Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Forsyth, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Bessie Tift College Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, September 15, 2012
Bessie Tift College Marker
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — Bessie Tift College
In 1864-1865 the buildings and grounds of this institution then known as Monroe Female College were used as a Confederate hospital, while classes met in private homes — Map (db m59583) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-6 — Confederate Dead and Hospitals
Here sleep "Known but to God," 299 unknown Confederate soldiers and one known. Most of these men, veterans of many hard fought battles, died in the several Confederate hospitals located in this town. Here is also buried a gallant Confederate girl, . . . — Map (db m417) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-10 — Confederate Hospital Camp
100 yards southeast is the location of a Confederate Hospital Camp established in the summer of 1864. Soldiers wounded in battles around Atlanta were brought by train to Forsyth. The buildings at the college and other buildings in Forsyth were soon . . . — Map (db m22486) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-4 — Forsyth
Forsyth, County Seat of Monroe County, was incorporated by Act of Legislature in 1823. It is in almost the exact geographical center of the State. First commissioners were James S. Phillips, Henry H. Lumpkin, John E. Bailey, Anderson Baldwin and . . . — Map (db m25945) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-7 — Georgia Militia at Forsyth
On Nov. 16, 1864, Maj. Gen. G. W. Smith, CSA, reached Griffin (30 miles NW) after a night withdrawal from Lovejoy’s Station (13 miles N of Griffin) where he had been posted to support Iverson’s division of Wheeler’s cavalry [CS] which was watching . . . — Map (db m25655) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-8 — Kilpatrick's Cavalry At The Towaliga River
On Nov. 17, 1864, Kilpatrick’s cavalry division [US], which was covering the right flank of Gen. Sherman’s army on its March to the Sea, moved from Bear Creek Station (Hampton) 31 mi. NW, down the north bank of Towaliga River to threaten Griffin and . . . — Map (db m26947) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-3 — Monroe County
Created by Act of May 15, 1821, Monroe County, an original county containing all of Pike and parts of Bibb, Butts and Lamar Counties, was ceded by the Creek Indians in early 1821. Laid out by the Lottery Act, it was rapidly occupied by large numbers . . . — Map (db m25941) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-1 — State Teachers and Agricultural College/Hubbard Training School
Founded in 1902 by William M. Hubbard, STAC was one of the state’s official schools for the instruction of black teachers between 1931 and 1938. Originally named the Forsyth Normal and Industrial School, STAC was one of three black public colleges . . . — Map (db m15039) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-7 — Tift College
Chartered in 1849 as Forsyth Female Collegiate Institute, Tift College was one of the group of colleges pioneering in the education of women. Known for 50 years as Monroe College, the name was changed in 1907 to Bessie Tift College, honoring a . . . — Map (db m25657) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 41 K-4 — Where Uncle Remus Came of Age
One block east stood the old office of The Monroe Advertiser, where Joel Chandler Harris, creator of “Uncle Remus,” came in 1867, as a boy of nineteen, to work until 1870. Here he advanced from printer’s devil to accomplished . . . — Map (db m25354) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement