Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Friendswood, Texas Historical Markers

 
Cecil and Frances Brown House image, Touch for more information
By Jim Evans, October 6, 2016
Cecil and Frances Brown House
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — 259 — Cecil and Frances Brown House
Designed by Houston architect Henry A. Stubee and built in 1938, this was the home of local civic, church, and business leader Cecil Brown and his wife Frances. Both were from pioneer Quaker families. Mr. Brown was prominent in the Gulf Coast fig . . . — Map (db m53113) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — Fig Preserving Plant 1924
Figs, the life's blood of Friendswood 1910 to circa 1956, were preserved and shipped from this Fig Preserving Plant. This business, opened in 1924 at this site by Quaker Cecil Brown, (son of the founder) was neither the first nor the last local . . . — Map (db m98446) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — First Business Hadley General Merchandise 1907
Friendswood's first business a small, general merchandise store, what opened on this site in 1907 by a Quaker from Lowell, Kansas, Cyrus J. Hadley. He and his wife, Elvira, made stables available to the community. Prior to Hadley's store, folks sent . . . — Map (db m98898) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — First Home and First Family 1895
The Frank J. Brown Family, along with the Thomas Hadley Lewis Family, Co-founded this Quaker Settlement in the spring of 1895. By August, Brown had hauled lumber from Alvin and was personally constructing his home on this 10-acre site for his wife . . . — Map (db m98910) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — 13583 — Friends Church Cemetery
In 1895, six families left the disbanded Quaker settlement of Estacado in the Lubbock area and moved to Galveston County. Here, they established the community of Friendswood, named in honor of their faith and association with the Society of Friends, . . . — Map (db m53112) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — 7455 — Friendswood
This community was founded in 1895 by a group of Friends (Quakers) led by F. J. Brown and T. H. Lewis. They acquired the land from J. C. League and named the settlement Friendswood. From the very beginning, church and school were central to the . . . — Map (db m50156) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — Friendswood Postal Service 1899
In 1899 Friendswood recieved postal service. That year 22 year old widow Flora Knode was appointed postmaster, and residents picked up mail from her home. In 1904 Quaker Charles E. Hoover and family moved here from West Branch, Iowa. In 1906 he . . . — Map (db m98450) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — Main Street Fig Orchards Early 1900s
Beginning about 1910 figs were grown on thousands of acres in a nine-county area 150 miles along the Gulf Coast from Winnie to Bay City and 50 miles inland. That included Friendswood where fig orchards, 5 acres to 500 acres lined the main street and . . . — Map (db m98896) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — Oldest Structure Remaining 1903
The Nathan and Mary Perry home here at 109 W. Spreading Oaks is the oldest structure remaining from the Quaker Settlement era. No photo of the house has been found. (Old timers memories were called upon to provide data for the restoration.) The . . . — Map (db m97592) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — Quaker Academy The Very Heart of Friendswood 1902-1949
As Quakers moved westward across America and the end of the 19th century, it was customary to construct an Academy to provide a site for worship and the education of their youth. Constructed by local men, using lumber they milled from trees downed . . . — Map (db m97608) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Friendswood — 7437 — The Fig Industry In Friendswood
Friendswood was established as a Quaker colony by Frank J. Brown and Thomas H. Lewis in 1895. Among the colony's early settlers was former Kansas farmer Nereus Stout. Stout became a highly acclaimed horticulturist and is believed to be the first . . . — Map (db m98447) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement