Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Grant Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Battle of Calhoun's Landing Marker image, Touch for more information
June 28, 2019
Battle of Calhoun's Landing Marker
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Battle of Calhoun's Landing (The Red River Campaign)
On Control House Road near 8th Street (State Highway 158), on the right when traveling west.
At 6:00 PM on April 26, 1864, here, near the junction of Cane and Red Rivers the Confederates set up an artillery battery to intercept Federal gun boats. Two boats were captured. More than 200 people on board the vessels were killed or wounded. . . . — Map (db m136284) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Colfax Riot
On Main Street (State Highway 8) at 2nd Street (State Highway 8) on Main Street.
On this site occurred the Colfax Riot in which three white men and 150 negroes were slain. This event on April 13, 1873, marked the end of carpetbag misrule in the South. — Map (db m34602) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Grant Parish and Town of Colfax
On Eighth Street (State Highway 158) at Main Street (Alexandria-Colfax Highway) (State Highway 8), on the right when traveling north on Eighth Street.
Grant Parish was formed in 1869 from parts of Winn and Rapides parishes by Act 82 of the Louisiana legislature and named for President U.S. Grant.

Colfax, incorporated in 1878, was named for Vice President Schuyler Colfax. Once known as Calhoun's . . . — Map (db m136239) HM

Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Mary E. Graham High School
On Graham Street west of Ash Street, on the right when traveling west.
On this site stood the former Grant Parish Training School. Established in 1937, it served as the high school for the African-American population. In 1954 Grant Parish Training School became Mary E. Graham High School. Many young men and women . . . — Map (db m136235) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — The Famous Burning Well of Colfax
On Second Street (State Highway 8) near Main Street/Alexandria-Colfax Highway (State Highway 8), on the right when traveling north.
Visitors to this spot were once greeted with a curious sight, a burning well. In 1899 a driller named L. B. Hart completed an artesian well at 1,103 feet. The water was salty, and it bubbled with gas. Hart struck a match near the flow, and promptly . . . — Map (db m136182) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Dry Prong — Village of Dry Prong
On U.S. 167 near Second Street, on the right when traveling south.
Located in a land of natural beauty, the former Cottonburg became Dry Prong in 1906 when the Dry Prong post office was moved to this location in order to be near the L&A Railroad. Dry Prong was named for its first location: the site of an early . . . — Map (db m136001) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Fishville — The Community of Fishville
On State Highway 8 0.2 miles east of Windy Wood Lane, on the right when traveling east.
Fishville has been an area resort since the 1820s. The community began as a summer retreat for residents of Alexandria, escaping the surrounding mosquito-laden river bottoms. One of Fishville's most noted summer residents was nineteenth-century . . . — Map (db m117961) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Georgetown — Nightriders
On U.S. 167 at State Highway 500, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 167.
The Harrisonburg Road was a wagon trail in the 1800s that connected the Natchez Trace to the El Camino Real. This section of the road, along the border of Grant Parish and Winn Parish, is where the West Kimbrell Clan-other wise known as "The . . . — Map (db m136141) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Georgetown — Village of Georgetown
On State Highway 500 near U.S. 167.
Area once settled by the Choctaw Nation. Anglo-Americans settled here near the crossroads of the Harrisonburg and Three Notch Roads which connected the region to the Natchez Trace & the El Camino Real. Later, a stop on Jay Gould's Iron Mountain RR. . . . — Map (db m136267) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Montgomery — Montgomery, Louisiana
On Montgomery/Campti Highway (U.S. 71) near Caddo Street, on the right when traveling south.
One of the oldest towns in the state, it began in 1719 as Bon Dieu Falls, a French trading post. In 1840 General Thomas Woodward bought the land and named it Creola Bluff. In 1860 it was renamed Montgomery. It was an important steamboat . . . — Map (db m136208) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Pollock — Oction House
On Howard Street (State Highway 8) near Haney Street, on the left when traveling west.
Oction House is the oldest remaining residence in the Town of Pollock. Composed of two separate houses, its rear addition contains the original house, a Louisiana galleried cottage built circa 1861 by Levi B. Parker. Parker built his one-room . . . — Map (db m118129) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Pollock — Pollock School
On Howard Street (State Highway 8) west of Harvey Street, on the right when traveling east.
The first school in Pollock was established in 1893-1894. The Rev. Frank Brian, a minister and state senator was hired by the students' parents to serve as the first instructor. Located near the business district, the first school building was . . . — Map (db m135983) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Pollock — Town of Pollock
On Howard Street (Highway 8) 0.2 miles west of Ridge Street (U.S. 165), on the right when traveling west.
Indians once roamed the land of crystal streams. Then came pioneer farmers and called it Oction. In 1889 Jay Gould, Wall Street tycoon, built the Iron Mountain Railroad through here. In 1892 he built the Big Creek Sawmill, the largest pine sawmill . . . — Map (db m117813) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Pollock — Welcome to Pollock Home of the Dogwood Festival
On Patterson Street (State Highway 366) 0.1 miles east of Ridge Street (U.S. 165), on the right when traveling east.
Native Americans first roamed this area of virgin pines and crystal streams. Then it was named Oction by early pioneer settlers. The Civil War Battle at Oction Hill occurred here in 1864. In 1889, Jay Gould, business tycoon and railroad magnate, . . . — Map (db m117582) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Prospect — Prospect School
On Prospect Road near Prospect Church Road.
Prospect School had its beginning in the late 1800s, having its first class at Prospect Baptist Church, which was across the road from where the first building was built. In the late 1920s or early 1930s, the first building was destroyed by a . . . — Map (db m124015) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Verda — Verda
On State Highway 1240 south of State Highway 122, on the left when traveling south.
Verda was named for the daughter of the town's first postmaster, Uriah E. DeWitt. Formerly known as College Hill, Verda's 19th century origins centered on the efforts of area farmers to establish a school for their families. Beginning as a local . . . — Map (db m136676) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement