Las Vegans claimed to be the originators of this all-weather route between Los Angels and Salt Lake City. From the beginning, the Arrowhead Trail was a "grass roots" effort including promotion by various chambers of commerce and volunteer . . . — — Map (db m78741) HM
An atlatl is a throwing stick or a dart thrower used by ancient tribes to give more force to their darts or spears. It was usually a wooden stick about two feet long with a handhold on one end and a hook on the other end. A slot cut in the tail end . . . — — Map (db m72354)
Once part of a sand deposit that covered a vast area, these rocks have been subjected to a relentless attack by harsh winds, rain, heat and cold creating the many unusual formations that make up the Valley of Fire. — — Map (db m72357)
During the early 1860's, Brigham Young directed that settlements be built in the area known today as the Moapa Valley. The water from the Muddy River, and the rich soil of the Valley, made the land a prime agricultural area for southern Nevada. . . . — — Map (db m47027) HM
January 28, 1885—October 10, 1962
Fay Perkins Sr., was born in Overton, Nevada and spent his entire life in Moapa Valley. In 1924, Fay Perkins and his brother John Perkins reported to Governor James G. Scrugham that many ancient Indian . . . — — Map (db m4036) HM
John J. Clark was born in Canada in 1844.
He enlisted as a private in Company F of
the New York Infantry in 1862, serving
actively in the Civil War. After being shot
in the hand and contracting typhoid
fever, he was honorably discharged
6 . . . — — Map (db m32812) HM
This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Museum was built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps to display artifacts of prehistoric Native American cultures. — — Map (db m4038) HM
In 1864 Brigham Young called for settlers to colonize the Muddy (now Moapa) Valley. On January 8, 1865, eleven men and three women arrived and began the first settlement at St. Thomas, now covered by the waters of Lake Mead. Later other settlements . . . — — Map (db m4039) HM
This park, situated on the old Arrowhead Trail, was designated on March 26, 1935 as Boulder Dam-Valley of Fire State Park.
Though four state parks were established by concurrent legislation, Valley of Fire is considered Nevada's first state . . . — — Map (db m3432) HM
Dedicated to those stalwart pioneers who forged an oasis out of the desert sands
The St. Thomas Cemetery was established in the 1860s in the town of St. Thomas, Nevada. Anticipating inundation of the town by the waters of Lake Mead, the graves . . . — — Map (db m4040) HM
On August 30, 1869, Major John Wesley Powell landed at the mouth of the Virgin River, about 12 miles south of here, thus ending the first boat expedition through the Grand Canyon of the Colorado River.
The expedition left Green River City, . . . — — Map (db m46781) HM
Indians of a highly developed civilization lived throughout Moapa Valley from 300-1100 A.D. Several hundred ancient pithouses, campsites, rockshelters, salt mines and caves of "Anasazi" people make up what is commonly known as "Lost City." These . . . — — Map (db m4041) HM
The sandstone formations that are so prominent in the Valley of Fire are made of sand grains that are almost pure silica. This huge dome is the finest example in the area of such a deposit. The change from white to red in the base of the dome occurs . . . — — Map (db m72359)
These three cabins were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) soon after the Valley of Fire became a state park in 1935. They are constructed of native sandstone and were used for many years to shelter campers and travelers visiting the . . . — — Map (db m72360) HM
has been designated a National Natural Landmark
This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the Nation's Natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment.
National Park Service . . . — — Map (db m3433) HM
This ruin appears to be a symbol of ancient times but was actually built in 1965 for the movie “The Professional.” The main movie set, a Mexican hacienda, was located where the parking lot is now. Railroad ties can still be seen sticking . . . — — Map (db m72358) HM