Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Chattahoochee County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Battle of Hitchity Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
Battle of Hitchity Marker
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Cusseta — 026-3 — Battle of Hitchity
In February, 1836, after rumors of unrest among the Creek Indians and a report of 500 having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Bryants Ferry, 22 members of the Georgia Militia under Col. John H. Watson were sent out from Columbus to investigate the . . . — Map (db m55463) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Cusseta — 026-4 — Chattahoochee County
Chattahoochee County, created by Act of February 13, 1854, was cut off from Muscogee and Marion Counties. It was named for the Chattahoochee River. Its courthouse, constructed in 1854, was built of select heart lumber from the Long Leaf Pine by . . . — Map (db m38841) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Cusseta — Chattahoochee County Jail
Side 1: This jail is situated on property that was purchased soon after the county was created on February 13, 1854. Mr. Asbury Bryan was paid $1,250 for the original two-story log jail that was completed by July 20, 1855, under the . . . — Map (db m38971) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Cusseta — Confederate Veterans
In memory of Confederate Veterans of Chattahoochee County 1861 – 1865 United Daughters Confederacy — Map (db m61885) WM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Cusseta — Cusseta School
On this site, a brick school building was erected in 1911 on land purchased from G. W. King, Sr. A resolution was passed on June 6, 1922 to consolidate Big Sandy, Liberty Hill, Renfroe, and Providence Schools with Cusseta. In 1929, all high schools . . . — Map (db m38790) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Cusseta — 026-4 — Kasihta (Cusseta)
Kashita, “the Peace Town of the Lower Creeks,” one of two great Muskogee towns in the Creek Confederation of Indians, stood on the site of the Generals’ Headquarters at Fort Benning. Kashita, mentioned in the narrative of Desoto’s . . . — Map (db m38838) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Cusseta — VFW Post 5000
VFW Post 5000 Honors Veterans of Foreign Wars For Preserving Freedom for All Citizens of The United States of America — Map (db m110835) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — 026-5 — "Riverside"
“Riverside” was built in 1909 by Arthur Bussey, a prominent Columbus, Georgia businessman, and served as a summer home for the Bussey family. The spacious dwelling was surrounded by one of the last self-supporting plantations in this . . . — Map (db m57605) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — "The Buffaloes"The 17th Infantry Regiment
17th Infantry Regiment “The Buffaloes” Truth and Courage Battle Campaigns Civil War · Indian Wars · War with Spain · Philippine Insurrection · Mexican Expedition · World War II · Korean War ·Vietnam War · Operation . . . — Map (db m112532) WM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — 505th Parachute Infantry
This marker commemorates the activation on 6 July 1942 of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment in the Frying Pan area near here. Lieutenant Colonel James M. Gavin was the first commander. Assigned to the 82d Airborne Division in February 1943, the . . . — Map (db m14512) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — Dwight David EisenhowerOctober 14, 1890 ~ March 28, 1969
Side 1: The 34th President of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower, lived with his family at 206 Austin Loop, while stationed at Fort Benning as a major from 1926-1927. During that time, he served as executive office of the . . . — Map (db m57604) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — Fort Benning - Station Hospital / National Infantry Museum
Fort Benning - Station Hospital In 1923 the U.S. Congress appropriated funds for the erection of a hospital at Fort Benning. The hospital complex, consisting of ten buildings, was opened in 1925. During World War Two as many as 36, 000 . . . — Map (db m57705) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — Fort Benning / Fort Benning Military Reservation
Side 1: Fort Benning Kasihta or Cusseta Town, an important Creek Nation market, played a part in American Revolutionary affairs. In 1780 British Colonel John Tate recruited a large force of local Indians for duty with the British in . . . — Map (db m57897) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — General George C. Marshall House
Marshall House Named in Honor Of GEN George C. Marshall US Army Awarded Distinguished Service Medal 7981 First Division Road 791 — Map (db m113103) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — Gowdy FieldDedicated 31 March 1925
Named in honor of Sgt Hank Gowdy who put his major league career on hold to join the infantry and serve the nation in WWI Rededicated 29 April 2005 Fort Benning Soldiers and family members Cal Ripken,Jr. BG Benjamin Freakley       Gary . . . — Map (db m15003) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — Old Federal Road
The Old Federal Road, which intersected the Chattahoochee River at this natural fording site, was originally a Lower Creek Indian Nation trading path. With the advent of colonization, it became one of western Georgia's earliest and most important . . . — Map (db m40597) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — Post Headquarters -- JAG1911-2009
On this site stood Building 5, the first permanent Post HQ building and later the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Building. Built in 1911 as a dairy creamery, it became the Officers' Mess in 1919. In 1924 it became the Post HQ, headed by the . . . — Map (db m57464) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — The Infantry Board
Side 1: On 15 December 1919, War Department Orders established the Infantry Board as a development and testing laboratory with permanent station at Fort Benning, Georgia. The Board’s mission was to consider, with continuity of effort, . . . — Map (db m57078) HM
Georgia (Chattahoochee County), Fort Benning — The Lafayette Monument
Along the Federal Road built in 1811 east and west through this place there passed in 1825 Lafayette Soldier of France and volunteer in the cause of American Liberty “At the first news my heart was enrolled” Here stood the Indian . . . — Map (db m111889) HM WM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.