Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Howard County Texas Historical Markers

 
A Historical Big Spring Meat Market Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
A Historical Big Spring Meat Market Marker
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — A Historical Big Spring Meat Market
In 1884, a most unlikely fellow bought a lot and had built on it a structure of native limestone to house Big Spring’s first meat market. Joseph Heneage Finch, the Seventh Earl of Aylesford, Warwickshire, England (forced out of his country in the . . . — Map (db m86637) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — Big Spring Hardware Company
In 1900, James Currie, a rancher in Glasscock County, Texas, constructed a place of business at 117 Main Street, Big Spring, Howard County, Texas on property he purchased from Martha Hope of St. Louis, Missouri, in 1897. From that time until . . . — Map (db m86635) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 12579 — Big Spring School District
Education has been an important endeavor in Howard County since its formal organization in 1882, when the first commissioners court ordered the construction of a school building and created Howard County Common School District No. 1 in 1883. On . . . — Map (db m86647) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 12670 — Big Spring State Park on Route of Old Comanche War Trail
For Comanche war parties, about 1750 to 1875, the Big Spring was an oasis. Here paths from northeast, north and northwest twined into the War Trail that led to San Antonio and other Texas points, and down into Mexico. At the Big Spring, parties from . . . — Map (db m73315) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 1707 — First Christian Churchof Big Spring
In 1882, the same year Howard County was formally organized, this congregation was established with seven charter members. Worship services were first conducted in the home of Mr. and Mrs. I. D. Eddins. The first pastor was The Rev. J. Wright. . . . — Map (db m86644) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 1787 — First National Bank in Big Spring
Chartered on April 19, 1890, the First National Bank of Big Spring opened for business on the first floor of a two-story building at the northwest corner of Second and Clinton (now Main) streets with an initial capital of $50,000. The post office . . . — Map (db m86643) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 15443 — Howard County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized June 15, 1882 Named in honor of Volney Erskine Howard 1809 – 1889 Came to Texas in 1844 Delegate to the First State Constitutional . . . — Map (db m120477) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 3241 — Masonic Cemetery
Staked Plains Lodge No. 598, A.F. & A.M., was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas on December 12, 1884. The members soon recognized a need for a Masonic cemetery in Big Spring. In May 1885 George Bauer (1836-1898), a member of the Lodge, donated . . . — Map (db m86630) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 3459 — Moore School
In 1906 a group of pioneers arrived on the frontier north of Big Spring to take advantage of rancher Sid Moore's offer to sell land to farmers. Four acres were set aside, and a one-room school was built in 1906. The first school term, with one . . . — Map (db m86629) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 4100 — Potton House
Joseph Potton (1847-1920), a native of England and master mechanic for Texas & Pacific Railroad, built this Victorian residence in 1901. Designed by the Fort Worth firm of S. B. Haggart and Son, the house was constructed of Pecos sandstone with iron . . . — Map (db m86632) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 15634 — Route of Marcy’s Trail
Mapped by Captain Randolph B. Marcy in charge of U.S. Army detail guarding citizens bound for California Gold Rush. Captain Marcy exploded theory that West Texas was a desert. In making his map, he traveled along a chain of springs and lakes . . . — Map (db m73316) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 13722 — Settles Hotel
Will R. and Lillian Settles built this hotel after the discovery of oil on their ranch in 1927. The grand opening was October 1, 1930. Designed by David Castle (1884-1956), the 15-story brick highrise was for many years the tallest building between . . . — Map (db m86638) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 5084 — St. Thomas Catholic Church
Organized in 1883 under the leadership of the Rev. H. A. Boniface, the first Catholic parish in Big Spring was named St. Mary's. A small frame sanctuary was built and early services were conducted in English, German, and Spanish. The need for a . . . — Map (db m86631) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 5359 — The J. & W. Fisher Company
In 1881, as Big Spring was being established, Joseph Fisher (1845-1906), born in Austria, opened a general store in a tent. William (1855-1932), a brother, joined him in 1883. They had a trade territory as large as four New England states. Their . . . — Map (db m86634) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 14107 — The Seventh Earl of Aylesford
Joseph Heneage Finch (b.1849), an English nobleman, left his ancestral home in 1883 after a scandalous divorce. Attracted by cheap land and good hunting, the Earl of Aylesford came to Texas and settled on six sections in Howard County. His . . . — Map (db m120476) HM
Texas (Howard County), Big Spring — 14468 — W.T. ("Uncle Bud") Roberts(1849 - 1940)
William Travis Roberts, son of William and Rachel Roberts, was born near Georgetown, Texas. At 13, "Bud" assumed care of the family while his father fought and died in the Civil War. In 1870, he married Mary Thompson (1855 - 1915) at Georgetown. The . . . — Map (db m86654) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.