After citizens petitioned for its closure, an unofficial burial ground in this area (large lot 13) closed in 1857. That same year, local residents buried prominent planter, Mason and school superintendent William J. Brantley here on one acre donated . . . — — Map (db m31734) HM
A native of Athens, Georgia, Dulcinea Ann Holland came to Henderson County with her family in 1847. She married E. J. Thompson in 1851. According to local tradition, she named the town of Athens after her birthplace. Following the death of her first . . . — — Map (db m31717) HM
Henderson County C. S. A.
Voted 400 – 49 for secession. Sent about 1,000 into Confederate Army, with one detachment of 150 having only 13 live to return. Caldwell's farm, three miles northeast, and Fincastle, 19 miles . . . — — Map (db m26382) HM
North Carolina-born John Matthews McDonald (1827-1883) came to Texas in 1848 and lived first at Larissa, Cherokee Co. and then Mound Prairie, Anderson Co., where his brother Murdoch earlier settled. Two years later, he moved to the young town of . . . — — Map (db m31730) HM
Alderman on Athens' first city council (1901). La Rue (Town 13 mi. SE) was named for him.
Educator, merchant, civic leader, banker, humanitarian, prohibitionist, democrat, historian. Married March 16, 1892, Stella Elvira Parsons. They had seven . . . — — Map (db m31726) HM
"The Athens Review" was established as a weekly newspaper by J. B. Bishop and George M. Johnson, editors and owners, on Dec. 24, 1885. The earliest newspaper in Henderson County, "The Athens Bulletin," had been founded by printer J. H. Cox and . . . — — Map (db m31689) HM
Born in South Carolina, William Richadson moved to Pickens County, Alabama in 1830. There he married Mary "Polly" Kilpatrick (1813-1889) on Feb. 13, 1834. Children born to them were John K., James J., Sara F., Margaret C., Martha E., William A., . . . — — Map (db m37035) HM