Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Plymouth, Michigan Historical Markers

 
Baker House National Historic Landmark Plaque image, Touch for more information
By Joel S.
Baker House National Historic Landmark Plaque
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — L0874 — Baker House
Henry W. Baker (1833-1920) built this Italianate style house in 1875. Born in Richmond, New York, Baker had moved to this area while still a boy. As a young man, he worked as a photographer, a merchant and a lumberman. At the age of forty-nine, he . . . — Map (db m33078) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — Gunsolly Carding Mill and the Rouge River's Rich History
For many years, wool was processed here. The Gunsolly Carding Mill operated here from 1851 to 1890, using Rouge River waterpower and machinery to process and untangle wool for spinning into yarn. Nearby villages of Plymouth and Newburgh . . . — Map (db m137012) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — Phoenix Mill Women in a Village Industry
Henry Ford wanted only women to work here in this small factory, built in 1922 as one of his Village Industries. The women workers built electrical parts such as voltage meters, light switches and generator cutouts (a form of relay) for . . . — Map (db m136821) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — 637 — Plymouth
The village of Plymouth was settled in 1825, incorporated in 1867, and became a city in 1932. The Lord Mayor of Plymouth, England, came here in 1967 to celebrate the centennial of Plymouth, Michigan's incorporation as a village. He and his aides . . . — Map (db m33098) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — Roadside Development and the Haggerty Comfort Station
This comfort station was one of the early public rest stops, and it was a prototype for roadside development. When originally constructed in 1937, this station had a full-time attendant, an information booth and concession stand. Wayne . . . — Map (db m136913) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — 18 — Rose of Aberlone Michigan Legal Milestone
T.C. Sherwood, president of Plymouth National Bank, contracted in 1886 with Hiram Walker of Walkerville, Ontario for the purchase of a cow, Rose 2d of Aberlone. Both parties believed that Rose was barren and would not breed, and that mistake led to . . . — Map (db m62359) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Conner Building
The name of Conner has been associated with this site since Plymouth's earliest days. In 1857, Michael Conner (1821-95) arrived in Plymouth and purchased the hardware business at this corner that had been started by C.H. Bennett. Conner replaced . . . — Map (db m136723) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Penniman Buildings
Most of this block of Main Street burned in 1857 and again in 1893. For this reason, this commercial block on Main Street is known as the Phoenix Block. These four buildings were erected after the 1893 fire, bearing the name "Penniman". Local . . . — Map (db m136749) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Plymouth United Savings Bank
This Classical Revival building, constructed of granite and limestone, was completed in 1920 as the new home of the Plymouth United Savings Bank. Established on May 13, 1890 as one of the first banks in the area, the first Board of Directors . . . — Map (db m136714) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Wilcox House
This is the site of a Plymouth Landmark, the Wilcox House, built in 1903 by William Markham, inventor of the BB Gun and the co-founder of the Daisy Air Rifle Co. George and Harriet Wilcox purchased it in 1911 and here raised their three children, . . . — Map (db m33070) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement