Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sussex County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Jarratt's Station Marker (facing west) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, May 9, 2009
Jarratt's Station Marker (facing west)
Virginia (Sussex County), Jarratt — UM-12 — Jarratt's Station
On Jarratt Avenue at South Halifax Road, on the right when traveling west on Jarratt Avenue.
On 8 May 1864 Jarratt's Station, a nearby depot on the Petersburg Railroad, was the subject of a Union cavalry raid. Brig. Gen. August V. Kautz led his division on a series of raids in early May to cut the railroad from Petersburg to Weldon, North . . . — Map (db m18858) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Jarratt — UM-14 — Old Halifax Road
On Blue Star Highway (U.S. 301) 0.3 miles north of Henry Road.
Here the highway merges with the Halifax Road, the ancient road from Petersburg to Halifax, North Carolina. Over this road Cornwallis marched in May, 1781, from Halifax to Petersburg in his invasion of Virginia. Over this road the Confederates . . . — Map (db m18868) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Lambs — Z-34 — Prince George County / Sussex County
On Courtland Road (Virginia Route 35) 0.5 miles south of Log Road, on the right when traveling south.
(Obverse) Prince George County Area 294 Square Miles Formed in 1702 from Charles City, and named for Prince George of Denmark, husband of Queen Anne. The battles of the crater, 1864, and Fort Steadman, 1865, took place in this . . . — Map (db m18111) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Stony Creek — UM-18 — History At Stony Creek
On Blue Star Highway (U.S. 301) at Lee Avenue (State Highway 40), on the right when traveling south on Blue Star Highway.
In 1864, supplies for Lee's army were carted from the Weldon Railroad here to Petersburg. Here the Union Cavalryman, Wilson, returning from his raid in Burkeville, fought an action with Lee's cavalry, June 28-29, 1864. The place was raided by . . . — Map (db m7752) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Stony Creek — Jones Chapel Methodist Church
On Comans Well Road (Virginia Route 642) at Tyus Lane, on the right when traveling west on Comans Well Road.
Site of Jones Chapel Methodist Church Organized 1777 – Closed 1926 The 16th Virginia Annual Conference was held here in 1799. The Reverend Jesse Lee presided due to the illness of Bishop Asbury. A great revival was . . . — Map (db m39793) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Stony Creek — UM-16 — Nottoway River Crossings
On Blue Star Highway (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling south.
Several important river crossings took place over the Nottoway River during two wars. Revolutionary War cavalry commander Lt.Col. John Graves Simcoe led British forces across the river in this area on 11 May 1781, as he rode south to join Gen. . . . — Map (db m7821) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Stony Creek — K 309-a — Sappony Baptist Church
On Concord Sappony Road 0.1 miles south of Sussex Drive (Virginia Route 40), on the left when traveling south.
Sappony Baptist Church, originally called Sappony Meeting House, was erected here in 1773. It was a part of the Kehukee Association, which consisted of churches in North Carolina and Virginia. In 1791, these associations divided along state lines . . . — Map (db m18852) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Stony Creek — Sappony ChurchHampton’s Cavalry: "Too strong to be overcome" — Wilson-Kautz Raid —
On Sussex Drive (Virginia Route 40) at Concord Sappony Road, on the left when traveling west on Sussex Drive.
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destoy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m18841) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Stony Creek — Z-35 — Sussex County / Dinwiddie County
On Sussex Drive (Virginia Route 40) 0.3 miles east of Flatfoot Road (Virginia Route 626), on the left when traveling east.
(obverse) Sussex County Area 515 Square Miles Formed in 1753 from Surry, and named for an English county. Cornwallis passed through this county in 1781. (reverse) Dinwiddie County Area 521 Square Miles . . . — Map (db m69937) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Sussex — Sussex County Confederate Monument
Near Courthouse Road at Thornton Square.
(front) Our Confederate Soldiers “The principles for which they fought live eternally.” (rear) List of companies organized in and sent out from Sussex County: Co.A, 41st Va. Reg’t, Infantry, . . . — Map (db m39792) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Sussex — Sussex County Courthouse
Near Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 735) at Thornton Square.
Begun 1825 Completed 1828 Built by Dabney Cosby master brickmason under Thomas Jefferson in the construction of the University of Virginia Declared a National Historic Landmark 1973-Exterior restored by the Board of Supervisors . . . — Map (db m39790) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Sussex — Sussex County War Memorial
Near Courthouse Road at Thornton Square.
(front) Dedicated to the memory of Sussex County citizens who gave their lives in service to their country 1917 – 1958 World War I William F. Chappell John J. Ellis George R. Evans Richmond W. Holloway . . . — Map (db m39791) WM
Virginia (Sussex County), Sussex — UO-5 — The Cattle (Beefsteak) Raid
On Jerusalem Plank Road (Virginia Route 35) 0.1 miles south of Courthouse Road, on the right when traveling south.
One mile southwest, on September 16, 1864, General Wade Hampton's Confederate Cavalry herded about 2500 head of captured cattle across the Nottoway River, while two miles northwest, at Belsches' Mill, Federal troops sent to recapture the cattle were . . . — Map (db m18156) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Wakefield — K-230 — Colonel Michael Blow
On General Mahone Highway (U.S. 460) 0.1 miles east of Cedar Lane, on the right when traveling east.
One mile south on Seacock Swamp stood the home of Col. Michael Blow. He was the first Chairman of the Committee of Safety of Sussex County, member of the House of Burgesses, member of the First Virginia Convention (1774), County Justice, and colonel . . . — Map (db m35980) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Wakefield — K-281 — Roadside Commerce
On County Drive (U.S. 460) at Sussex Avenue, on the right when traveling east on County Drive.
Virginia’s highway system took shape during the 1920s as automobile ownership expanded rapidly. State Route 52 was established in 1928 to connect Suffolk with Prince George County. In 1933, this road became part of the new U.S. 460 from Roanoke to . . . — Map (db m103868) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Wakefield — Z-268 — Sussex County / Southampton County
On General Mahone Highway (U.S. 460) at Skeet lane, on the right when traveling west on General Mahone Highway.
(Obverse) Sussex County Area 515 Square Miles Formed in 1753 from Surry, and named for an English county. Cornwallis passed through this county in 1781. (Reverse) Southampton County Area 604 Square Miles . . . — Map (db m18110) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Wakefield — Wakefield Fountain Corner
On West Church Street (Virginia Route 603) at County Drive (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling south on West Church Street.
In dedication and grateful memory of all who have served in the Armed Forces to protect our Country and defend its Freedom throughout history. November 11, 2004 — Map (db m103894) WM
Virginia (Sussex County), Waverly — K-309 — Coppahaunk Springs
On Coppahaunk Avenue (County Route T-1028) 0.1 miles south of West Main Street (Virginia Route 40), on the right when traveling south.
A Nottoway Indian town was located two miles south at the springs when the English settlement was established at Jamestown in 1607. The Nottoways gave the three springs the name, Coppahaunk, meaning "good health or healing waters." About 1825, . . . — Map (db m35989) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Waverly — K-306 — Early Peanut Crop
On South County Drive (U.S. 460) near George Town Road (Virginia Route 615), on the right when traveling west.
One mile northwest Dr. Matthew Harris grew the first commercial crop of peanuts in the United States, according to tradition, in or soon after 1842. — Map (db m35984) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Waverly — K-314 — Ellis Preaching House
On South County Drive (U.S. 460) at Walnut Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on South County Drive.
Nearby to the northeast stood Ellis Preaching House, an early Methodist meetingplace in Sussex County. Francis Asbury, a pioneering Methodist leader and circuit rider, first visited the Ellis family in 1775 and later conducted services at the . . . — Map (db m35985) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Waverly — K-308 — Miles B. Carpenter
On North County Drive (U.S. 460) at Hunter Street (Virginia Route 653), on the right when traveling east on North County Drive.
Miles B. Carpenter (1889-1985) moved to a Sussex County peanut farm from Pennsylvania in 1902. He entered the lumber business in 1912 with a planing mill and sawmill. When business slowed during World War II, he whittled figures but did not carve in . . . — Map (db m35988) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Yale — UO-6 — Antioch Baptist Church
On Courthouse Road (State Road 735) at Peters Bridge Road (State Road 631), on the right when traveling north on Courthouse Road.
Antioch Baptist Church was the first of its denomination in Sussex County and one of the earliest in Virginia. It was formed on 13 June 1772 with 87 members, the result of effective preaching by Elder John Meglamre, of Kehukee Baptist Church in . . . — Map (db m69386) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement