Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Dr. William Henderson House image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, August 2, 2019
Dr. William Henderson House
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Dr. William Henderson House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137391) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Hotels of Hummelstown
Hotels and taverns have a long-standing presence in Hummelstown. For Hummelstown—a town along stagecoach routes, the Union Canal, railroads, and later, roads—the provision of facilities for travelers was an active business. The following . . . — Map (db m137405) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — HummelstownEarly History 1762-1815
Hummelstown was laid out in 1762 on the same tract originally patented by Robert Chambers in 1744 and deeded to Frederick and Rosina Hummel. At the same time, it was called Frederickstown. Hummel's original draft of Frederickstown shows the center . . . — Map (db m137396) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Hummelstown20th Century
These photos depict businesses and properties which will be familiar to many, despite changes in location and appearance. By 1950 the Borough's population had grown to 3,789 and is currently 3,981. Development in surrounding communities, . . . — Map (db m137398) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Hummelstown Brownstone Quarries
High quality brownstone was quarried near here 1863-1929, and sold across the nation as a preferred masonry material of builders. The Hummelstown Brownstone Company, founded by Allen Walton, employed immigrant skilled stonecutters and laborers in . . . — Map (db m7132) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Keystone Hotel1839 — The Keystone House —
Having served Hummelstown for over 150 years as a primary hostelry, the Keystone House lives on; albeit serving the town's citizenry in a different capacity. This historic landmark, built in 1839 by George Fox as a two and hone half story, . . . — Map (db m137389) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — On The Square
From the founding days, Hummelstown's Square has been the center of business and social activities as well as a visual focus and a transportation crossroads. These photos depict various time periods and features of the "Square" as well as some . . . — Map (db m137392) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Revolutionary War Gun Factory
During the British occupation of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania’s provisional government moved west and its official gun factory was established at Hummelstown. Secretly operating near here from 1777 to 1779, it mass-produced muskets and rifles for the . . . — Map (db m85728) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Square Project History
The 1997 Square Project is the culmination of nearly 20 years of discussions, studies, and efforts to improve traffic safety and pedestrian amenities at the center of town. As early as 1950, there were discussions at Borough Council meetings . . . — Map (db m137406) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Arch
The "Arch" was constructed by John Bieber in 1930, initially as an advertisement for Indian Echo Cave, a natural cavern located approximately ½ mile south of the Borough. In the photos, the arch is shown with its various modifications over the . . . — Map (db m137407) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Conestoga wagon
The Conestoga wagon was a sturdy wagon used by American pioneers. The wagon was named for the Conestoga Valley in Pennsylvania where it was first built during the early 1700's. Conestoga wagons carried most of the freight and people that moved . . . — Map (db m137413) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Developing Years1815-1890
This map, from a Dauphin County Atlas, depicts the development of Hummelstown as of 1875. Hummelstown was incorporated as a Borough in 1874. By this time, the population had grown to 2,900. The erection of bridges across the Swatora Creek, the . . . — Map (db m137397) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Fountain
The "Fountain" came into existence in the center of Hummelstown's Square in 1910 as a memorial to honor Henry Hershey and Nancy Landis Hershey. It was erected by their son, Henry Landis Hershey. It should be noted that by this time, piped water . . . — Map (db m137404) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Hummelstown Brownstone Company
Though located outside the Borough limits, the Hummelstown Brownstone Company contributed more than any other single industry to the growth of Hummelstown. The brownstone was quarried in a ridge in South Mountain, 2 ½ miles south of . . . — Map (db m137408) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Parish House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137412) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Then And NowEast Main Street
Hummel Property 13-15 East Main Street Originally this was the home of Joseph Hummel and Elizabeth Leebrich, both from Hummelstown, Joseph being the grandson of founder Frederick Hummel. They moved into the house in 1817, . . . — Map (db m137395) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Then And NowWest Main Street
Nisley Property 13 West Main Street In this late 1800s photo, the Schaffer family is shown on the porch, gathered for the wedding of their daughter, Ethel. The 1830 date stone on the building and the Flemish bond brickwork . . . — Map (db m137409) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Then And NowThe Square — North Side
Clunie-Swartz Property 2-6 West Main Street This property is one of the oldest documented structures in Hummelstown. The western portion is a two-bay, two-and-one-half-story limestone building, and the eastern portion is a . . . — Map (db m137410) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
1753 — Earliest record of congregational meeting. 1756 — Land donated for church by Frederick & Rosina Hummel. May 16, 1766 — Log church building dedicated destroyed by fire Dec 1817. May & Sept. 1769 — Visits by Henry . . . — Map (db m137411) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement