Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Beaver County Utah Historical Markers

 
Beaver Opera House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, June 16, 2014
Beaver Opera House Marker
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-404 — Beaver Opera House
On Center Street, on the left when traveling east.
The Beaver Opera House, built between 1908 and 1909, helped mark the beginning of the local citizens’ desire to build a “New Beaver” that would be the envy of other communities. The board of directors of the opera house were quoted as . . . — Map (db m1429) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-603 — Beaver Relief Society HallUtah Historic Site
On North 100 East Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1896, the Beaver Relief Society Hall is one of only two buildings in Beaver associated with the Relief Society, the organization for women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The building was used for general gathering . . . — Map (db m75580) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 64 — Beaver Stake Tabernacle
On South Main Street south of Center Street, on the right when traveling south.
On this site in 1865-66 a tabernacle was erected by the pioneers. Built of local brick, lumber and stone. It was of pioneer architecture with a large assembly hall, gallery, full basement, a tower and large bell. This building was used for church . . . — Map (db m75614) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 570 — Beaver Territorial Courthouse
On East Center Street at South 100 East Street, on the right when traveling east on East Center Street.
Beaver Territorial Courthouse is considered one of the finest examples of Pioneer architecture. The architect, K.A. Kletting, designed the building in the Queen Ann style with Victorian overtones. The courthouse was constructed under the direction . . . — Map (db m75581) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Early Sawed Log Farm Cabin(circa 1890-1900)
On East Center Street (Utah Route 21) east of Main Street (Utah Route 160), on the right when traveling east.
This early sawed log farm cabin (circa 1890-1900) was relocated to this site from the small hamlet of Manderfield located 5 miles north of Beaver. Manderfield was known as Indian Creek in pioneer days. The Beaver Chapter of the sons of The Utah . . . — Map (db m127201) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Enoch E. Cowdell HouseUtah Historic Site
On North 400 West Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Enoch E. Cowdell house, named after the original owner, was constructed around 1873 with a hall parlor type floor plan. Although the hall parlor was one of the earliest housing types in Utah, it continued to be a popular floor plan (particularly . . . — Map (db m75572) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 67 — Fort Cameron(Located 2 miles east)
On North Main Street at 200 North Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
Established as the post of Beaver, May 15, 1872, by the 8th U.S. Infantry, Major John D. Wilkins, commanding. The military reservation, declared May 12, 1873, comprised two and two-thirds square miles. The name was changed July 1, 1874, to Fort . . . — Map (db m75575) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 327 — Fort Cameron - Murdock Academy
On Utah Route 153, on the left when traveling east.
In 1872-73 a two and two-thirds mile square, protective military reservation was established following the request of C.M. Hawley, Associate Justice, Utah Territory. Built of native rock and lumber, it received 250 troops Sept. 7, 1873, Major John . . . — Map (db m75578) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Beaver-1 — Grimshaw HomeUtah Historic Homes
On North 400 West Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built By: Duckworth Grimshaw, 1877 Registered By: The Harley Fotheringhams, 1/12/72 Construction Notes Original Portion Built of Black Volcanic Rock — Map (db m75574) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Joseph Tattersall HouseUtah Historic Site
On North 400 West Street, on the right when traveling south.
The house was built c. 1877 for Joseph Tattersall, an early settler of Beaver City. It is a one-and-a-half-story tall building constructed of black rock--a hard, dense volcanic stone that is commonly found in the nearby foothills in small . . . — Map (db m75573) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 68 — Lee’s Ranch Indian Raid
On Main Street (U.S. 91), on the left when traveling south.
Hostile Indians raided a small settlement in this vicinity Oct. 27, 1866, centering their attack on the house where Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Lee, their two daughters, and eight year old son, a young Miss Hall and Joseph Lillywhite were barricaded, fighting . . . — Map (db m75616) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Philo T. Farnsworth
On Center Street, on the right when traveling east.
Philo Taylor Farnsworth was born August 19, 1906 in a log cabin near Beaver, Utah. At an early age, he became familiar with the various components of the telephone and the gramaphone. By age 12, he had a thorough understanding of electronics. In . . . — Map (db m1421) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 147 — Pioneer First Camp Ground
On South Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Near this site, Feb. 6, 1856, in zero weather, Beaver pioneers made their first camp. Prior to this, the land had been rejected as unfit for cultivation, but the amount of water available gave courage. At a mass meeting in Parowan some of the more . . . — Map (db m75615) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Pioneer Park
On North 400 East Street south of East 400 North Street, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated to the memory of the valiant pioneers who erected the first woolen mills in Southern Utah in 1870. It was a busy mecca, with wagons coming and going from all over the State with their goods to trade. — Map (db m75576) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 31 — The Beaver Woolen Mills(Incorporated 1869)
On North 400 East Street south of East 400 North Street, on the right when traveling north.
On this site in 1870, in a three story building, 60 x 120 feet, the first Woolen Mills in Southern Utah operated. Machinery was brought here from New England by railroad and wagon. John Ashworth and others schooled in England in the art of wool . . . — Map (db m75577) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-211 — Thomas Frazer HouseUtah Historic Site
On North 300 West Street, on the right when traveling north.
This house was constructed in three sections by Thomas Frazer, the local stonemason, as his own home. The middle section (1870) and the east section (1872) are built of black basalt. The west section (c. 1890) is constructed of pink tuf. Thomas . . . — Map (db m75570) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Cove Fort — 6 — Cove Fort
Near Utah Route 161 1 mile north of Interstate 70.
Completed April 12, 1867, by direction of Brigham Young, with L.D.S. Church funds, as a travelers way station and refuge from Indians. Ira N. Hinckley built and maintained it as a hostelry and residence until 1877. A well within the fort provided . . . — Map (db m75519) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Cove Fort — Fort WilldenA Farm and Way Station
Near Utah Route 164 1 mile north of Interstate 70.
The first settlers in this area were the family of Charles W. and Eleanor Willden. They were English converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who had come to Utah in 1849. Because Charles was an iron worker, Brigham Young called . . . — Map (db m75518) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Frisco — 268 — Frisco
On Ely Highway (Utah Route 21), on the left when traveling north.
A typical mining town at the foot of the San Francisco Mountain was fed by the fabulously rich Horn Silver Mine. By 1885 over $60,000,000 in zinc, copper, lead, silver, and gold were hauled away by mule train and the Utah Central Railroad. Water was . . . — Map (db m78264) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement