13 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Kyle
By Larry D. Moore, July 24, 2018
Beef for the Confederacy Marker Area
| Throughout Hays County, 1861-65, as in the rest of Texas, beef production for the Confederacy was a major patriotic service. Leading ranchers, called Government Stockraisers, had the duty of supplying the Commissary Department of the Army.
. . . — — Map (db m120737) HM|
|Bridge No. 44, now known as the Bunton Branch Bridge, is located just north of Kyle on a north-south section of road that parallels Interstate 35, a remnant of the 1915 Austin-Aan Antonio post road. The bridge crosses Bunton Branch, an intermittent . . . — — Map (db m119646) HM|
|Cora Frances Jackman (b. 1853) was the daughter of Sidney Drake and Martha (Slavin) Jackman. Her father, a Confederate general during the Civil War and later a state representative and U.S. Marshal, settled his family in Hays County in 1865. Cora . . . — — Map (db m120753) HM|
|Founded at Mountain City, 1872. Original pastor: the Rev. J. C. Tally. A dynamic congregation, this church within two months of its origin licensed (and later ordained) D. A. Porter as a minister; in 1879 demitted 26 members to form church nearby; . . . — — Map (db m120743) HM|
|Born in Sumner County, Tenn., John Wheeler Bunton migrated to Texas in 1833. To secure freedom for his new homeland, he signed the Texas Declaration of Independence, helped draft a constitution, and fought in the Siege of Bexar and the Battle of San . . . — — Map (db m149503) HM|
|Katherine Anne Porter, one of America's most distinguished writers of fiction, was born Callie Russell Porter in Indian Creek, Brown County, Texas. Her mother, Mary Alice Jones Porter, died in 1892, and her father, Harrison Boone Porter (1858-1942) . . . — — Map (db m120740) HM|
|Two antebellum settlements, the Blanco or Nance community (7 mi. W) and Mountain City (3 mi. W), provided the early population and business for Kyle after the city was founded in 1880. Fergus Kyle, for whom the town was named, and the family of . . . — — Map (db m119647) HM|
|Many people instrumental in the early development of this area are buried in Kyle Cemetery. Colonel Clairborne Kyle, one of Hays County's original settlers, buried his adopted son, willie Parks, here in 1849. Although Parks' interment is the first . . . — — Map (db m119684) HM|
|The official name Kyle pioneer Family cemetery is what the African American descendants of people who were enslave and freed , Known locally as the Old Kyle Slave Cemetery , the Kyle Family Pioneer Cemetery lay unnoticed and forgotten for many . . . — — Map (db m139636) HM|
|For generations this site was the commercial and social heart of the community. Wallace Alexander "Lex" Word (1896-1982) was born in Kyle to William Alexander and Mamie (Sledge) Word, but tragically his father died two months before Lex was born. . . . — — Map (db m149506) HM|
|First permanent store in Kyle. Builder, David Alexander Young (1841-1883), moved with parents to Texas from Tennessee, 1857. D. A. Young, one of 179 Hays County men in Civil War, was wounded fighting in Woods' 32nd Cavalry.
When International & . . . — — Map (db m149509) HM|
|When Kyle was founded along the International & Great Northern Railroad in 1880, this giant liveoak was site of a public auction of town lots. The railway was given 200 acres of land by Fergus Kyle (1834-1905), state representative for whom the . . . — — Map (db m120751) HM|
|Public education in the Kyle area dates to the Texas Constitution of 1876 and its establishment of a statewide free school system. Under this legislation, school trustees D.A. Barbee, D.J.B. Barbee and Captain Fergus Kyle founded the Summit School . . . — — Map (db m119669) HM|