Dover in Stewart County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
her sons who served at Fort Donelson
and other engagements of this theater
of the Civil War.
During the battle at Fort Donelson February 12-16, 1862 Col. John Gregg's 7th Texas Infantry of Davidson's Brigade, Johnson's Division, were the right of a gallant line which drove the enemy from a hill under terrific fire. In support of Confederate General Wheeler's attack on the Federal garrison at Fort Donelson, February 3, 1863, the 8th Texas Cavalry - Terry's Texas Rangers - of Wharton's Brigade set up a road block 8 miles west of Dover and successfully stopped the Union land reinforcements from reaching the battle area. Although Col. B.F. Terry was killed at the battle of Woodsonville more than a year before this action, the Rangers continued to be known as Terry's Texas Rangers to the war's end. In General Hardee's special orders it was said of Terry: "His regiment deplores the loss of a brave and beloved commander; the army of one of its ablest officers."
who served the Confederacy
Erected by the State of Texas 1964
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 36° 28.832′ N, 87° 50.399′ W. Marker is in Dover, Tennessee, in Stewart County. Marker is on Natcor Drive (County Route 943), on the right when traveling east. Located at stop nine, Forge Road, on the driving tour of Fort Donelson National Battlefield. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover TN 37058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Planning to Escape (here, next to this marker); McCausland's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Greene's Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Brown's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest's Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Baldwin's Brigade (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel Thomas J. Davidson's Brigade (about 600 feet away); Original Position (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
1. Texas Civil War Monuments
This marker is one of 19 monuments placed by the State of Texas on battlefields across the nation, preserving the memories of the contributions made by the state’s military units during the Civil War.
In 1961 the Texas Civil War Centennial Commission and the Texas State Historical Survey Committee initiated this commemorative series of granite monuments by dedicating the first and largest of the original Centennial monuments at Vicksburg National Military Park, Mississippi. Over the next three years monuments were also placed in the towns of Pea Ridge, Arkansas and Anthony, Texas (for the Arizona-New Mexico campaign) and at the following battlefields: Chickamauga, Georgia; Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia; Mansfield, Louisiana; Antietam, Maryland; Bentonville, North Carolina; Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Fort Donelson, Tennessee; Shiloh, Tennessee; and The Wilderness, Virginia.
Starting in 1998, the Texas Historical Commission continued the work begun in 1961 by the Centennial Commission and the Historical Survey Committee by placing granite monuments at other Civil War battlefields. As of 2017, monuments have been placed at the battlefields of Galveston, Texas (1998); Raymond, Mississippi (2002); Rowlett’s Station, Kentucky (2008); Richmond, Kentucky (2009); Corinth, Mississippi (2010); Gaines Mill, Virginia(2012); and Second Manassas, Virginia (2012).
The Texas Historical Commission plans to place a monument at the battlefield of Glorieta Pass, New Mexico.
(Source: Texas Historical Commission, 2015)
NOTE: The links above will take you the HMdb record for the Texas Monument of that battle or campaign.
— Submitted July 17, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 898 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.