Upton Beall, wealthy landowner and Clerk of Court, owned 25 slaves when he died in 1827. After Upton Beall died, his family did not purchase additional slaves, however, by 1860 the Beall family owned 52 slaves.
The Beall family did not sell . . . — — Map (db m43630) HM
In 1867, several of Rockville's African American families left Jerusalem Methodist Episcopal Church to start the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Zion Church under the leadership of Reverend Charles Pipkins.
In 1890, Pipkins and his . . . — — Map (db m101921) HM
Long before the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, some enslaved people freed themselves by escaping to Canada. In 1856, Alfred Homer walked and ran more than 500 miles from this site to freedom, despite the dangers of the Fugitive Slave Law. . . . — — Map (db m43557) HM
Father Divine was an influential and charismatic religious leader and founder of the International Peace Mission Movement.
Father Divine was born in 1879 on Middle Lane as George Baker, Jr. and attended the Rockville and Jerusalem M.E. Church. . . . — — Map (db m43491) HM
This was once a vital center of the African American community in Rockville: the Eureka Tabernacle Number 29 of the Order of the Galilean Fisherman.
Established in 1903, the Temple allowed Rockville's African American residents to work together . . . — — Map (db m43567) HM
Should you receive the same pay for doing the same work? William B. Gibbs, teacher and principal of the Rockville Colored Elementary School, thought so, but he had to take the issue to court.
African American teachers had to meet the same . . . — — Map (db m43474) HM
For over fifty years, Celestine and Jesse Hebron operated one of the most successful printing businesses in the county in this handcrafted building.
Jesse Hebron started his printing business on Falls Road in 1932. After serving in World War II . . . — — Map (db m43568) HM
Hungerford Tavern was most likely operated by the tavern owner's African American slaves. African American slaves traveling with their masters were expected to care for them if they became too rowdy or drunk at taverns.
A meeting place for . . . — — Map (db m43560) HM
Racial tensions between African American and white church members peaked immediately before the Civil War. Pro-slavery parishioners joined the M. E. Church South in 1863. By 1868 the predominately African American M. E. Church North owned this . . . — — Map (db m32146) HM
After being made to wait while five white patrons who came in after him were served, George “T.” Johnson opened Mr. T’s as a store catering to African American clientele.
Taverns in Rockville were the only businesses that were . . . — — Map (db m32141) HM
After the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln and Congress created the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands to aid newly freed African Americans. By the time it closed in 1872, the Bureau had provided assistance to four million former slaves . . . — — Map (db m43471) HM
Rockville's First Colored School
246 North Washington Street
In March, 1867, twenty African Americans pledged to support a school by taking responsibility for money "as may be necessary to pay the board and washing of the teacher and . . . — — Map (db m43556) HM
A hearse drawn by four white horses was a hallmark of the Snowden Funeral Home, the first African American-owned funeral home in Montgomery County.
George Russell Snowden started the family business in 1918 in Howard County. In 1926, he brought . . . — — Map (db m32143) HM