Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pleasanton, Texas Historical Markers

 
Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons Marker image, Touch for more information
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons Marker
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 1056 — Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons
Chartered March 27, 1871, on petition of Master Masons of Pleasanton Lodge No. 283, A.F. and A.M., and the surrounding area. Met in upper floor of the Isaac Cooper home until 1891; over Cooper Brothers store until Masonic Hall was built in 1961. . . . — Map (db m56589) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 11698 — Coughran
Established on land purchased in 1901, the town of Coughran was named for founder and early settler W. A. "Abe" Coughran. He persuaded the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Raildroad to build tracks through his property. The town was platted in 1913; by . . . — Map (db m56590) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 1666 — First Baptist Church of Pleasanton
On December 16, 1866, seven charter members met together to organize the First Baptist Church of Pleasanton. They met for worship in a variety of places, including the county courthouse in 1867, a schoolhouse south of town in 1870, and the Rock . . . — Map (db m56594) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 3797 — Old Rock Schoolhouse
Constructed of locally quarried red sandstone, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was built in 1874 with funds pledged by citizens of Pleasanton. Once completed, the building was deeded to the county for free public school purposes. In addition to its . . . — Map (db m56605) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4056 — Pleasanton (Founded 1858)
Named for early Texas settler John Pleasants, by John Bowen (d.1867), San Antonio's first Anglo-American postmaster. Bowen, assisted financially by associate Henry L. Radaz, in Sept. 1858 founded this town at the juncture of Atascosa River and . . . — Map (db m56599) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 12533 — Pleasanton City Cemetery
Begun in 1865 as a family burial ground, the Pleasanton City Cemetery is a reflection of the history of the community from its earliest days. The first burial was that of three-year-old Gustave B. Doak, whose parents, Jonathan and Mary Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m56600) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4057 — Pleasanton First United Methodist Church
This congregation was organized in 1857, one year before the city of Pleasanton was founded. The church was established largely through the efforts of early Methodist circuit preachers such as John Wesley DeVilbliss and Augustus C. Fairman, who . . . — Map (db m56601) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 16243 — Pleasanton School Integration
Pleasanton School District began educating African American children in 1913 with the creation of the Abraham Lincoln School. By 1955, students from the Lincoln School and white students were participating in football workouts together and . . . — Map (db m56602) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4882 — Site of San Augustine Church
Between 1850 and 1860, Manuel, Enrique, and Francisco Esparza brought their families to settle in what is now Atascosa County. The brothers, along with their sister and mother, were within the walls of the Alamo when it fell to the Mexicans in March . . . — Map (db m56608) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 11697 — Verdi
By 1855, settlers primarily from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee, as well as some of Spanish origin, were making their homes in this area and calling themselves Lucas Community because of their proximity to Lucas . . . — Map (db m56611) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement