Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Robertson County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
1859 Masonic Lodge & General Store Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, July 24, 2013
1859 Masonic Lodge & General Store Marker
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — 1859 Masonic Lodge & General Store
This building served as a lodge, general store, and post office from 1859 until the 1950s. Today it serves as the Port Royal State Park Headquarters. The lower floor is divided into two rooms, the larger served as the general store and the . . . — Map (db m82317) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — Adams War Memorial
Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of our men and women who served our country.

PVT Oscar Porter, WWI • USN1 Lester Whitehead, WWII • Tech/4 George R. Walling WWII • PFC Mack D. Cavender Korea • LCPL Russell B. Corbin, Jr. Vietnam • PFC Clifton . . . — Map (db m107592) WM

Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — 3C 38 — Bell Witch
To the north was the farm of John Bell, an early, prominent settler from North Carolina. According to legend, his family was harried during the early 19th century by the famous Bell Witch. She kept the household in turmoil, assaulted Bell, and drove . . . — Map (db m50725) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — Fort Redmond — Red River Blockhouse No. 1
The Edgefield and Kentucky Railroad was vitally important for transporting soldiers and supplies. Confederate forces constructed Fort Redmond to protect and defend the railroad bridge a mile northwest of here, near the confluence of the Red River . . . — Map (db m82327) WM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — 3C 45 — Port Royal
One mile N. at confluence of Red River and Sulphur Ford Creek is Port Royal, early center of commerce and manufacturing. It was settled in 1784 and nearby was Weld, the first court in Tennessee County, N.C. established in 1788. The Red River Baptist . . . — Map (db m68619) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — 3C 11 — Red River Church
1/2 mile from here is the present site of the Red River Baptist Church. Constituted July 25, 1791, its first location was 1 1/2 miles west, near the south bank of the Red River. It is the first church to be founded west of the Cumberlands. It was . . . — Map (db m68617) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — 3C 66 — Renfroe's Station
Established in 1780 as the first settlement in Montgomery County. Renfroe’s Station was located 1.4 miles northwest of here on the north side of the Red River at the mouth of Parson’s Creek. Moses Renfroe’s party broke from the John Donelson . . . — Map (db m68635) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — Stores of Port Royal — Port Royal State Historic Park
The earliest stores in Port Royal date back to the late 1790s, most of which were taverns and inns. Stores could thrive for many years due to the commerce brought in by the Great Western Road which passed through Port Royal. At various times the . . . — Map (db m68632) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Adams — The Town of Port Royal — Port Royal State Historic Park
Port Royal was one of the earliest towns in Tennessee. It began as a settlers fort around 1785 and was founded as a town in 1797, one year after Tennessee became a state. The town became a center of regional commerce and remained an important town . . . — Map (db m68631) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Cedar Hill — 3C 41 — Camp Cheatham
Named for Benjamin Franklin Cheatham, who was in 1861 appointed brigadier general in the Provisional Army, Independent State of Tennessee, and its first camp commander, the training camp established in this area in June, 1861 was used by numerous . . . — Map (db m68594) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Cedar Hill — 3C 67 — Joseph W. Byrns — 1869-1936
Joseph Wellington Byrns was born in 1869 in a small cabin near Cedar Hill. A graduate of the Law Department of Vanderbilt University, he served in both chambers of the Tennessee General Assembly. Elected to the United States House of . . . — Map (db m68595) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Coopertown — 3C 4 — Battle Creek Massacre
2 miles S.E., along Battle Creek in Jan. 1780, settlers fleeing from Renfro's Station on Red River about 17 miles away, were caught by Indians and massacred. The sole survivor was a widow named Jones who made her way 4 days later into a Settlements . . . — Map (db m123306) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Coopertown — Nave's Crossroads Coopertown
David Nave built a blacksmith shop & home near this crossing of the Nashville to Hopkinsville Rd. & the Ironworks Rd. in 1829, thus was called Nave's Crossroads. A post office was begun in 1852 & located 600 feet east of here named Coopertown due to . . . — Map (db m123307) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Portland — Civil War in Tennessee — Invaders, North and South
In 1861, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, which I-65 largely parallels today, connected the mid-South to the Ohio River and the industrial centers of the North. During the war, however, it brought invaders to both Tennessee and Kentucky as a . . . — Map (db m84485) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Portland — Duval-Groves House — Camp Trousdale
James Duval constructed this house between 1850 and 1853, and James and Mariah Groves owned and occupied it during the Civil War. Mariah Groves lived here until her death in 1897. Groves family members shown in the photograph reminisced about . . . — Map (db m68573) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — An Army In Springfield — Federal Occupation
For most residents, Robertson County was a difficult place to live during the war. After the fall of Confederate Forts Henry and Donelson in 1862, Union forces occupied the county and made the town of Springfield a military base, where they guarded . . . — Map (db m82328) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Crockett's Station
