Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hinesville, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Bradwell Institute Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
Bradwell Institute Marker
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Bradwell Institute
The town of Hinesville was established in 1837 and shortly thereafter, in 1841, the Hinesville Institute (or Academy) was established with Colonel James Sharpe Bradwell as its first headmaster. The first building was erected at a cost of $349.12 1/2 . . . — Map (db m58218) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Bradwell Park1974
In Memory of Samuel Dowse Bradwell Founder of Bradwell Institute on this site in 1871 Built by City of Hinesville with assistance from HUD and Liberty County Garden Garden Clubs ( Mayor and List of Councilmen ) — Map (db m9492) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Charlton Hines House
One of the first houses built in Hinesville after the town was established and became the county seat of Liberty County in 1837 was that of Charlton Hines, a state senator and for whom the town was named. This house, considerably altered, was built . . . — Map (db m41645) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-22 — Fort Morris Cannon
This small cannon was a part of the armament of historic Fort Morris at Sunbury during the American Revolution. In November, 1778, a superior British force from Florida under Colonel Fuser of the 60th Regiment besieged the Fort. To the ultimatum to . . . — Map (db m8995) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Gum Branch Baptist Church
This church was organized in 1833 as the Gum Branch Primitive Baptist Church by members of Beard’s Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Among the charter members were Samuel and David Delk. The land for the church was given by Fashau Long, Jr. In . . . — Map (db m58145) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Harrison Family Cemetery
Although the gravestones have been destroyed by weathering and vandalism, it is believed that about a dozen people are buried in this family cemetery. William Harrison died March 30, 1883, in the 72nd year of his age. His wife, Sarah Sylvester Smith . . . — Map (db m58223) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Hinesville and Liberty County WWII Veterans Monument
. . . — Map (db m41684) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Hinesville Methodist Church
The year 1837 marked the founding of Hinesville and the establishment of the Hinesville Methodist Church. For one hundred years this was the only church in Hinesville. The first services were held in a small frame building near the Bradwell . . . — Map (db m8996) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-4A — Liberty Armory Site←—«
Returning from the Revolution, the soldiers of Liberty County re-organized themselves into a troop of cavalry, known as the Liberty Dragoons, later the Liberty Independent Troop, the oldest cavalry company in Georgia. In continuous existence since . . . — Map (db m8998) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-1 — Liberty County
Liberty County, an original county, was created by the Consitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew, and St. James, the theatre of many important events during . . . — Map (db m9199) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Liberty County Confederate Monument1861-1865
War Between The States "Lord God of hosts defend us yet Lest we forget. lest we forget." — Map (db m9244) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — M1A1 90mm Anti-Aircraft Gun
Replacing the aging 3-inch gun as the staple of Army heavy antiaircraft artillery at the dawn of the war, the 90mm gun went on to earn a well deserved place among the finest artillery pieces fielded by the Allies in World War II. Intended to meet . . . — Map (db m41683) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Old Liberty County Jail
While this building was not Liberty County's first jail, it served longer than any previous jail. When in was built in 1892 the jail had "all the modern improvements and conveniences of a first class prison." Eighty years later it was condemned by . . . — Map (db m41682) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Pleasant Grove African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Camp Meeting
Pleasant Grove A.M.E. Church was organized June 29, 1869 at Taylors Creek, GA. Rev. Piner Martin was the first pastor. The first church, a small frame house, was named A.M.E. Church of the U.S.A. Sixteen acres of land were later purchased to build a . . . — Map (db m15709) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-24 — Skirmish at Hinesville
On Dec. 16, 1864, a detachment of the 7th Illinois Infantry (mounted) foraging near the right flank of Gen. Sherman's army (US) which was then closing in on Savannah, met here in Hinesville a detachment of cavalry from Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson's . . . — Map (db m15185) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-18 — Taylors Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery
Taylors Creek Methodist Church was organized in 1807, by the Rev. Angus McDonald, with seven members, including James Darsey, Mrs. James Darsey, and Robert Hendry. A village soon grew up around the church, and was for many years a trading center for . . . — Map (db m15740) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — The Bacon-Fraser House
The Bacon-Fraser House was built on a 23 acre tract situated on the eastern boundary of the town of Hinesville in 1839 by Mary Jane Bacon, widow of Major John Bacon. The house has been owned and lived in by their heirs until the present time. The . . . — Map (db m15844) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement