) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — A-120 — Edgar Amos Love(1891–1974)
On Stering Street at Effinger Street, on the left when traveling north on Stering Street.
Edgar Amos Love, son of a Methodist minister, was born in Harrisonburg in 189l. On 17 Nov. 1911, while a student at Howard University, he co-founded Omega Psi Phi, the first fraternity established at a historically black college. . . . — Map (db m89327) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — A-35 — End of the Campaign
On South Main Street (U.S. 11) south of Monument Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Here Stonewall Jackson, retreating up the Valley before the converging columns of Fremont and Shields, turned at bay, June 1862. A mile southeast Jackson’s cavalry commander, Ashby, was killed, June 6. At Cross Keys, six miles southeast, Ewell of . . . — Map (db m2869) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Gen. Turner AshbyC. S. A.
On Turner Ashby Lane.
was killed on this spot, June 6, 1862, gallantly leading a charge. — Map (db m58591) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — General Turner Ashby of Fauquier
On South Main Street (U.S. 11) at Port Republic Road, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m14281) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Hardesty-Higgins HouseBanks's Headquarters
On South Main Street (Business U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north.
This was the home of Harrisonburg’s first mayor, Isaac Hardesty, an apothecary. Elected in 1849, Hardesty served until 1860. His Unionist sympathies compelled him to leave for Maryland after the Civil War began. Early in the first week of May 1862, . . . — Map (db m41496) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — A-33 — Harrisonburg
On Main Street (Business U.S. 11), on the left when traveling north.
Here Thomas Harrison and wife deeded land for the Rockingham County public buildings, August 5, 1779. The same act established both Louisville, Ky., and Harrisonburg, May, 1780. Named for its founder, the town was also known as Rocktown. It was . . . — Map (db m16484) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — A-103 — James Madison University
On South Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles north of Bluestone Drive, on the right when traveling north.
The university was founded in 1908, through the efforts of state senator George B. Keezell, of Rockingham County, as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg. In 1924 it became the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg, . . . — Map (db m39327) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — A-104 — James Madison University
On Port Republic Road (Virginia Route 253) at Bluestone Drive, on the right when traveling west on Port Republic Road.
The university was founded in 1908, through the efforts of state senator George B. Keezell, of Rockingham County, as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg. In 1924 it became the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg, . . . — Map (db m39328) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — McNeill’s Rangers“Hurah for McNeal”
On South Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles north of East Bruce Street, on the right when traveling north.
Harrisonburg is associated with the exploits of McNeill’s Rangers, a famous Confederate partisan unit. In 1862, John Hanson McNeill, a native of Hardy County in present-day West Virginia, recruited men for Co. E, 18th Virginia Cavalry. With McNeill . . . — Map (db m39331) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — A-124 — Newtown Cemetery
On Kelley Street at Hill Street, on the right when traveling east on Kelley Street.
African Americans established the community of Newtown in this area after the Civil War. In 1869 five trustees purchased land here for a cemetery open to "all persons of color." By 1920 the cemetery had expanded three times to accommodate . . . — Map (db m103813) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Rockingham County World War I Memorial
On South Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
They Tasted Death In Youth That Liberty Might Grow Old To commemorate those who, at the call of country, left all, endured hardships, faced danger, and finally passed out of sight of men by the path of duty, giving up their lives that others . . . — Map (db m86489) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — The Battle of Harrisonburg
Near Turner Ashby Lane 0.2 miles north of Neff Avenue.
On wooded Chestnut Ridge the evening of Friday, June 6, 1862, Pennsylvania Bucktails under Col. Kane were defeated in a hard fight with the 58th Va. under Col. Letcher and Gen. Turner Ashby and the 1st Md. under Col. Bradley Johnson. Gen. Ashby . . . — Map (db m40317) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — The Big SpringOur Anchor in Time
On Courthouse Square (U.S. 33) east of West Market Street (U.S. 33), on the left when traveling east.
“For generations this great spring was the main source of water supply for the town. Before the white man settled around it the Indians and the buffaloes knew it well. It was at the crossing of two old trails—one up and down the Valley, . . . — Map (db m11720) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — The Woodbine Cemetery
On East Market Street (U.S. 33), on the left.
The Woodbine Cemetery Company, Incorporated March 19, 1850 1877 These gates are erected in memory of the officers and members of the Woodbine Society, who gave generously of their time and means to beautify this cemetery, where they now rest from . . . — Map (db m16486) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Warren-Sipe HouseHome and Hospital
On South Main Street (Business U.S. 11), on the left when traveling north.
This was the home of Edward T.H. Warren, a Harrisonburg attorney. As a lieutenant in the Valley Guards, a Rockingham County militia company, Warren attended the trial and execution of John Brown in Charles Town (in present-day West Virginia) in . . . — Map (db m41497) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — A-30 — Where Ashby Fell
On South Main Street (Business U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north.
A mile and a half east of this point, Turner Ashby, Stonewall Jackson’s cavalry commander, was killed, June 6, 1862, while opposing Fremont’s advance. — Map (db m16488) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — Woodbine CemeteryThe Soldiers’ Section
Near East Market Street (U.S. 33) at Reservoir Street.
During the Civil War, Woodbine Cemetery was Harrisonburg’s principal burial ground. Chartered in March 1850, it opened later that year after the city’s first mayor, Isaac Hardesty, sold 2.5 acres of his property to the cemetery company. The need for . . . — Map (db m39333) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement