|► Texas (McMullen County), George West — 1854 — First Producing Gas Well In McMullen County And First Gas Pipeline To San Antonio — (South of Frio River, 1 Mi. NE)|
|Thirty years before the first producing gas well was drilled in this county, traces of salt water, sulphur, gas, and oil in water wells gave hints of the presence of petroleum here. For years wildcat drilling went on, but with only moderate success. . . . — — Map (db m42190) HM|
|► Texas (McMullen County), Tilden — 1118 — Cross|
|This community (earlier known as Nopal, San Miguel, Franklin) is one of area's first permanent settlements. Named for Samuel C. Cross, who opened grocery store, became first postmaster, 1924. Post office closed, 1934. Gas well completed nearby, . . . — — Map (db m43364) HM|
|► Texas (McMullen County), Tilden — 1242 — Dog Town Jail|
|First County Jail, built 1880 at cost of $2800. First expenses included 2 blankets, pair of leg irons, 2 pairs handcuffs. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 — — Map (db m118695) HM|
|► Texas (McMullen County), Tilden — 3304 — McMullen County|
|Created 1858. Organized 1862. Abandoned because of bandit activities in thicket area during the Civil War. Reorganized 1877, with Tilden as county seat. Named for John McMullen (1785-1853), founder with James McGloin of the Irish Colony at . . . — — Map (db m117591) HM|
|► Texas (McMullen County), Tilden — 3799 — Old Rock Store|
|Built about 1865 by Pat Cavanaugh, Irish stonemason, assisted by Dick Barker. Site of gun battles in Dog Town (now Tilden), "wide open" during lawless era of the 1860's and 1870's. Preserved since 1929 by Clifton Wheeler, owner. . . . — — Map (db m118696) HM|
|► Texas (McMullen County), Tilden — 12675 — Old San Antonio-Laredo Road|
|Shortly after the founding of Laredo, in 1755, the Spanish established a transportation-communication route across this site. The road provided necessary abundance of water and grass for travel across this arid region, and served as a vital link . . . — — Map (db m117621) HM|
|► Texas (McMullen County), Tilden — 5492 — Tilden|
Settled 1858 as Rio Frio.
Later called "Dog Town" because ranchers used many dogs to round up cattle.
1871 townsite was laid out as Colfax.
Made county seat 1877. |
Renamed for S.J. Tilden, who won popular vote for U.S. President, . . . — — Map (db m118693) HM
7 markers matched your search criteria.