Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saint James Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
St. Michael Church image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
St. Michael Church
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Convent — Convent
. . . — Map (db m81093) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Convent — Judge Poché Plantation House
Felix Pierre Poché, Civil War diarist, Democratic party leader, prominent jurist and one of founders of American Bar Association, built this Victorian Renaissance Revival style plantation with unusual front dormer c. 1870. — Map (db m86218) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Convent — Malarcher House
This house is near the site of mansion of Le Chevalier Louis Malarcher (1754-1841), political refugee of French Revolution who became an influential citizen of St. James Parish. Original mansion destroyed in 1890 by levee break which created Nita . . . — Map (db m86223) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Convent — Manresa House of Retreats
Since 1931 The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) have operated a retreat house here for the spiritual development of the laity. The grounds and several of the buildings were the site and home of Jefferson College founded for the education of the youth of . . . — Map (db m81092) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Convent — Uncle Sam Plantation
First named Constancia (1812), Uncle Sam was one of Louisiana's great sugar plantations. Erected by owner Samuel P. A. Fagot between 1827-1843, the mansion and its many side buildings dominated this site until demolished during move of river levee . . . — Map (db m86220) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Gramercy — Colonial Sugars Refinery
Founded in 1895 by group of financiers from Gramercy Park, New York on a site called "Faubourg Lapin". First operated as a sugar mill to process sugar cane from Golden Grove Plantation. A refinery was built in 1902 to supply granulated sugar to the . . . — Map (db m81084) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Gramercy — Golden Grove Plantation
On this site from 1817 to 1880 the Shepherd and Hooke families operated a large sugar plantation, part of which became Gramercy, LA, in 1895. The Greek Revival plantation house was lost to the river in 1902. — Map (db m81083) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Gramercy — Gramercy
Incorporated November, 1947, located partly on Indian-French settlement & trading post site. In 1739 much of this area was sold to Joseph Delille Dupart, a Commissioner of Indian Nations under Bienville. Today area is location of various industries. . . . — Map (db m71147) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Hester — James Mather
Large sugar plantation owned by Mather family until sold in 1879. James Mather, Englishman by birth, came to America in 1777; was active in Indian trade in West Florida area; was fourth mayor of New Orleans serving from 1807-1812. Here on October 8, . . . — Map (db m86213) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Lutcher — Lutcher
Established 1891 by H.J. Lutcher, co-owner of Lutcher & Moore Cypress Lumber Co. The town, incorporated in 1912, grew around the sawmill built on the plantation of Pierre Chenet, developer of world-famous Perique tobacco. — Map (db m81085) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Lutcher — Lutcher United Methodist Church
First Protestant church in the River Parishes. Established 1898 through efforts of William H. Curtis later appointed first pastor. This original church building, constructed of heart cypress was dedicated May 5, 1901. Additional marker: . . . — Map (db m85348) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Paulina — "Vacherie de Grande Pointe"
This area, a ridge, extends from Convent through Gramercy and ends at Grande Pointe in the rear. On this ridge, the world’s supply of a unique crop, Perique tobacco, is grown, processed and shipped. It is also the site of Indian mounds and sugar . . . — Map (db m81086) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Paulina — Bourgeois Homeplace / Site Familial des Bourgeois
Side 1 Bourgeois Homeplace Among the first Acadian exiles to Louisiana, eleven Bourgeois families settled this area in 1765. Site of lands granted 1803 to Widow Jean Bourgeois and sons. Bourgeois descendants still live on-site. . . . — Map (db m81088) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), South Vacherie — Hero's Tomb
Veterans Memorial Monument There have been only two persons willing to die for you; one died for your freedoms, the other died for your soul For those who fought for it, freedom has a special taste, the protected will . . . — Map (db m81146) WM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), South Vacherie — Notre Dame de la Paix
Mission chapel and cemetery served by St. James Catholic Church from 1854. Became separate parish in 1864. Our Lady of Peace parish church completed 1900 and consecrated May 12, 1902. — Map (db m81080) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), St. James — Cabahanoce Plantation(St. James)
House claimed by the river was home of André Bienvenu Roman (1831-35 and 1839-43) Governor of Louisiana (1845 and 1852) Member of Constitutional Convention (1861) Member of Secession Convention Member of Peace Commission to . . . — Map (db m88219) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), St. James — Site of First Acadian Settlers in Louisiana
Refugees came overland 1756-57. In vicinity was 1762 grant to Jacques Cantrelle, Sr. of France after whom Church and Parish were named. Section once included in Les Oumas, Eveche of Quebec. — Map (db m86620) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), St. James — St. Jacques de Cabahanoce
An organized ecclesiastical parish prior to 1757. The church was then in charge of Fr. Barnabé, a French Capuchin and Pastor of St. Charles (Destrehan), on east bank of river. The registers were kept in French until 1786. The diocese came under . . . — Map (db m86617) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), St. James — The Settlement Of Freetown
Following the Civil War, thirty-one individuals bought lots from C. Oliver, who acquired portions of land that was formerly a part of the Pedesclaux-Landry Plantation in St. James, LA. Together, the group carved out and cultivated the land and . . . — Map (db m85008) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Union — St. Mary's Chapel
Built in 1875 by the Marist Fathers. Reestablished from original St. Marie du Fleuve located on White Hall Plantation. Statues transferred from rectory at Ancient Domain Plantation during elaborate blessing ceremony. — Map (db m86033) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Vacherie — "Le Petit Versailles"
Once famed plantation home and gardens of Valcour Aime 1798-1867. Birthplace Marie Francois Alcee Fortier grandson and historian 1856-1914. 1768 La Vacherie of DeNoyan Brothers Bienville's Grandnephews of Blanpain, Ranson, Jacquelin 1740-50's — Map (db m81082) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Vacherie — Colonel Leopold L. Armant
Enlisted in Confederate Army, 1861; died heroically at Battle of Mansfield, 1864. Served in Yellow Jacket Bat. Com. of 18th Vol. Inf. Reg. and Mouton Brig. His ancestors were Jean Marie, Jean Baptiste, and Jean Seraphim Armant, St. James planters . . . — Map (db m81081) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Vacherie — Le Chemin Militaire
Route used by Civil War troops. It led from Mississippi River over swamp ridges, Indian trails, through Chackbay (Chegby), Thibodaux and Bayou Lafourche areas, Schriever, Gibson, Morgan City, to Attakapas country. Local militia units took active . . . — Map (db m121230) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Vacherie — Oak Alley Plantation
Built (1837-39) by Jacques T. Roman, this fine example of Greek Revival architecture is famous for its alley of 28 evenly spaced live oak trees, believed to be at least 100 years older than "Big House". A National Historic Landmark — Map (db m85187) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.