Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Thibodaux, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Acadia Plantation Marker image, Touch for more information
March 17, 2017
Acadia Plantation Marker
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Acadia Plantation
Originally named Acadie, the name was changed to Acadia in the 1830's. Once owned by Jim Bowie, the hero of the Alamo, whose family owned it from 1827 to 1831. The house was consolidated into one building from two Creole cottages and a shotgun . . . — Map (db m102046) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Allen Chapel AME Church
This first Negro church in Thibodaux was established in 1865 on Coulon Plantation and lated located on Green St. In 1942 the church building was moved to the present site. The first pastor was Rev. F. James. The church was responsible for the . . . — Map (db m85037) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Archibald Mackenzie
Born on Prince Edward Isl., Canada, Mackenzie graduated Queen's College, Kingston, Ontario, with two degrees. He then earned a doctorate with high honors in Divinity and Philosophy at Glasgow University, Scotland. After ordination in the Church of . . . — Map (db m114104) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Battle Of Lafourche CrossingJune 20-21, 1863
On the east side of Bayou Lafourche was fought the most important battle in Lafourche Parish during the War Between the States. On June 20 and June 21, 1863, units of the 23rd Connecticut Volunteers and 25th New York Battery, commanded by Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m85427) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — City of Thibodaux / Ville de Thibodaux
Side 1 City of Thibodaux Incorporated as a town on March 10, 1838. Early records show settlement existed in late 1790's as an important trading post for the Lafourche country. Named for Henri Schuyler Thibodaux (1769-1827), who . . . — Map (db m81071) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Confluence Of Bayous
Near hear was the prehistoric fork of Bayou Lafourche and Bayou Terrebonne. Acadians settled the area in 1785 and were joined by earlier French, German, Spanish and American settlers. The Village of Thibodauxville was started on the high banks of . . . — Map (db m81073) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Edward D. White House
Edward D. White House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1978 Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service . . . — Map (db m92664) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Fayette Clay Ewing
After his migration to Thibodaux from Kentucky in the early 1840s, Ewing practiced medicine with one of the founders of St. John's Episcopal Church, Dr. Thomas Williams. He took over Williams's practice upon the latter's death in 1849. In 1852, . . . — Map (db m113361) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Felix Grundy Winder
Born in Terrebonne Parish, Felix Grundy Winder was a member of a family originally from Tennessee. His mother, Martha Grundy, was a daughter of Felix Grundy, the distinguished Tennessee friend and political advisor of Andrew Jackson and Attorney . . . — Map (db m114170) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Francis Redding Tillou Nicholls
Born in 1834, in Donaldsonville, Francis Nicholls attended West Point but turned to the law. He established his own law practice in Napoleonville in the late 1850s before entering the Army of the Confederacy as a Captain during the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m114103) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Francis Tillou Nicholls1834-1912
Homesite of distinguished Confederate brigadier-general, twice governor of Louisiana 1877-80 and 1888-92; he was appointed Chief Justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court serving from 1892 until 1911. — Map (db m85466) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — George Seth Guion
Mississippi natives George Seth Guion and Caroline Lucretia Winder Guion moved to Thibodaux in 1831. Their Ridgefield Plantation included the land given to St. John,s Episcopal Church and Cemetery and the Guion Academy, two blocks away on Jackson . . . — Map (db m114082) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Georgiana Malvina Suthon
Born in 1850 in Assumption Parish to the Englishman Lucius Suthon and Assumption Parish native Manette Blanchard, Georgiana Suthon became an Episcopal missionary to Japan. Although she initially taught the bible in Tokyo, her eventual mastery of . . . — Map (db m114083) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — James Frost
From Uniontown, Pennsylvania, Frost migrated to Thibodaux in 1840, at the age of 26. He became one of the town's foremost building contractors and property owners. In 1842, Frost married Almira Ragan, a daughter of New York natives. In partnership . . . — Map (db m113374) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — James Mcallister
