Settled by A.J. Hall in 1852 and occupied by Confederate troops because of its value as a railroad stop during the War Between the States (1861-65), Canoe was the site of a March 27, 1865 encampment of Union forces. The 1870s brought expansion . . . — Map (db m72265) HM
In 1920, a wooden building was constructed as the Atmore Colored School and operated until 1925. In 1926, a new wood and a brick building was erected with assistance from Rosenwald School fund and it was renamed the Escambia County Training School. . . . — Map (db m100835) HM
Williams Station, Alabama
Creek Indians lived in these parts some 200 years before trains began stopping here in 1866 to leave supplies for a farmer, William Larkin Williams, who lived nearby. Workers, who came first . . . — Map (db m72260) HM
Side A Recognized as “Alabama’s Oldest Bank,” the Bank
of Brewton opened for business on Monday, January 7, 1899. Brewton, Alabama was a prosperous town in the late 1800s. A local resident, Charles Sowell, participated in the . . . — Map (db m39025) HM
This tank was used to hold water for the City of Brewton Electric Light and Water Works Fire Protection System and was built circa early 1890's. This location was originally the Blacksher Miller Lumber Company, which became . . . — Map (db m94172) HM
Built by the People
of Escambia County
Dedicated November 11, 1987
Honoring those men and
women of Escambia County
who served . . . — Map (db m84397) WM
Franklin Cemetery was established in the mid-nineteenth
century and was originally located on land where the existing
Georgia-Pacific Brewton LLC containerboard mill stands off of
Highway 31 in Brewton. The cemetery served as the primary
burial . . . — Map (db m94163) HM
Erected by his friends and the Escambia County Bar
Association in memory of James Edward Hart, Jr.
(1942 – 1992), who contributed much to his community, his church and his profession. He loved trains. Due to his efforts, passenger service . . . — Map (db m39033) HM
The Ritz Theater opened its doors on this site
September 14, 1936, and for more than fifty (50) years prided itself as the “Hub of the Brewton
Community.” Between its first feature, “YOURS
FOR THE ASKING” and its last, . . . — Map (db m39206) HM
The Southern Pine Electric Membership Corporation was energized at this site on September 12, 1939, sending electric power flowing into 75 homes and businesses in rural areas of Escambia, Conecuh, Monroe and Baldwin Counties for the first time. The . . . — Map (db m84372) HM
Union Cemetery has been an
important resting place for
Brewton's loved ones since
at least 1879. State
the historical significance
of Union Cemetery for our
area by adding it to the
Alabama Historic Cemetery
Register . . . — Map (db m94162) HM
Dr. J. M. Shofner (1863-1926) founder, dedicated his life to - "Give the boys and girls a chance."
Mr. Elisha Downing - Humanitarian.
First building erected named in
honor of Mrs. Esther Downing.
Trustees-1906: J. M. Shofner,
D. . . . — Map (db m84374) HM
Fort Crawford was established in 1816 by elements of the 7th U.S. Infantry under orders from Major General Andrew Jackson. Purpose was to monitor Spanish activities in West Florida and curtail hostile Creek Indian activities.
Named after . . . — Map (db m84373) HM
Front CPL. Sidney E. Manning World War I Medal of Honor One of Gen. Pershing's Immortal Ten This monument dedicated to all that have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America that this glory shall not perish from the Earth . . . — Map (db m47485) HM
Front As railroads were reconstructed following the Civil War, a junction of north-south and east-west lines was established along the Alabama-Florida border near the confluence of Big Escambia Creek and the Conecuh-Escambia River. A . . . — Map (db m47484) HM
Coley Chapel is the present day site of the former Town of Hadley.
MacDavid's Hotel was also located here and was recorded by travelers in the 1830's as a hotel which had "plenty of nice pork, which in some shape or other is the food generally . . . — Map (db m84376) HM
A pre Civil War structure, this is the oldest church building remaining in Escambia County, Alabama. Confederate veterans related stories that mules and horses were sheltered inside during harsh winter months. Circuit riders served the church in the . . . — Map (db m84388) HM
Located 1½ miles south, town of Pollard established 1861 at juncture of Alabama & Florida and Mobile & Great Northern railroads. Named for Charles T. Pollard, builder of Alabama & Florida Railroad.
One of largest military training camps of . . . — Map (db m84371) HM
Martin Lindsey bought the Pollard Mill later known as the Lindsey Mill Company. Several hundred employees worked at the Mill during the early 1900s, among them Joe Douglas, head of the woodlands, and Percy Watson, accounting. Mr. Lindsey handled the . . . — Map (db m84386) HM