Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Russell County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Smith’s Fort Marker on Northbound U.S. 19 at Crossover A image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
Smith’s Fort Marker on Northbound U.S. 19 at Crossover A
Virginia (Russell County), Belfast Mills — XY-17 — Smith’s Fort
Near here, in 1774, stood Daniel Smith’s fort, also known as Fort Christian. The fort was named for Smith, who was a surveyor and captain of the military company on Upper Clinch River. — Map (db m89861) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Castlewood — X-7 — Russell’s Fort
On the hill to the north stood Russell’s Fort, an important link in the chain of forts built to protect settlers on Clinch River in the Indian War of 1774. William Russell, who established it, was a prominent soldier of the Revolution. — Map (db m89826) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Council — XB-26 — Helen Timmons Henderson(1877–1925)
Helen Timmons Henderson, born in Missouri and raised in Tennessee, was one of the first two women elected to Virginia’s General Assembly. She and her husband moved to Council in 1911 when the Baptist State Mission Board of Virginia recruited . . . — Map (db m104934) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Dickensonville — KA-13 — Dorton’s Fort
William Dorton Sr. and his family, settled here by 1773 and built a fort, one of several defensive structures built by settlers of European descent on the Virginia frontier. Dorton's sons William Jr. Moses fought in the Revolutionary War and . . . — Map (db m89847) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Dickensonville — Jessee’s Mill
Jessee's mill is 2.5 miles north on Jessee’s Mill Road. The first grindstone mill, mortarless dam, and millrace were built before 1794. John Jessee, Revolutionary War musician and infantryman, purchased the mill and lands in 1724. Handmade . . . — Map (db m91038) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Dickensonville — X-4 — Old Russell County Courthouse
This building, erected in 1792, served as the second courthouse of Russell County and is one of the earliest public buildings still standing in Southwest Virginia. Russell County was formed in 1786 from Washington County and originally . . . — Map (db m91034) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Elk Garden — X-9 — Elk Garden Fort
This fort was one of a string of defensive posts and protective forts that served the community of Elk Garden and isolated homes in the Clinch Valley in the 18th century. There is no known date of construction, but it is believed to have been a . . . — Map (db m89859) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Elk Garden — X-3 — Frances Dickenson Scott Johnson
Near this site is the grave of Frances Dickenson Scott Johnson (died 1796), sister of Henry Dickenson who was the first clerk of Russell County. In 1785, while living in Powell’s Valley in Scott County, her first husband, Archibald Scott, and . . . — Map (db m91048) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Grassy Creek — X-5 — Early Settlers in Russell County
In 1787, Isaiah Salyer (1752-1818), son of Zachariah Salyer (1730-1789) of North Carolina settled on Copper Creek, two miles southeast of here. Isaiah's brothers John, Benjamin, and Zachariah, and sisters Sarah, wife of Solomon Saylor, and . . . — Map (db m89849) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Honaker — Z-93 — Buchanan County / Russell CountyArea 514 Square Miles / Area 496 Square Miles
Buchanan County. Area 514 square miles. Formed in 1858 from Tazewell and Russell, and named for James Buchanan, President of the United States, 1857–1861. Russell County. Area 496 square miles. Formed in 1786 from . . . — Map (db m104942) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Honaker — The Home and Grave of David MusickPioneer Settler, and Victim of Indian Atrocity
Musick was killed by Shawnee Indians August 12, 1792. His wife, Annie, and five children were taken captives, but were returned by White Settlers one day later. His grave marker is located about 100 yards south of here, and home site about 200 yard . . . — Map (db m104943) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Lebanon — X-8 — Glade Hollow Fort
A short distance south stood Glade Hollow Fort, garrisoned by twenty-one men in 1774. From Witten’s to Blackmore’s, these Clinch Valley forts were the frontier defenses in Dunmore’s War, 1774. — Map (db m89856) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Lebanon — X-6 — Russell Courthouse
The county government was organized at Russell’s Fort, May 9, 1786, with the following officers: Alexander Barnett, County Lieutenant; David Ward, Sheriff; Henry Dickenson, Clerk. Justices: Henry Smith, Henry Dickenson, David Ward, John Thompson, . . . — Map (db m91042) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Mew — X-18 — Moore’s Fort
Moore’s Fort, also referred to as Byrd’s Fort, stood nearby close to the Clinch River. Built by 1774 and likely named for the owners of the property, the wooden structure served as defensive fortification for settlers of European descent on the . . . — Map (db m89811) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.