Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

West Baton Rouge Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Addis Museum Building image, Touch for more information
September 19, 2014
Addis Museum Building
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Addis — Addis Museum"Bank Of Addis"
Chartered in 1919, the Bank of Addis was constructed the following year on land purchased from William Gassie, Jr., one of the original bank shareholders. In 1925 the Bank became a branch of the Port Allen Bank and Trust Company. Following the Stock . . . — Map (db m85000) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Addis — St. Delphine Plantation"The Big House"
Originally a 218.02 acre Spanish land grant to Valery Bergeron in the late 1700s, Warwick Flanigan built in 1860 a Greek Revival mansion for Isidore Daigle. In 1871 property sold to Auguste J. Levert, Sr. and Leon Bernard. Levert bought Bernard’s . . . — Map (db m87255) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Addis — St. Mary's A.M.E. Church
St. Mary's A.M.E. Church was founded on September 16, 1888 and erected in 1889. August Levert, plantation owner, donated a tract of land to Albert Henderson to build a church under the doctrines of the African Methodist Episcopal . . . — Map (db m121111) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Addis — Town Of Addis"Baton Rouge Junction"
Addis was founded in 1881 as "Baton Rouge Junction" an important roundhouse on the Texas and Pacific Railroad. From this roundhouse passengers and freight were ferried across the river to Baton Rouge. The Texas and Pacific line was part of the . . . — Map (db m88235) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
Established 1865 Oldest African-American Baptist Church in West Baton Rouge Parish. Luke Billups, Sr. a native of Virginia, built the church and served as first pastor. The community “Lukeville” grew from property he purchased in 1867. . . . — Map (db m86902) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Antonia Plantation
A typical raised Creole Cottage, Antonia was an early 1800's working sugar plantation. Established through a 1793 Spanish Land Grant claimed by Pierre Lebert. Zephirin Blanchard married Lebert's daughter Elsie and expanded the plantation. Blanchard . . . — Map (db m84999) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Brusly, LouisianaOldest Settlement In West Baton Rouge — Village Of Brusly Landing Incorporated October 1, 1901
Side A Following the 1755 exile from Nova Scotia Acadians & descendants received Spanish land grants and settled the area. Among those arriving in 1785 was Jacques Molaison, who began a business. A settlement grew around his land; the name . . . — Map (db m86621) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Charles P. Adams
July 21, 1873 – June 27, 1961 Charles Philip Adams, Brusly native and Tuskegee Institute graduate, followed Booker T. Washington’s advice to travel to North Louisiana to develop a school. On November 1, 1901, Adams founded and opened the . . . — Map (db m86590) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Herbert Osborn Dickerson2/28/1907 - 12/4/1964
Herbert O. Dickerson, son of Osborne and Mary Dickerson, was born at their home on Paul Lane near Brusly, Louisiana, and raised in that area throughout his life except for his time of military service. After being drafted into the service during . . . — Map (db m109921) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Historic Cinclare Plantation
Formerly Marengo Plantation, Cinclare was purchased by James H. Laws in 1878. With its own currency, work animals, plantation store, staff housing, and railroad, it was a self-sufficient sugar mill “company town.” — Map (db m91265) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Historic Lukeville School
Established by Luke Billups in 1887 at Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, Lukeville School has provided elementary education since its founding. In addition to serving the Lukeville community, it also served black students from nearby areas. . . . — Map (db m86881) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Israelite Missionary Baptist Church
This institution of worship can trace its roots to the 1890s, but it was formally chartered in 1905. The congregation was established as Israelite Baptist Church of Brusly Landing. The original church was a rectangular gable ended . . . — Map (db m121116) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Molaisonville / St. James Square
(side 1) Molaisonville Jacques Molaison arrived in Louisiana with his family in 1785, settling on a Spanish land grant north of this site. He established a mercantile business and the community that grew around it became known . . . — Map (db m85689) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — New Brusly Town Hall Memorial
This plaque was displayed at entrance to the Brusly Town Hall built in 1969. Located at 150 East St. Francis Street, it was approximately 100 feet behind the present police station. It was the first structure erected specifically for town . . . — Map (db m111614) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Open Sugar Kettles
Open sugar kettles, originally used to produce granulated sugar, were phased out beginning about 1830. This kettle purchased from Cinclare Plantation in the 1960s by Vernon and Joyce Peavy Caffarel, was last used to water livestock.

Donated by . . . — Map (db m109938) HM

Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Original Brusly High School
First West Baton Rouge Parish public high school. Built in 1911 for grades 1-11 to serve students in area from Beaulieu to Chenango Plantations. WPA program completed the gym & adjacent building in 1938. Original school constructed under the . . . — Map (db m91996) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery
(side 1) West Baton Rouge conveyance records reveal that on June 28, 1833, Jean Baptiste Hebert donated land for use as a cemetery for the congregation of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church. With Hebert’s permission, the tract had already . . . — Map (db m85121) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — St. John the Baptist Catholic Church/Eglise Catholique St Jean Baptiste
This community of faith was incorporated March 19. 1835 by an act of the Louisiana State Legislature as "L'eglise de St. Jean Baptiste D'Ouest Baton Rouge." At this time, parishioners congregated at the home of Jean Baptiste Hebert, then later . . . — Map (db m121181) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — The Back Brusly Oak
Member Louisiana Live Oak Society. Estimated to be over 330 years old in the Bicentennial Year of 1976. Community gathering place for many years. (plaque) Back Brusly Oak preservation project 2004 made possible by a cooperative . . . — Map (db m86589) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Brusly — Union Baptist Church
Oral tradition recounts a visit by an African American gospel preacher in 1804. He preached the Baptist Christian Doctrine for the first time in West Baton Rouge near the foot of the levee where present day Gwin St. would have met the . . . — Map (db m121129) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Plaquemine — Sardine PointThe Cut Off
Side 1 Created by a meander of the Mississippi River in approximately A.D. 1300, this point of land has been known by many names - Manchac Point, Australia Point, Sardine Point and the "Cut Off." Settled by members of the Plaquemine . . . — Map (db m87257) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Allendale Plantation
Home of second Louisiana Confederate governor Henry Watkins Allen. Purchased from Colonel William Nolan in 1852 for $300,000, which included 125 slaves. House burned by Federal troops during the War. — Map (db m88779) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Calumet Plantation
Home of Douglas C. Montan (1834-96), who named this plantation “Calumet” after Indian name for peace-pipe. Montan represented Iberville and West Baton Rouge Parishes in the La. State Senate. Montan wrote (1856) a popular book entitled . . . — Map (db m88459) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Gear from Cinclare Mill
This gear came from West Baton Rouge Parish's last remaining sugar mill, Cinclare, located near Brusly. The property was once called Marengo Plantation. James H. Laws of Cincinnati, Ohio purchased Marengo for $26,000 in 1878 and renamed the . . . — Map (db m88271) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Gulf Intracoastal WaterwayHwy. 1 Intracoastal Boat Launch — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
The Port Allen Lock connects the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico to the Port of Greater Baton Rouge and other points north along the Mississippi River, shortening the distance for boat traffic about 120 miles.

The . . . — Map (db m111836) HM

Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — James "Slim Harpo" Moore
Blues artist "Slim Harpo" was born James Moore in Lobdell, LA in February 1924. He worked as a longshoreman and construction worker during the late 1930's and early 40's. He began performing in Baton Rouge bars as "Harmonica Slim". Harpo began his . . . — Map (db m85007) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Louisiana Purchase - West Baton Rouge Early History
(panel 1) Life in Early Nineteenth Century West Baton Rouge… In 1803, very few Americans lived in West Baton Rouge Parish. It was populated by various Native American tribes; Creoles, who descended from original French and . . . — Map (db m89070) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Mississippi RiverPort Allen Old Ferry Landing — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
At one time, all east-west traffic now traveling U.S. Route 190 crossed the Mississippi River via ferry to this site. The ferry was first used by horses and wagons, later by cars and trucks, and always by pedestrians.

The Mississippi River . . . — Map (db m111781) HM

Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Mississippi River Old Ferry LandingPort Allen - Baton Rouge Site — 1820-1968
Horses and wagons first used the ferry, then gradually giving way to cars and trucks. Pedestrian traffic was always an important part of the ferry service. At one time all east-west traffic traveling on U.S. 190 crossed the Mississippi River at this . . . — Map (db m88245) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Oaks Plantation
At the time of the Louisiana Purchase this tract of land belonged to a Madame Patin. In 1838 her heirs sold the tract to Jesse Patrick. Patrick purchased the neighboring southern property from Aurore Allain. At the time of Patrick's ownership, . . . — Map (db m121108) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Poplar Grove Plantation
(side A) The principal residence at Poplar Grove was built as the Banker's Pavilion at the World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition 1884-85 in New Orleans. The Victorian structure designed by architect Thomas Sully . . . — Map (db m92119) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Port Allen High School (1936-1978) / Port Allen Middle School (1979-Present)
High school opportunities in the parish date to at least 1897, when Eureka Central School in Brusly offered classes to white students in the ninth, tenth, and later eleventh grades. In 1899, the West Baton Rouge School Board made plans for three . . . — Map (db m111837) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Port Allen Prisoner-Of-War Sub-Camp No. 7
(side A) This fountain is the only remaining structure of the World War II prisoner-of-war Sub-Camp No. 7. Sub-Camp No. 7 was a satellite camp of the larger Camp Plauche located downriver in Harahan. In operation from 1943-1946, it . . . — Map (db m88781) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Rosedale Road(LA Hwy. 986)
Over the Rosedale Road in May 1864 marched the Union army of Major General Nathaniel P. Banks on its return to New Orleans following the failure of the Red River Campaign. — Map (db m88359) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Sandbar Plantation House
Built c1837 for Dr. Thomas Philander and Marie Aureline Vaughan as a wedding gift. Purchased in 1925 by Chas. H. Dameron, who introduced the first steam shovel to levee construction. Mrs. Ethel Claiborne “Puffy” Dameron's residence . . . — Map (db m86587) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Stone Square Lodge No. 8
On August 21, 1879 the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Louisiana issued a charter to Worshipful Master Sterling Barrow, Senior Warden Alexander Gilbert and Junior Warden Alex Bains to organize Stone Square Lodge No. 8. It is one of the oldest Prince . . . — Map (db m121106) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Sunrise
(Side A) In 1874 Alexander Banes, a former slave, purchased property which he sold to Sunrise Realty Co. in 1905. About 1906 the Missouri-Pacific Railroad began using a train-ferry to cross the Mississippi River, causing a great spurt in . . . — Map (db m92001) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — Third Parish Courthouse1882-1957
Site of third West Baton Rouge Parish Courthouse. Saved by the efforts of the West Baton Rouge Garden & Civic Club, who established the first library on the 2nd floor of this building July 11, 1933. After partial demolition in 1957 Clerk of Court’s . . . — Map (db m88282) HM
Louisiana (West Baton Rouge Parish), Port Allen — West Baton Rouge Parish Bicentennial1807-2007
Side A On March 14, 1699, Iberville and Bienville arrived in the “Bayagoula nation,” where the Bayougoula Indians inhabited the country west of the Mississippi River near Bayou Manchac. The parish’s original 600 square miles . . . — Map (db m89062) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.