James Mcallister was born in 1809 in Kentucky and practiced law in New Orleans until moving to Thibodaux in 1838. He was elected as the city's first mayor, serving for one year, after which Mcallister became Parish Judge. In that capacity, he . . . — Map (db m112645) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — John A. Lovell
John A. Lovell worked initially on railroads and in the timber industry before entering into surveying. As a surveyor and engineer in Lafourche Parish during the first half of the 20th century, Lovell gained fame for his knowledge of the region's . . . — Map (db m114081) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — John Carlton Beatty
Born in 1808 in Mason County, Kentucky, Beatty and his first wife, Charlotte Reid, moved to Lafourche Parish early in life. He initially practiced medicine but became an attorney and politician, was one of the first Trustees of Thibodaux, and . . . — Map (db m112646) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — John Nelson & Andrew Jackson Donelson
Born in North Carolina in 1793, John Nelson was a veteran of the War of 1812 who moved to Tennessee and married Nancy Edwards of Davidson County in 1824. After her death, he migrated to Mississippi and married Maria Ann Robinson of Tennessee. He . . . — Map (db m114169) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Lafourche Parish Court House
The square of land upon which this antebellum structure stands was donated by Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, founder of the town. The present building, erected in circa 1860, replaced two earlier ones built in 1818 and 1846. At one time the front . . . — Map (db m81079) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Laurel Valley
A 1785 Spanish Land Grant to Acadian Etienne Boudreaux is part of the largest surviving 19th Century Plantation manufacturing complex in the United States. Over 70 structures, including a sugar house, school, general store and workers' cottages are . . . — Map (db m81067) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Leighton
. . . — Map (db m96940) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Leonidas Polk
Born April 10, 1806 in Raleigh North Carolina Died June 14, 1864 at Pine Mountain Georgia First Bishop of Louisiana 1841——1864 Organized Saint John's Church — Map (db m81142) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Leonidas Polk
Born in Raleigh, North Carolina, in 1806, Polk attended the University of North Carolina before receiving an appointment to West Point, from which he graduated in 1827. He soon resigned his commission, however, was ordained an Episcopal priest, and . . . — Map (db m113542) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Marcus Pennington Zills
During the renovation of St. John's Episcopal Church in 1856, a bell was installed in the new steeple which was built upon the church front. Made in Troy,New York, at Meneelys Foundry, and paid for by funds left by Marcus P. Zills, the bell is . . . — Map (db m112711) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Mary King Fulford
Mary King Fulford was a childhood sweetheart of U.S. Grant in Georgetown, Ohio. After her marriage to John D. Fulford, they moved to Memphis, then in 1845 to Thibodaux. She cared for seven children, of whom several died in childhood, and played a . . . — Map (db m113377) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Morgan Springer
Born in 1814 in Fayette County, PA, to Zedoc and Eleanor Springer, Morgan flat-boated down the Mississippi River with James Frost, a friend, around 1840. A master carpenter, he soon acquired a lot on Jackson Street in Thibodaux. Frost and Springer . . . — Map (db m112698) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Moses, Allen Chapel, Calvary Cemeteries
Established in 1880, this is one of the earliest African-American cemeteries in Thibodaux. It serves three church congregations: Moses Baptist Church, Allen Chapel AME Church , Calvary Methodist Church. — Map (db m92135) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Our Confederate Dead1861-1865
Side A We care not whence they came Dear is their lifeless clay Whether unknown or known to fame Their cause and country still the same They died and wore Gray. Side B In memory of the thirty-nine members of Co. A. 2nd . . . — Map (db m94473) HM WM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Philip Sargent Armitage
A son of a prominent Thibodaux merchant and a founder of St. John's Episcopal Church, Charles Armitage, Philip Armitage lived at the family home of the same name, om the Terrebonne Road south of Thibodaux. Possibly designed by one of Louisiana's . . . — Map (db m114105) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Rev. Daniel McNair
Reverend Daniel McNair founded the Presbyterian Church of Thibodaux on June 6, 1847. It was the first Presbyterian congregation established west of the Mississippi River. A North Carolina native born in 1806, he was assigned to preach in the . . . — Map (db m112695) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Richard Henry Allen
Richard Henry Allen was born in 1807, in Wilkes County, North Carolina. Following a career as a merchant in Yazoo City, Mississippi, in 1840 he moved to New Orleans and became a cotton factor. In 1859, Allen retired to Thibodaux, entered sugar cane . . . — Map (db m114080) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Rienzi Plantation House
This house is believed to have been built by William Fields or Henry Johnson between 1815 and 1835 Johnson eventually purchased several small tracts to form the huge sugar-producing plantation. Other significant owners were Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, . . . — Map (db m81072) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Saint Joseph Church
The mother church of Parishes in Lafourche, Terrebonne, St. Mary and lower Assumption was incorporated in 1817. Priests served the area from Assumption Church, Plattenville, until 1822 when Fr. Antoine Potini (1822-1827) became first resident . . . — Map (db m97064) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Silas T. Grisamore
Silas Grisamore arrived by steamboat from his native southern Indiana in the mid 1840s. He taught school in Assumption Parish, sold goods from flatboats on Bayou Lafourche, and eventually became a merchant in Thibodaux. During the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m114078) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Site of Mount Carmel Academy1855-1965
In 1855, Father Charles M. Menard, venerable pastor of St. Joseph Church, foreseeing the need for Catholic education of Thibodaux youth, purchased land and built a school for girls on this site. The Sisters of Mt. Carmel bought the . . . — Map (db m81069) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. Charles Borromeo Church
In 1874 Fr. Charles Menard purchased land from Vasseur Bourgeois on the Hwy 1 side of the bayou to establish a church-school mission for the Community of St. Charles. The Sisters of Mt. Carmel staffed the school offering classes in French and . . . — Map (db m81068) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. John's Episcopal Church
One of the oldest Episcopal churches in the Mississippi Valley. Parish organized in 1843. Cornerstone laid in January 1844. Consecrated in March of same year by Bishop Leonoidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana. — Map (db m81077) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. John's Historic Cemetery
Once part of Ridgefield Plantation, the land for the Church and Cemetery fronted on the Terrebonne Road - now Jackson Street - connecting Bayous Lafourche and Terrebonne. An entire block was donated in the early 1840s by George Seth and Caroline . . . — Map (db m112696) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. Joseph Cemetery
This cemetery was established in circa 1817 on the site of the original St. Joseph Church, a mission of Assumption. The Calvary - Grotto Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes, erected in 1883 still stands near the Menard Street entrance. Several historic . . . — Map (db m81070) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. Joseph Co-Cathedral
St. Joseph Church Parish was founded in 1817 as a mission. In 1819 a church was erected on Bayou LaFourche adjacent to the present cemetery. A brick church was built in 1849 under the direction of Fr. Charles Menard. This structure stood until 1916 . . . — Map (db m85468) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — The St. Joseph Cemetery Calvary-Grotto Shrine
Dating back to 1883, the Calvary-Grotto Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes is one of the Historic Places in Thibodaux that remain in constant use to this day. In 1865, with the Grotto in mind, Rev. Charles Menard, Pastor of St. Joseph Catholic . . . — Map (db m85765) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Whitmell Pugh Martin
Whitmell Martin, a native of Assumption Parish, was initially a chemist who studied and practiced law. After he served as superintendent of Lafourche Parish schools from 1894-1900, he was a District Attorney and eventually Judge for the 20th . . . — Map (db m114135) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — William Alexander Shaffer
William Alexander Shaffer was born in Winnsboro, South Carolina, in 1796. His father migrated to the United States from Prussia. Shaffer settled in Louisiana, on Little Bayou Black, Terrebonne Parish, in 1835. He obtained a United States land . . . — Map (db m114084) HM

43 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.