Samuel Crockett, Revolutionary War veteran from Pennsylvania built a fort east of here in 1788. During an attack by Indians in 1789 Rev. Patrick Martin was wounded and the daughter of Thomas Norris killed. Crockett lived to age 87 and is buried at . . . — Map (db m123329) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Fallen Confederate Soldiers — In Memorium
In Memorium Pro Artis et Focis (For hearth and home) Not for fame or reward, not for place or for rank Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity But in simple, obedience to duty As they understood it, these men suffered all . . . — Map (db m82329) WM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — 3C 48 — First United Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church, built in 1839, is the oldest public building in current use in Robertson County, located in lot 17 of the original city plat. The bell, still in use, was given by the Cheatham family. A center partition placed men on . . . — Map (db m68592) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Guarding Springfield — The Federal Occupation
Early in the war, townswomen met at the Henry H. Kirk house, just north of here, to sew uniforms and blankets for Confederate soldiers after Kirk bought sewing machines and patterns in St. Louis, Missouri. When the 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry hoisted . . . — Map (db m82330) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — 3C 43 — Morgan's Return — November 2, 1862
Returning from the Kentucky Campaign of September-October, 1862, his command now consisting of the 2nd, 7th and 9th Kentucky Calvary, Colonel John Hunt Morgan stopped briefly in this region, while a detachment under Lt. Colonel Hutchinson destroyed . . . — Map (db m123305) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — 3C 26 — Mount Zion
The Methodist church nearby was first organized by Jesse Walker in 1798. It first met at the home of Samuel Crockett, a veteran of the Revolution. The first church was built in 1804 on land donated by Crockett and Rev. Patrick Martin. It was . . . — Map (db m123312) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — 3C 37 — Peoples-Tucker School
Founded in 1908 by James A. Peoples and Everett B. Tucker, this school operated from this site until 1925. Its founders, graduates of William R. Webb's famous school at Culleoka, later at Bell Buckle, followed largely the policies and teaching . . . — Map (db m123301) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Robertson County Courthouse
The center section of this building was constructed in 1879 with red brick. The north and south wings and clock tower were added in 1929 and covered with the brick now visible. This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m68590) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Robertson County Courthouse
Robertson County was established April 9, 1796, during the first session of the General Assembly of Tennessee. The act provided commissioners to establish the county government system and raise money to build a courthouse and jail. Court meetings . . . — Map (db m84493) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Robertson County Korean War Memorial — 1950 - 1953
Korean War 1950 - 1953 Fred Lee Anderson Mack Daniel Cavender William Wayne Cowan Marion Eugene Gower William Henry Hall Jack Ray Harrison Willie S. Heatherly Alfred Henson, Jr. Calvin Carney Jarrell, Jr. William . . . — Map (db m84529) WM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Robertson County Vietnam Memorial
In Memory Of Maj. Carl S. Miller 1934 – 1966 Cp. Jimmie C. Hutcherson 1946 – 1967 Sp/4 James R. Adams 1947 – 1967 Cpl. Douglas W. Murphy 1946 – 1967 Sgt. Darrell W. Heatherly 1943 – 1967 . . . — Map (db m84533) WM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Robertson County World War II Memorial
World War II 1941  ★  1945 Honoring All Who Served And Remembering Those Who Gave Their Lives Lester Baird • E. Burton Balthrop • George Wm. Black, Jr. • John C. Buntin • James E. Carver • James E. Clark • Thomas R. Clinard . . . — Map (db m84532) WM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Robertson County World War II Tree Memorial
The Home and Community Department of Robertson County Farm Bureau plants this tree in memory and appreciation of Veterans of World War II — Map (db m84531) WM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — 3C 42 — Saint Michael's Mission
About 3½ mi. N.W. stands the oldest active Catholic Church in Tennessee, on land from the "Wessyngton" estate, dedicated May 8, 1842. Lumber for the rear addition, built in 1934, came from the "Glenraven" estate. The tower was added in 1942, . . . — Map (db m123311) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Springfield Historic District — Residential Section
This area is a city designated residential historic district. Although settled in 1796; the existing homes in this neighborhood date from 1833. They include a wide range of architectural styles. These homes stand as a lasting testimony to the . . . — Map (db m123310) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Springfield — County Seat
Springfield was named as the seat of justice for Robertson County in 1796. By 1798 a town survey and map were completed and the lots sold for $8.00 each. The Public Square is on the National Register as a Historic District. — Map (db m84535) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Springfield Historic District — Residential Section
This area is a city designated residential historic district. Although settled in 1796, the existing homes in this neighborhood date from 1833. They include a wide range of architectural styles. These homes stand as a lasting testimony to the . . . — Map (db m68593) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — 3C 25 — Tennessee / Kentucky
★   Tennessee   ★ Robertson County Established 1796: named in honor of James Robertson Leader in establishment of the Watauga Settlement in East Tennessee. In 1778, explored the Cumberland country; in 1779 led an . . . — Map (db m123302) HM
Tennessee (Robertson County), Springfield — Tennessee Light and Power Company
Site of the Tennessee Light and Power Company founded by Alonzo Frank Trimble. This company pioneered rural electrification in the following Tennessee counties: Benton, Carroll, Davidson, Robertson, Sumner, and Wilson. Also, operated in Logan . . . — Map (db m84534) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.