Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sedona, Arizona Historical Markers

 
Carl Richards' Garage Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, November 4, 2014
Carl Richards' Garage Marker
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Carl Richards' Garage
Carl Richards constructed this building in 1947 as his blacksmith shop. At the time, auto garage work was just a sideline. Richards is known as Sedona's first 'Fire Chief' because he kept the town's first fire truck in his garage. If there was a . . . — Map (db m78744) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 19 — Chapel of the Holy Cross, 1956 — City of Sedona Landmark No. 19 —
It took decades of searching for a perfect location before Marguerite Brunswig Staude's inspiring modern Catholic church could be built. The Chapel of the Holy Cross is an extraordinary architectural achievement, designed by architects Anshen & . . . — Map (db m94811) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 2 — Fruit Packing HouseCity of Sedona Landmark No. 2
In 1946, Walter Jordan's orchard business had expanded. This building was constructed to house an apple grading machine and other fruit packing operations. Walter Jordan operated the orchards until 1973. — Map (db m94848) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Hart Pump House
A designated Sedona Historic Landmark built in 1932 by the Civilian Conservation Corps — Map (db m94814) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Indian GardensHomesite of the First Settler in Oak Creek Canyon
In 1876 or 1877, Jim Thompson built a log cabin here and began cultivating the old Indian Gardens where the Indians had grown corn and squash long before Oak Creek was known to white men. Thompson remained here at his Indian Gardens Ranch until his . . . — Map (db m33203) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 1 — Jordan FarmhouseCity of Sedona Landmark No. 1
This home of Walter and Ruth Jordan began as a one-room cabin in 1931. It grew by three rooms in 1937, and grew in 1947 to its present size. It was opened as the Sedona Heritage Museum in 1998. It exemplifies early Sedona red rock construction. — Map (db m94846) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 5 — Jordan Sales BuildingCity of Sedona Landmark No. 5
Built circa 1938 by George Jordan as a co-op retail outlet for fruit produced and marketed by local orchard farmers, including George and his brother Walter. It was a key part in the early commercial development of Uptown Sedona and is a good . . . — Map (db m40921) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 3 — Jordan Tractor ShedCity of Sedona Landmark No. 3
Built in c1929 by Walter Jordan to house tractors and other farm implements for use in the Jordan Orchards. — Map (db m94847) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Orchards (1890 - 1970)
Fruit growing played a significant role in the early Sedona economy. Over time, settlers constructed ditches, flumes, pipelines, reservoirs, and water wheels to provide irrigation to their gardens and eventually to their larger orchards. Apples . . . — Map (db m54228) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 15 — Pushmataha, 1960City of Sedona Landmark No. 15
Harold and Christine Strohm built their Old-West style building and opened 'Museum, Et Cetera.' to showcase their collection of antiques. The Strohms named the building 'Pushmataha' after a Choctaw Chief. It means “He has won all the honors of . . . — Map (db m94831) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Rollie's Camera1948 — 297 Hwy 89A —
This was originally Bob Bradshaw's photo shop and living quarters. Bradshaw's photos appeared often in Arizona Highways, and he published several books of Arizona images. Bob was involved in Sedona's film-making business for 50 years. He sold . . . — Map (db m94834) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — No. 12 — The Hart Store, 1926
L.E. "Dad" Hart established Sedona's first real store in this building in 1926. The general store sold Oak Creek fruit and tourist supplies and was considered modern with gravity-drained gas pumps and the first commercial power in town. When the . . . — Map (db m33202) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 7 — USFS Range HouseCity of Sedona Landmark No. 7
This house was built in 1917 and was the home of the Sedona District Ranger, Jesse I. Bushnell. It continued to serve as living quarters until 1996, when the structure was converted to office space for the USFS Sedona Ranger District. — Map (db m94829) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Van Deren Ranch
Lee Van Deren, cattleman, arrived to put his children in the new Sedona school opened in 1910. Ranching was a major part of Sedona’s early economy. Round ups and cattle drives were a twice a year occurrence for ranchers when moving their herds from . . . — Map (db m54229) HM
Arizona (Yavapai), Sedona — The SinaguaHistoric Sedona
The earliest peoples arrived in the Verde Valley about 11,500 years ago. These early people practiced a hunting and gathering economy until approximately A.D. 1 when agriculture appeared. The Sinagua, whose Spanish name means "without water." . . . — Map (db m132998) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — A Canyon Retreat: Mayhew Lodge
A cool canyon sanctuary at the confluence of two creeks Mayhew Lodge, constructed of hand-smoothed logs and adorned with a towering rock chimney, was a rustic retreat attracting politicians, and movie stars. But this grand lodge had . . . — Map (db m99273) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — 12 — Cook's Cedar Glade CemeteryCity of Sedona Landmark No. 12
The first burial occurred on this site in 1918. Henry Elmer Cook established the cemetery in 1933 as part of his 160 acre homestead. Many members of Sedona pioneer families are buried here including the city's namesake, Sedona Schnebly. — Map (db m94833) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — CowboysHistoric Sedona
Cattle ranching and cowboys were a major part of early Sedona life. Cattle grazed mostly on Forest Service land via grazing permits. In the early days there were no fences or corrals so the stock mixed together for miles around. Summer range was up . . . — Map (db m133520) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early TourismHistoric Sedona
Soldiers from Camp Verde were early tourists to Sedona, enjoying the beauty, cooler temperatures and Oak Creek as a break from the camp.

As early as 1895, Lou Thomas turned Bear Howard’s cabin into a two-story hunting fishing lodge. It was . . . — Map (db m133684) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early UptownHistoric Sedona
In early times. Uptown Sedona was a patchwork of orchards, homestead and pastures. In the late 1930s, the Jordan’s built a stone building along the highway from which to sell their fruit to the increasing traveler traffic coming down the newly . . . — Map (db m133575) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Elvis Plays SedonaHistoric Sedona
By the time MGM came to Sedona to film “Stay Away Joe” in 1967, audiences had fallen in love with the Elvis Presley movie formula. This contemporary western comedy spotlighted Elvis and other such distinguished co-stars as Burgess . . . — Map (db m133568) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — First Assembly of GodHistoric Sedona
The Pentecostal Church of Sedona met in 1932 to discuss affiliating with the Assemblies of God – it was June 1933 before the congregation was informed that they had been officially recognized by the General Council. In 1930 Pastor James . . . — Map (db m133574) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — First SettlersHistoric Sedona
The first Anglo settler in Sedona was John James Thompson in 1876. He had the advantage of finding an abandoned Yavapai garden, still bearing crops, hence the name "Indian Gardens" in Oak Creek Canyon. Three years later, the family of Abraham James . . . — Map (db m133011) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Grasshopper FlatHistoric Sedona
It is said that the area now known as West Sedona was originally known as Copple Flat, named for B.F. Copple who was an early settler in Oak Creek Canyon. He arrived in 1875 but did not stay long. After he left the area, the flat became known for . . . — Map (db m133005) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Heart of SedonaHistoric Sedona
The original ‘heart’ of Sedona was the location of our first hotel, first post office, first school, first store, first church services, first patented homestead, and first institutional employer – the US Forest Service.

Near the town’s . . . — Map (db m133517) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Jessie "Bear" HowardHistoric Sedona
In California, conflicts between sheepherders and cattlemen were common. In a dispute, Jessie Jefferson Howard accidently killed a sheepherder. After turning himself in he was sent to San Quentin. Jessie was able to escape and came to Oak Creek . . . — Map (db m133515) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — John Wayne & His Sedona ConnectionHistoric Sedona
His first time as producer John Wayne was to also star in the film “Angel and the Badman”. He had been to Sedona to film his 1944 movie “Tall in the Saddle”. The owner of the local film outfitter and catering company invited . . . — Map (db m133680) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Little Horse Park/Chapel of the Holy CrossHistoric Sedona
Little Horse Park, now called the Chapel area, was originally a mixture of private and US Forest Service property. Lee Piper homestead there and Otto Hallermund held the Forest Service-issued grazing permit for the area – part of the Sedona . . . — Map (db m133690) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Movie ProductionsHistoric Sedona
The first film shot in the Sedona area was Call of the Canyon, based on Zane Grey’s novel of the same name. This 1923 silent film was shot on location in Oak Creek Canyon near the site of Mayhew’s Lodge, and exposed the scenic wonders of the red . . . — Map (db m133562) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — OrchardsHistoric Sedona
Sedona’s earliest permanent settlers planted fruit trees as they arrived along Oak Creek. Apples and peaches seemed to grow well along with apricots and plums. Grapevines didn’t take as long to mature as fruit trees so the Schuerman’s planted grapes . . . — Map (db m133679) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — RoadsHistoric Sedona
The Army's presence in Camp Verde contributed to settlement and roads in the Verde Valley area. A road came from Jerome to a stagecoach stop several miles south of town. West of the stop, a road crossed the creek and came into our area, not yet a . . . — Map (db m133025) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Fire & Police DepartmentsHistoric Sedona
In its' early days as a small, scattered and isolated settlement, Sedona had few emergency services.

In 1948 the Sedona School burned to the ground. This motivated the new Chamber of Commerce to start a "Firefight Fund". Sedona blacksmith and . . . — Map (db m133032) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Heritage MuseumHistoric Sedona
The Sedona Heritage Museum opened in 1998. It focuses on the history of the pioneer settlers of the greater Oak Creek area and those related historic themes that contributed to the settlement and development of Sedona.

The Museum is housed in . . . — Map (db m133693) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Historical SocietyHistoric Sedona
The Sedona Historical Society is a non-profit organization whose mission is to research, preserve and teach the history of the greater Sedona area. The Society plays an active and important role in local historic preservation and in displaying and . . . — Map (db m133688) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona SchneblyHistoric Sedona
By 1900, about 15 homesteading families called this area home. T.C. Schnebly was an enterprising young man who owned 80 acres, where his home also served as the area’s first hotel and general store. He saw a need for regular mail service, so . . . — Map (db m133570) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — The Artist of SedonaHistoric Sedona
The theme of arts and culture is a prominent one in Sedona for the period following World War II. Today, no city of its size in America has a finer arts pedigree than does Sedona. Home to both the Cowboy Artists of America and the Sedona Arts . . . — Map (db m133573) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — The First SchoolHistoric Sedona
The Sedona area’s earliest schools were built and run by residents without government support. The first school was a one-room building at the Schuerman property on Red Rock Loop Road in 1892. Olive Welch was the teacher and there were seven . . . — Map (db m133565) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Van Deren Cabin
This 43 acre parcel was originally homestead by Bill Fredericks, a local known for his "good whiskey." In 1924 he sold land to Earl Van Deren. Earl moved the north cabin from Sterling Canyon sometime between 1924 and 1929. Then in 1930 Van Deren . . . — Map (db m132975) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Wilson Mtn. TrailNational Recreational Trail
Richard Wilson was an old bear hunter who lived at Indian Gardens. In 1885 he was killed by a large grizzly bear in what is now known as Wilson Canyon. — Map (db m99272) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement