Ages ago Wyoming was covered by seas. Through a period of millions of years the land gradually rose, leaving the present landscape of plains, mountains and rolling hills. As the land emerged, erosion began and through eons of time, formed Ayres . . . — — Map (db m92098) HM
From this point, the Bozeman Trail wound a long, twisting northwesterly route to the Montana goldfields. This view points out a portion of that difficult and dangerous road. The map shows the locations of forts, rivers and mountains along the trail. . . . — — Map (db m80089) HM
Car #1886 was built at St. Louis Car Company in 1884 as a part of an order for ten short sixty foot coaches for service on the so called "Cowboy Line" of the C&NW being built at the time through Douglas to Lander, Wyoming.
The car was rebuilt in . . . — — Map (db m92181) HM
The oldest piece in the display, the car was built by the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad in the company shops at Plattsmouth, Nebraska in 1884 at a cost of $1023 as a mainline freight caboose. It was rebuilt and modernized with new brake . . . — — Map (db m92182) HM
This massive steam locomotive was donated to the people of the State of Wyoming by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company. It was moved dead-in-train from Galesburg, Ill to Orin then via C&NW Railroad to Douglas in April of 1962. Title . . . — — Map (db m92162) HM
This car was built by the Budd Company at Philadelphia, PA as a 48 seat Diner in March 1947. It was part of an order for new stainless steel passenger cars for system-wide service. It was named "Silver Salver" and was numbered #196, later Burlington . . . — — Map (db m92166) HM
Douglas was founded as a result of the Fremont, Elkhart and Missouri Valley Railroad extension through central Wyoming in 1886. The railroad's objective was to access the mining and cattle-rich areas of Wyoming.
On August 22, 1886, the railroad . . . — — Map (db m92106) HM
The Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center is located on the site of the historic Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Depot. The Interpretive Center was developed by the City of Douglas and dedicated in August 1995 as a legacy to the major industries . . . — — Map (db m92163) HM
Built as Fairmont Model M-19 series AA, Group 4, serial #217980. Originally sold to the Union Pacific Railroad and later sold to and used by the Colorado & Southern as a track inspection car, probably by track foremen based in Casper.
Little . . . — — Map (db m92164) HM
Meandering La Prele Creek drainage cuts into alternating layers of sandstone and sandy limestone of the Permian / Pennsylvanian Casper formation.
La Prele Creek erodes both the upstream and downstream sides of the outcrop.
Undercutting by . . . — — Map (db m71496)
This plateau above LaPrele Creek and the North Platte River was chosen as an Army post by Major Dye who described it as “…being neither so low as to be seriously affected by the rains or snow; nor so high and unprotected as to suffer from the . . . — — Map (db m80092) HM
The "Good Roads Club" was incorporated in Douglas in 1910 with 119 members and capitalization of $50,000. It was a popular social club with a primary goal to establish a way to improve the road system to enjoy the new automobile.
In 1918, the . . . — — Map (db m92180) HM
Car was built by Pullman Standard at Pullman, Ill in December of 1950 as a part of an order for eight sleeping cars with 16 duplex roomettes and four bedrooms. Car was assigned to the Western Star, their secondary Chicago to Seattle train. With a . . . — — Map (db m92178) HM
Above is an artist’s conception of the interior of the Fort Fetterman version of a “Hog Ranch,” a common frontier term used to describe certain off-post facilities which catered to the lonely soldier’s desire for wine, women and song. A . . . — — Map (db m80093) HM
The Oregon Trail crosses LaPrele Creek about one mile downstream from Natural Bridge. Before the modern road was built into the gorge, Natural Bridge was difficult to access, and it was only rarely visited by emigrants of the covered wagon era. From . . . — — Map (db m71495) HM
Also known as the Hog Ranch at Fetterman, the One Mile Hog Ranch was perhaps the rowdiest, roughest and most dangerous red light establishment in Wyoming. Built by Harrison Kane in 1880, the saloon sat just across the Platte River, about one mile . . . — — Map (db m80124) HM
This car was built by Western American Car & Foundry Company in Seattle, WA in July 1914 for the Union Pacific Railroad subsidiary Oregon Short Line as a box car and was numbered as their #120579. Car was converted to a double deck stock car in . . . — — Map (db m92179) HM
This car was built by the Pullman Car Company at their Michigan City, Indiana plant in February of 1911 for the Union Pacific subsidiary Oregon Short Line Railroad as their #331. The car was renumbered to #2114 in 1914 and again renumbered to #1897 . . . — — Map (db m92165) HM
From this location, where the water reservoir once stood, one can see several interesting points. The sighting device points out the location of the pump used during the later years to supply the fort with water. Prior to installation of the pump . . . — — Map (db m80091) HM
Caleb and Nancy Magill with their six children were part of a wagon train traveling fro Brown County, Kansas, to Dallas, Oregon, in 1864. After leaving Fort Laramie their three-year-old daughter Ada was taken sick with dysentery. At Deer Creek . . . — — Map (db m92079) HM
Nineteen-year-old Alvah Unthank was one of a group of young men who left Newport, Wayne County, Indiana, for the goldfields of California in 1850. On June 23 the wagon train passed Register Cliff, south of Guernsey. There Alvah inscribed his name: . . . — — Map (db m92083) HM
Big Muddy oil field is a typical Wyoming oil producing structure. The field, discovered in 1916, has produced over 30 million barrels of high quality oil. Strata here were arched upward at the time the Rocky Mountains originated about 60 million . . . — — Map (db m92097) HM
Deer Creek Station, which once stood on the site of present- day Glenrock near the confluence of Deer Creek and the North Platte River, became a familiar landmark along the Oregon-California-Mormon Trail between 1857 and 1866.
The station began . . . — — Map (db m92081) HM
On July 26, 1842 John C. Fremont's first expedition to the far west guided by Kit Carson with Joseph Bissonette as interpreter, also L. Maxwell as hunter, camped in this rocky glen.
Names and dates of many of the 300,000 travelers of the . . . — — Map (db m92080) HM
Three men named Sharp,
Franklin, and Taylor, and
one unknown man were
killed by Indians July 12,
1864 where the Oregon
Trail crosses Little Box
Elder Creek 2 1/2 miles S.W.
of here. They were buried
4 miles S.W. by the grave . . . — — Map (db m92087) HM
Take a good look at those big old trees down along the river. You know, the ones with the big limbs and huge trunks. Those old cottonwoods are special trees. They have grown tall with their roots spreading as grand as their limbs. Their roots reach . . . — — Map (db m89008) HM