Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Quincy, California Historical Markers

 
Arthur W. Keddie Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, May 29, 2012
Arthur W. Keddie Marker
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Arthur W. Keddie1842 – 1924
If there is a dream within your hand Open your hand to let the dream fly free. A young Scotch Canadian engineer, surveyor and cartographer came to Quincy in 1864, remaining to ply his craft and make history. His vision of a low . . . — Map (db m56387) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — B-24A — Beckwourth Trail – American Ranch
This marker stands on part of the American Ranch of 1850. A way stop for emigrants of 1851 and later. “Here were obtained some fine vegetables...” Joshua Variel. Sept. 17, 1852 — Map (db m56403) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — B-23 — Beckwourth Trail – Greenhorn Creek Canyon
Trail route, 1851 and later. “Drove... through the canyon crossing the creek five times, two miles over the roughest road I ever saw” – Joshua Variel, Sep 16, 1852. — Map (db m56500) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — B-24 — Beckwourth Trail – New England Ranch
“Had a hard road, crooked & rocky. Had to cross (Greenhorn) creek 8 times in going 5 miles. Got down to the New England Ranch at noon, camped here for today.” - Chester Smith, Sep. 27, 1852. — Map (db m66159) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Coburn-Variel Home1878 — Dedicated to Historic Preservation in Plumas County —
Built in the fall of 1878 by Joshua Variel and his son, Will, the house was the home of several families over the next century. In 1896 Sheriff John Bransford bought the home, then sold it in 1899 to Attorney Louis N. Peter who died in the home in . . . — Map (db m56527) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — 231 — Elizabethtown
Dedicated to Pioneers of Plumas County To the Founders of Elizabethtown and Elizabeth Stark Blakesley for whom this town was named Sept. 1852 — Map (db m143430) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Feather Publishing Co.
. . . — Map (db m56551) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Forest StationersThe Huskinson Block — 1850 - 1870 —
Built in 1876, it is one of the first permanent structures in the Quincy Business District. Businesses of this site included Cohn Bros. Dry Goods, U.S. Post Office, I.O.O.F. Lodge, E.C.V. Hall, National Forest Supervisors office, Quincy Hardware and . . . — Map (db m56386) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Goodwin Law Office
In continuous use as a legal office since 1890. U.S. Webb learned law here. — Map (db m56404) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Mt. Ingalls LookoutElev. 8372
Donated by: Plumas Nat. Forest Built by: Company 989 C.C.C, 1935 Dismantled & Rebuilt by Reserve Navy Mobile Construction Battalion – 2 “Sea Bees” — Map (db m56501) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Oakland Camp
Mr. J.B. Nash, often referred to as “The Father of Recreation” was Superintendent of the Oakland Recreation Dept. from 1917-1926. He recognized the value of people working and playing together in a camp setting & loved the outdoors. In . . . — Map (db m66158) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas Club
Built in 1914 as “Harvey’s Place” by Harvey Egbert. During Prohibition Ed Dory ran the Quincy Dairy Store & some slot machines here. Zola & Plumas “Plumie” Stokes bought the saloon from Egbert in 1947. In 1989 Plumie sold the . . . — Map (db m56529) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas County Veterans Memorial
(Panel on the left) On behalf of the grateful people of Plumas County, this memorial is dedicated to all our veterans and those whose names are engraved on these tablets, who made the ultimate sacrifice for us all. Dedicated May 29, 2006 . . . — Map (db m66185) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — 625 — Plumas County’s First School House
This is the original pioneer school house Erected in 1857 ———— Trustees – J.W. Thompson & J.C. Church Teacher – Mr. S.A. Ballou – Nineteen scholars — Map (db m143431) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas Lodge No. 60 F&AM
This historic Masonic Temple built in 1855 is the oldest building in Quincy. — Map (db m56747) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Spanish Creek Mines
Millions in gold were taken from the Spanish Creek Mines between 1851 and 1905. To supply the miners the small town of New Boston sprang up at the mouth of Wahponsey Creek. Complete with a toll gate, apple orchard and gardens, in the 1870’s it was . . . — Map (db m56530) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — The Clough/Braden Home
Built in 1879, this was the home of Plumas County Judge and State Assemblyman Greenleaf Greeley Clough and his family for nearly a half a century. In 1927 it became the home of Louis Archibald “Arch” Braden, elected to nine . . . — Map (db m56401) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — World War Memorial
This tablet erected to honor those Citizens of Plumas County who served their county in time of War — Map (db m66187) WM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020