This Tombstone Cemetery gives mute testimony to the hardships of Western frontier life. The people buried here were housewives, painted ladies, outlaws, gamblers, miners, business men and women, blacksmiths, cowboys and those "who died with their . . . — — Map (db m27926) HM
Buried here are the remains of Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury, Billy Clanton - killed in Earp Clanton battle Oct 26, 1881.
Dan Dowd, Red Sample, Bill DeLancy, Dan Kelly: Tex Howard hanged legally by Sheriff Ward for Bisbee massacre Mar 1884, John . . . — — Map (db m100173) HM
Bob Hatch and John Campbell opened a billiard parlor in 1880. Bob Hatch was a colorful character and an amateur thespian. It was said he kept a jar of frogs on the counter as their croaking helped him predict the weather. He followed the Earps to . . . — — Map (db m48516) HM
The Can Can Restaurant was established in 1879 by Quong Kee. It was one of Tombstone's best known restaurants. In 1886 it was purchased by John Henninger who turned it into a first class eating establishment. It had a number of proprietors until . . . — — Map (db m48513) HM
The first business in Tombstone was opened on this corner by J.B. Allen. In 1879 it was purchased by Phillip Smith who opened the Pioneer Store and an agency of the Pima County Bank within the store. When Cochise County was established, Smith . . . — — Map (db m48514) HM
The son of a miner, Ed learned everything about prospecting from his father, except how to strike it rich! For twenty years, Ed prospected the west. He tried the "regular life," but after 18 months remarked: "No better off than I was prospecting, . . . — — Map (db m27933) HM
M. Calisher was a California company that opened a store in Tombstone in 1879. They sold general merchandise as well as lumber. Eighteen year old David Calisher managed the store. He was a member of a grand jury that indicted William Claiborne for a . . . — — Map (db m48528) HM
On December 28th of 1881 while crossing 5th St., Virgil Earp was ambushed and shot. Would be assassins hidden in a new building under construction opened fire with shotguns. Virgil was severely wounded. He survived, but lost the use of his left arm. . . . — — Map (db m48517) HM
In 1934, Robert Ripley
declares the Rose Bush
the World's Largest in the
"Believe it or Not".
The fire of May 26th, 1882, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House . . . — — Map (db m93399) HM
In 1881, Nellie Cashman aided in building an adobe structure which served as a combination church and rectory; the first Pastor was Father Emmanuel P. Schneider. Another church was built in 1882 and Bishop John B. Salpointe dedicated it in 1883. The . . . — — Map (db m27916) HM
The railroad reached Tucson in March of 1880. Richard Grid had a railroad spike crafted of solid silver from the Toughnut Mine. It was presented to the President of the Southern Pacific Railroad as an inducement to bring a railroad spur to . . . — — Map (db m53401) HM
The First Protestant Church in Arizona Territory under the direction of Endicott Peabody who conducted the first services in this building on June 18, 1882.
The structure is of hand formed adobe brick, stuccoed in 1970 to protect the adobe. The . . . — — Map (db m27920) HM
In September of 1880 a new adobe structure, the Grand Hotel, opened for business. It boasted all the luxury and comfort that 1880 had to offer. It displayed Brussels carpets, a black walnut baluster, walnut furniture and rare oil paintings. John . . . — — Map (db m48515) HM
The Oriental Saloon was opened in 1880 by Milton Joyce with the gaming concessions run by Lou Rickenbaugh. The Epitaph News described it as "the most elegantly furnished saloon this side of the Golden Gate". Wyatt Earp bought a share of the gaming . . . — — Map (db m48524) HM
Architect Frank Walker designed this building in Victorian style adapted to Western Territorial. It is constructed of fired red brick. It has been in continuous service since 1882 for Mayors, Marshals and official city offices. In the 1880s it . . . — — Map (db m27918) HM
The devastating fires of 1881 and 1882 brought major changes to the Tombstone Fire Department. A new fire station was completed in 1881, a new Rescue Hook and Ladder Co. was formed, and a new water source was obtained. Thirty six miles of fifteen . . . — — Map (db m53403) HM
In 1877 prospector Ed Schieffelin searched for silver in Apache land. He was told he would only find his own tombstone. Schieffelin ignored the advice. The result was a strike worth at least forty million dollars.
This brought not only miners . . . — — Map (db m48507) HM