Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Ohio

4654 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 4454
 
Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society Marker image, Touch for more information
By John Swank, September 15, 2012
Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society Marker
Ohio (Adams County), Bentonville — 10-1 — Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society
Originally a vigilante group, the Anti-Horse Thief Society was formed here in March 1853 by area landowners to recover stolen horses and prosecute the thieves. Horse theft was a serious offense in the antebellum era. Trustees nominated a captain and . . . — Map (db m59584) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Cherry Fork — 3-1 — Covenanter Church — 1804
In 1804, a group of Scotch-Irish Covenanters from Rockbridge County, Virginia, erected a log church on this location. In 1805, they organized the Cherry Fork Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. Two brick churches were also built on this . . . — Map (db m133853) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Locust Grove — 14 — Locust Grove — Abandoned to the Rebels — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On the night of July 15, 1863, Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Confederate raiders set up camp along a seven-mile stretch between the villages of Jacksonville and Locust Grove. The following morning, General Morgan rode into Locust . . . — Map (db m108260) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — Buckeye Station
One half mile north of this monument the home of Gen. Nathaniel Massie, founder of Manchester in 1791, first settlement in the Virginia Military District. Residence of Charles Willing Byrd, Secretary and Acting Governor, Northwest Territory and . . . — Map (db m45344) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 13-1 — Israel Donalson / Manchester Founders Cemetery — Member of the First Constitutional Convention of Ohio / 1791-1888
Israel Donalson, member of the First Constitutional Convention of Ohio. In May 1800, Congress passed an act building the Northwest Territory, with the western division becoming Indiana Territory and the eastern called the Territory of the . . . — Map (db m136539) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 17-1 — Manchester
Manchester was founded in 1791 by Nathaniel Massie as a base to survey the land warrants of American Revolutionary War soldiers in the Virginia Military District. This bank of the Ohio River provided a secure site for the last civilian stockade . . . — Map (db m136536) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 11-1 — Manchester, Ohio — First Settlement, Virginia Military District
In 1784, the state of Virginia ceded all of its Northwest Territory to the federal government except for this tract to satisfy the land bounties owed to its Revolutionary War soldiers. The Virginia Military District extended from the Scioto River . . . — Map (db m136532) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Manchester — 4-1 — Massie’s Station — 1791
Massie’s Station, built in 1791, was the fourth permanent settlement center in Ohio and the last stockade settlement built in Ohio. It provided protection from the Indians for Manchester’s settlers until 1794. Manchester was . . . — Map (db m136537) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 1-5 — Adams County Mineral Springs
Medicinal value of springs promoted by Charles Matheny, 1840. First hotel built 1864 and resort named Sodaville. Under ownership of General Benjamin Coates, 1888–91, Smith Grimes 1891–08, and J. W. Rogers 1908–20. Mineral Springs . . . — Map (db m132963) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — Cairn of Peace
First plaque Cairn of Peace dedicated at World’s Conservation Exposition and 5th World Plowing Contest September 19- 20, 1957

Second plaque These competitors were in the World Plowing Matches Peebles, Ohio . . . — Map (db m121814) HM

Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 6-1 — Peebles
Platted in 1881 by Isaiah Custer on the junction of old Zane's Trace (1796-97) and the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881). Incorporated 1886. Named after John G. Peebles, Portsmouth, Ohio businessman. David Nixon constructed the first house in town . . . — Map (db m108198) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 15-1 — Serpent Mound
One of North America’s most spectacular effigy mounds, Serpent Mound is a gigantic earthen sculpture representative of a snake. Built on a spur of rock overlooking Ohio Brush Creek around 1000 A.D. by the Fort Ancient culture, the earthwork . . . — Map (db m135289) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 2-1 — Wickerham Inn — 1800-01
The inn was built 1800-01 by Peter Wickerham, a Revolutionary War veteran. It was used as an overnight stagecoach stop and tavern on Zane's Trace until ca. 1850. Runaway slaves were hidden here when the "Underground Railroad" was in operation. . . . — Map (db m108129) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Rome — 8-1 — Rome — (Stout Post Office)
A thriving riverport in the 19th Century founded in 1835 by William Stout. Elisha Stout, son of William, born and raised here, was one of the founding fathers of Omaha, Nebraska and Denver, Colorado. Former site of Adamsville which served as the . . . — Map (db m73138) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Seaman — 7-1 — Seaman
Founded 1887 by John Q. Roads on the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881) and the Old West Union Road (1807). Incorporated 1911. Named after Franklin Seaman who donated land to the railroad for a station. Home of Will Rogers, "The Black King of the . . . — Map (db m108200) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — Adams County Heritage Center
This structure erected 1835 as Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. Congregation organized in 1812. Many members active participants in Underground Railroad. Church closed 1894. Oscar C. Roebuck operated mortuary here 1909 ’till 1936. Then used . . . — Map (db m135304) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 1-1 — Bradford Tavern — 1804
The Bradford Tavern, West Union’s first inn built circa 1804, served the Maysville-Zanesville stagecoach route and such travelers as Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and Santa Anna. After 1840, it was continued as the Marlatt House and, later, the . . . — Map (db m135307) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 18-1 — Cowboy Copas / The Oklahoma Cowboy
Country music writer and recording star Lloyd Estel Copas was born on July 15, 1913 on Moon Hollow near Blue Creek in Adams County, Ohio. Reared by musical parents, he learned to play the guitar and fiddle at an early age and began a singing . . . — Map (db m135306) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 12-1 / 115 — First Presbyterian Church — Thomas Kirker — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
side A First Presbyterian Church The First Presbyterian Church of West Union, built in 1810, is known as the "Church of the Governors." Although the date is uncertain, the congregation was organized circa 1800 on Thomas Kirker's land on . . . — Map (db m122227) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 14-1 — Lafferty Funeral Collection
The William Lafferty Memorial Funeral and Carriage Collection shows the development of the funeral business since the mid-1800s through an exhibit of caskets, funeral clothing, and hearses collected and preserved by James William . . . — Map (db m135347) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 19-1 — Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer
A short distance south of Zane’s Trace, West Union was established by an act of the Ohio Legislature on April 13, 1803, as the seat of Adams County. West Union was surveyed in the spring of the following year, and became important stagecoach . . . — Map (db m135312) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 16-1 — West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham
Members of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church settled in Adams County as early as 1797. The West Union congregation was organized in 1812, and a lot was purchased for the construction of a public house of worship. This brick church, . . . — Map (db m135303) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — Zane Trace — Treber Inn — Asahel Eddington —
Ohio’s first highway and mail route authorized by Congress 1796 marked and cleared in 1797 by Col. Ebenezer Zane a blazed trail, it became the route of the old stage line from Maysville to Wheeling used by noted statesmen to and from the . . . — Map (db m121836) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Winchester — 13 — Winchester — Capturing the Daily Stagecoach — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his raiders galloped into Winchester about 8:30 am on July 15, 1863. The rebels immediately began searching businesses and private residences for firearms, food, horses and anything else that . . . — Map (db m108236) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Winchester — 9-1 — Winchester, Ohio – 1815 / Morgan’s Raid – 1863
Winchester, Ohio. Founded November 8, 1815 by General Joseph Darlinton and named for his Virginia birthplace. Winchester was incorporated in 1864 and later became the eastern terminus of the Cincinnati and Eastern Railway (1877-1880). The . . . — Map (db m133890) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Beaverdam — Beaverdam & Vicinity World War II Memorial — Liberty
Dedicated to those from Beaverdam & vicinity who served their country in the war for the liberty of the world 1941 - 1945 To honor all men and women of this community who nobly served their country in World War II and in memory of . . . — Map (db m29927) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Cridersville — Mary Shafer
. . . — Map (db m100183) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Delphos — Miami and Erie Canal — Lock 24 — Ohio Dept. Natural Resources, Division of Water —
Ohio Dept. Natural Resources Division of Water Miami and Erie Canal Lock 24 <- .4 mile to Jennings Creek .8 mile Lock 23 -> — Map (db m29666) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Delphos — Miami and Erie Canal / Delphos — Anthony Wayne Parkway
[West Side of Marker]: Miami and Erie Canal This marker is on the right-of-way of the old Miami and Erie Canal. Gov. DeWitt Clinton of New York broke ground for the canal on July 21, 1825 just below Middletown. Built in sections, the . . . — Map (db m30160) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Gomer — 1833 Gomer, Ohio — A Welsh Settlement
(red Welsh dragon logo) A village settled by Watkins, Roberts, and Nicholas families, bringing with them their Welsh traditions and establishing a community in honor of their native land. — Map (db m94555) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Gomer — Lincoln Highway — Historical Bridge
This historical bridge was built on this site in 1927 by the Allen County Engineers office. When opened, it carried the Delphos-Upper Sandusky Road, U.S. Route 30, commonly referred to as the Lincoln Highway, over the Ottawa River and served as an . . . — Map (db m78696) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Gomer — Snow Cruiser Crash Site
On October 28, 1939, while being driven to Boston, Admiral Richard Byrd's polar exploration vehicle ran off the Lincoln Highway and crashed into Pike Run, drawing large crowds and putting Gomer in the national spotlight. — Map (db m78695) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Harrod — 1905 Shay Engine — Serial No. 1568
Built at the Lima Locomotive Works Lima, Ohio for Tioga Lumber Company Nicholas County, West Virginia Purchased by the Auglaize Township Historical Society in 1996 — Map (db m29730) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Harrod — Harrod Veterans Memorial Park — The Price of Freedom
[Front] Dedicated to the memory of all veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States of America, who unselfishly served their country in time of peace or war. It is because of this effort that we enjoy the freedom that is ours . . . — Map (db m29732) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Harrod — USS Texas (CGN 39)
(logo of ship) USS Texas (CGN 39) The USS Texas (CGN 39) was built by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drtdock Company and was commissioned September 10, 1977 The ship had an overall length of 585’ with an extreme beam of 63’. A crew of 575 . . . — Map (db m94569) WM
Ohio (Allen County), Harrod — Workman's Crew Caboose
This caboose spent most of its working years in Lima and northwest Ohio and was renovated by the Auglaize Township Historical Society in 1994 — Map (db m29723) HM
Ohio (Allen County), LaFayette — LaFayette - Jackson Township Civil War Memorial — and Veterans Memorial Garden
Erected 1903 by the Citizens of Jackson Tp. and Dedicated to the Memory of her soldiers of 1861. - 1865. [Grand Army of the Republic emblem] Ah! never shall the land forget. How flowed the life blood of her brave Gushed warm . . . — Map (db m29718) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lafayette — 2-4 — McKee's Hill
Following the American Revolution, the British Crown sought to retain possession of the Ohio Country by sending chief British Indian Agent Alexander McKee and others to establish trading posts with Native Americans and resist American settlement. . . . — Map (db m28686) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lafayette — P-39 Airacobra Crash Site — March 18, 1942
On March 18, 1942, four U.S. Army Air Corps pilots lost their lives within a quarter mile of this marker. Three months after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, these pilots left Wayne County Airport near Detroit flying P-39F Airacobra pursuit planes. They . . . — Map (db m80889) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lafayette — Veterans Monument / Memorial Garden
(side 1) Veterans Monument This Civil War monument was erected in 1903 to honor LaFayette-Jackson Township's Civil War soldiers. Over the course of the twentieth century, it became the focal point of the annual Memorial Day . . . — Map (db m114652) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County Veterans Memorial
A tribute to honor those who served our country in the armed forces — Map (db m22927) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County, Ohio
Allen County was originally Indian territory not opened for settlement until 1817, and was formally surveyed in 1820. County government was organized in 1831 and with the improvement of roads, settlers came and established communities in every part . . . — Map (db m22930) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County’s First Settlement — The Sugar Creek Settlement
Here arriving from Logan County in 1824, Christopher Stark Wood estab- lished on Sugar Creek, the first settlement in what is now Allen County. His family and others joined him soon. Land was cleared; cabins were built. After only five years, . . . — Map (db m80276) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Circular Street
This street follows the course of an Old Indian Trail that joined the Tawa Indian town on the Auglaize River to the Black Swamp Trail near Lafayette. At one time, this corner was the junction of Three Early Roads, Wapakoneta Rd. - Main St. - . . . — Map (db m63077) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — D T & I Railroad's Uniopolis, Ohio, Station — Lincoln Park Train Exhibit
In 1964, the Detroit, Toledo, and Ironton Railroad donated an equipped station to the Lincoln Park Railroad Exhibit. The depot behind you was moved from its original location at Uniopolis, Ohio ten miles to the south. It came complete with signal . . . — Map (db m29714) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — East Cemetery
Former location of East Cemetery relocated in 1996 to Greenlawn Cemetery American Township.

In 1832 John East of Pickaway County came to Allen County with his wife, Elizabeth Huffer, and family Mary, Isaac, Abraham, Elizabeth, and Samuel. He . . . — Map (db m105378) HM

Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 2-5 — Faurot Oil Well
In 1885, 800 feet north of this marker, Benjamin Faurot struck oil after drilling into the Trenton Rock Limestone formation at a depth of 1,251 feet. This event marked the beginning of the great Oil Boom of northwest Ohio. The ensuing rush brought . . . — Map (db m22931) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Faurot Opera House
Faurot Opera House 1882-1953 Built on this site by Benjamin C. Faurot, one of Lima's most prominent citizens. The grand opening was held Sept. 4, 1882. Through the years, many famous actors, actresses, and musicians appeared on it's stage. The . . . — Map (db m93083) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Founders and Patriots of Allen County, Ohio — Ohio Sesquicentennial marker
In honor of those founders and patriots of the northwest territory who settled in Ohio and Allen County 1803 Ohio Sesquicentennial 1953 — Map (db m77680) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Historic House
Erected in 1852 of handsome bricks, this house, still occupied in 1976, is one of Lima's oldest landmarks. Situated on part of Outlot No. Two of the original city addition, the residence now fronts Central Ave., known as Tanner Ave., before 1897. . . . — Map (db m29884) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — In Memory of Chief P-H-T and the Hawg Creek Shawnee
In memory of PHT and the Hawg Creek Shawnee. This area was their home until the 1830's when they were forcibly removed by the U.S. government. Some stayed and their descendants live here to this day. Chief PHT died before the removal and was buried . . . — Map (db m79664) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — James Daniel's Cabin — 1828
Built near this site, the cabin of this pioneer Allen County Commissioner was used for the first meetings of the Bath Township Trustees in 1829 and of the Allen County Commissioners June 6, 1831. Daniel's land adjoined the original 160 acre . . . — Map (db m29874) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Johnny Appleseed Tree
This tree has sprouted from the roots of a tree planted by John Chapman around 1830. — Map (db m78884) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Korean War Memorial
The Korean War June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953 ————————— To honor those who fought and died to secure the freedom of the People of South Korea Forgotten Nevermore by . . . — Map (db m22929) WM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 1-2 — Lima Locomotive Works
One of America's largest steam locomotive builders, the Lima Locomotive Works, built 7,752 locomotives between 1879 and 1951. It rose to success building the patented Shay geared locomotive, an innovative design that became the standard for . . . — Map (db m22935) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — NKP Berkshire Locomotive No. 779
Locomotive No. 779, built by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1949, is the last steam locomotive manufactured in Lima. As a “Berkshire-type”, it represents the most advanced development of steam power. The Nickel Plate Railroad had a total . . . — Map (db m29715) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — NKP Caboose No. 1091
Caboose No. 1091 was built in 1882 by the Lafayette Car Works of Lafayette, IN. It has been completely restored and equipped by the Allen County Historical Society. Although much of the structure has been replaced during its years of service, the . . . — Map (db m29716) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Ohio's First Electric Street Car Line
Ohio's first electric Street Car Line and one of the first in the U.S. Began operation in Lima, Ohio July 4, 1887. Operated by B.C. Faurot as the Lima Street Rail- way and Power Co. This line served the city . . . — Map (db m79481) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 6-2 — Servicemen's Free Canteen
The Lima Chapter of the American Women's Voluntary Services Organization established a community-based, free canteen during World War II for troops traveling on the Pennsylvania Railroad and adjacent Baltimore & Ohio-Nickel Plate Railroads. Meeting . . . — Map (db m22951) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Sharp School Bell
This original alloy steel school bell rang for the children attending the Sharp School located on Delong Road. The Sharp School was built in 1870 and was one of eleven one-room school houses in Shawnee Township by 1874. In 1926, ten of the schools . . . — Map (db m119972) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Shawnee Council House — Headquarters of Shawnee Indian Reservation
(AAA logo) Headquarters of the Shawnee Indian Reservation Shawnee Indian Council House located 250 feet east — Map (db m77682) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Shawnee Council House
In 1831, the Shawnee Indians built a 20 x 30 ft. hewed-log council house within their Hog Creek Settlement. It was located about 270 ft. east of this marker. After the Indians’ forced exodus west, it served as a temporary dwelling for the Griffith . . . — Map (db m100742) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Shawnee Indian Reservation / U.S. Military Reserve
Shawnee Indian Reservation 1817-1831 Established by treaty with the Shawnee Indians September 29, 1817, following the War of 1812. This 25 square mile reservation which adjoined the United States military reserve, was occupied by the . . . — Map (db m100957) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Site Of Lima's First Cemetery — and burial place of Pvt. Elijah Stites 1758-1843
Site of Lima's First cemetery and burial place of Pvt. Elijah Stites 1758-1843 Minute Man of the Revolution who served in the Essex County Militia 1st Regiment New Jersey. — Map (db m93047) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 3-2 — Solar Refinery
Side A: Oil became a valuable resource in Ohio when significant quantities were discovered in Lima in 1885. The discovery brought an economic boom to Lima and northwest Ohio. News of the Lima oil field spread, attracting the attention of John D. . . . — Map (db m22961) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Henry Boose Site
In 1959 this area was discovered to be an almost four thousand year old burial ground of the Glacial Kame People-named for the distinctive gravel elevations in which their dead were buried. The area was once a farm owned by Henry Boose, an early . . . — Map (db m78679) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Hog Creek Settlement — Ward Cemetery — Pioneers in Allen County, Ohio —
Ward Cemetery Burial Site in the fall of 1825, Samuel McCluer built a log cabin near this site and began the arduous task of clearing away the dense forest for farming. Not until the following summer did he learn from hunters, who . . . — Map (db m80275) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 2-2 — The Interurban Era
In 1910, the Ohio Electric Railway Company opened this terminal, formerly the Interurban Building, which served interurban passengers until 1937. Along with offices, it contained space for express and baggage handling, ticket windows, a newsstand, . . . — Map (db m22934) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Old Bell
Cast in Cincinnati about 1840, this bell was brought to Lima by way of the Miami Erie Canal and horse drawn wagon, and placed in Allen County's 1842 Courthouse. It rang the hour, announced births and deaths, called citizens to church and town . . . — Map (db m22936) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Shawnee Indian Reservation
Northeast corner of The Shawnee Indian Reservation of 25 square miles in present-day Shawnee Township. Home of the Hog Creek Shawnees from 1817 to their removal to Kansas in 1833. Granted to the Shawnees by treaty September 29, 1817. . . . — Map (db m63069) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Veterans Freedom Flag Monument
The Veterans Freedom Flag Monument dedicated May 22, 2010 to Veterans who made the sacrifice for freedom around the world, those who currently serve in the military and those who will serve in the future. Built entirely through the donations of . . . — Map (db m63076) WM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — West Market Street Boulevard Historic District
West Market Street Boulevard Historic District placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m99499) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Fort Amanda
Erected by order of General William H. Harrison in October 1812 and became an important depository of army stores during the war. — Map (db m19821) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Miami & Erie Canal Deep Cut / Miami & Erie Canal — Anthony Wayne Parkway
Miami & Erie Canal, Deep Cut You are on that section of the Miami and Erie Canal where the greatest excavation was made – a section that has been known over the years as “Deep Cut.” The huge ditch, 6,600 feet long and 5 to . . . — Map (db m22848) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Miami – Erie Canal — Lock 15
Miami – Erie Canal From 1845 to about 1906 barges pulled by horses provided transportation from the Ohio River to Lake Erie through a system of locks which raised or lowered boats to the next level of the canal. Locks often became . . . — Map (db m22933) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Site of the 86 Acre Homestead of Dye Sunderland
Site of the 86 acre homestead of Dye Sunderland who served in Captain Samuel McCormick's Company of The War of 1812 Here in 1820, on the site of the Indian town of Tawa the Sunderland family established the First Permanent Home in . . . — Map (db m91455) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Spencerville Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to our country’s defenders, erected by our patriotic people

1861- 1865 1898- 1902 1917- 1918 1941- 1945 (GAR logo) (Red Cross logo) (American Legion logo) (Spanish American Veteran Medal logo) 1921 (wreath logo) . . . — Map (db m95006) WM

Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Tawa Town
The headwaters of the Auglaize are just south of you. You are on the old Auglaize-Miami portage trail, the most direct canoe route between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Here, long before white men arrived and until 1817, was an Indian settlement -- . . . — Map (db m20080) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville, Ohio — "Johnny Appleseed"
In 1829 "Johnny Appleseed" planted an apple nursery 900 feet east of here on a half acre of Jacob Harter;s land leased for forty years in exchange for forty apple trees delivered in 1835. — Map (db m77201) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville, Ohio — The Town of Hartford
Do you see the little cemetery to the east, high on the west bank of the Auglaize? It's all that remains of Hartford, thriving town in the 1830's with, it was expected, a bright future, since the new Miami and Erie Canal would one day be serving it- . . . — Map (db m80158) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Courthouse Bell
This bell was hung in the old court house in 1853 and for 75 years served Ashland County truly & well. It's vibrant tones rang out the news of Lee's surrender, tolled the passing of the immortal Lincoln, pealed forth the victory of Admiral Dewey, . . . — Map (db m25829) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Pioneer Memorial
To the heroic pioneers who braved the perils of the pathless wilderness to establish homes for their loved ones, and who laid the foundation of our commonwealth so broad and deep in this their new homeland that their descendants might freely enjoy . . . — Map (db m25832) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
. . . — Map (db m25833) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m25808) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Veterans Memorial Bridge
To the patriotic men and women of Ashland County who served their country in time of need — Map (db m25831) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County World War Memorial
To the World War veterans in memory of their deceased comrades and those who remain to serve — Map (db m25834) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — 5- 3 — Founding of Ashland College / Ashland Eagles Tradition
Founding of Ashland College The dream of establishing a college was born in the hearts of members of the German Brethren Church. In March 1877, a meeting was held at the Maple Grove Brethren Church to discuss the establishment of a college in . . . — Map (db m97072) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Freer Civil War Memorial
Erected by Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Freer to the memory of Our Dead Soldiers — Map (db m25809) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Jones Memorial Terrace
Erected in 1957 by George and Jessie Jones in loving memory of their son, Earl E. Jones, Ashland College student 1920-21, who died in 1921. This terrace is dedicated to the pleasurable growth and development of the young people who attend . . . — Map (db m25836) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Studebaker
. . . — Map (db m37726) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Hayesville — 1-3 — Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House
This building was a center of community life from the time of its construction in 1886 to the late 1930s. Once common, such combinations of governmental offices and commercial and entertainment space are today rare. The second floor opera house . . . — Map (db m24286) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Hayesville — PFC Terry L. Schaub
“Remembering a Brother” 18 Nov 47 - 19 Feb 68 CoC 3rd Bn/60th Inf (Riverine) 9th Inf Div. U.S. Army KIA southeast of Can Tho City Phong Dinh Province, Republic of Vietnam — Map (db m25838) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Loudonville — 6-3 — Clear Fork Gorge — A Feature of Ohio's Forests
Clear Fork Gorge was formed when glacial meltwater cut through the sandstone bedrock that forms its steep walls fourteen to twenty-four thousand years ago. The gorge is one thousand feet wide and over three hundred feet deep. Its seclusion has . . . — Map (db m24285) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Loundonville — 3-3 — Charles Franklin Kettering
A pioneer in automotive innovation. Charles Franklin Kettering (1876-1958) was born three miles north of Loudonville. He attended local schools and graduated from Ohio State University in 1904. He organizaed the Dayton Engineering Laboratories . . . — Map (db m1341) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Mifflin — 2-3 — Frontier Violence During the War of 1812
Front Tensions between Native Americans and Euro-American settlers remained high on the Ohio frontier during the War of 1812. Grievances mounted rapidly following the removal of the Greentown Delawares to Piqua in the late summer of 1812. On . . . — Map (db m28800) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Mifflin — 8- 3 — Historic Mifflin
Side A Mifflin was founded in 1816. Originally known as Petersburg, the name was changed in 1827 in honor of the settlers that moved here from Mifflin Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The first village jailhouse and crossroad . . . — Map (db m97113) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Perrysville — 4-3 — Greentown Delaware Village
A migration of Indians throughout Ohio began due to unstable conditions created by the American Revolution. The massacre of Christian Indians at the Moravian mission of Gnadenhutten in 1782 and Colonel William Crawford’s expedition against Wyandot . . . — Map (db m1340) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Perrysville — 7-3 — Johnny “Appleseed” Land Lease and Nursery
John “Appleseed” Chapman (b. September 26, 1774—d. March 18, 1845) was the first lessee of this 160 acre tract (NW Ό, S 20, T 20, R 16), when he secured it for 99 years from the Virginia Military District School Lands on April 10, . . . — Map (db m46337) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Polk — Polk Veterans Monument
Front: To honor our veterans who have served POLK Back: To those who served and returned ... To those who served and were lost ... Your contribution and sacrifice for our freedom is not forgotten. We are eternally . . . — Map (db m38799) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Rowsburg — Historical Brick Section Of The LINCOLN HIGHWAY — Lincoln Highway — 1913 - 1928 —

[Title is text] — Map (db m137891) HM

Ohio (Ashland County), Rowsburg — Rowsburg — Founded Apr. 15, 1835

Near this spot in Sept. 1861 James Garfield, who later became 20th President of the Nation, recruited 50 members of Co. C for his regiment, the 42nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for Civil War service.

Erected June . . . — Map (db m137858) HM

Ohio (Ashland County), Sullivan — Sullivan Veterans Monument
Front: Erected 1906. In memory of our dead heroes of Sullivan Township. Back: W.R.C. — Map (db m38955) WM
Ohio (Ashland County), Sullivan — Sullivan Veterans War Memorial
2nd World War Korean War Vietnam War We dedicate this symbol to the men and women of this community who helped preserve the freedoms of humanity to keep forever living the freedom for which they died. Let us forever remember and . . . — Map (db m38953) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Andover — 8-4 — Pymatuning Wetlands / Pymatuning Reservoir
Pymatuning Wetlands The advancing and retreating mile-high glacial sheet of ice and snow shaped the countryside around this area. As the last of the ice masses melted, a great swamp developed, punctuated by towering white pines, bogs, and . . . — Map (db m107661) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Andover — Township of Andover Veterans Memorial
[counter clockwise from the south: five individual stones]U.S. Air Force U.S. Coast Guard U.S. Army U.S. Navy U.S. Marines U.S. Merchant Marine — Map (db m107658) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — "Steady" Ed Headrick
In Memory of "Steady" Ed Headrick Father of Disc Golf 1924 - 2002 — Map (db m132378) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1001 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Shaffner-Knox Drugs, built for Doxsie Dairy Company 1935-1952 Doxsie Dairy Company 1957-1970 Commercial Testing and Engineering Company — Map (db m132361) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1003 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
. . . — Map (db m132360) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1005 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Built in 1889 by A.J. Beckwith 1889-1908 A.J. Beckwith Dry Goods 1912-1927 Globe Clothiers 1930 Turner's Drug Store 1934-1940 The Great A & P Tea Company 1941-1945 England . . . — Map (db m132359) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1006 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Burrill Block The location of Edward H. Burrill Meat Market, the Burrill Block was built in 1900 1896-1921 Burrill's Meat Market 1926 Ragnvald Wary Billiards 1941-1953 Corner Restaurant . . . — Map (db m132362) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1009 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Built in 1889 by John & Oliver Topky 1889-1950 Topky Brothers Hardware & Ship Chandler 1951-1978 The Topky Hardware Company 1979-1995 Topky-Cook's Hardware Company — Map (db m132356) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1010 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Edward H. Burrill Meat Market, the Burrill Block was built in 1900 1900-1908 H. Bieder Company, confectioner, ice cream, cigars, news dealer 1909-1962 Christiansen Confectionery Store Upstairs . . . — Map (db m132364) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1012 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Cooper Butcher Shop, the Kunkle Block was built in 1900 1907-1918 F. J. Kempel Jeweler 1921 Century Club 1926-1931 Marine Sanitary Barber Shop Wilfred Beauty Parlor 1944-1971 . . . — Map (db m132295) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1016 — Upstairs — Historic Ashtabula Harbor —
1912 Charles V. Beckman, foreign exchange 1926 Seamen's Union Hall 1930 Club Rooms — Map (db m132319) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1017 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Built in 1889 by John & Oliver Topky 1895-1897 Mills and Burton Drugs 1898-1914 H.T. & L.T. Carlisle Department Store 1914-1927 George S. Eddy Department Store 1929-1931 John Dellerba, . . . — Map (db m132355) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1018 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Cooper Butcher Shop, the Kunkle Block was built in 1900 1907 Sperra Cafι 1912 Charlie Patchin's Restaurant 1921 Reuben Russack Clothing 1926 Elite Tonsorial Parlor . . . — Map (db m132321) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1020 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of the Herrick Hotel, built in 1916 for Peter J. Kapsanis 1916-1961 Harbor Sugar Bowl 1967-1971 West Fifth Club Tavern — Map (db m132322) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1022 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of the Herrick Hotel, the Petros Block was built in 1916 1916-1931 Frank Petros Confectionery 1934-1945 Petros Brothers Men's Furnishings 1946-1972 Paul's Bar & Restaurant 1973-1997 . . . — Map (db m132323) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1023 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1896-1899 H.D. Cook Boots and Shoes 1907-1911 Globe Clothiers 1918 Michael Molnar, bowling 1921 Angelo & Harry, billiards 1926-1930 Marine Pool Room 1946-1948 Marine . . . — Map (db m132353) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1024 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of the Herrick Hotel, the Petros Block was built in 1916 1916-1960 Benjamin's Barber Shop 1977-1980 Harbor Sales Notions Store 1988-1997 Leeward Lounge Expansion Upstairs 1916-1960 . . . — Map (db m132324) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1025 — Upstairs — Historic Ashtabula Harbor —
1895-1912 I.H. Pardee, physician J. Millard Chamberlain, attorney Joseph J. Downey, insurance & real estate Sullivan & Kullane, dressmakers Mrs. Virginia T. Morell, dressmaker — Map (db m132351) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1025 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1895 M. Flynn, boots, shoes & mens furnishings 1896 J.J. Hock. millinery 1907 W.H. Burton, druggist 1912 Ivan Worth, druggist & bookseller 1918-1927 E.V. Bloom Jewelwer . . . — Map (db m132352) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1028 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Ducro Block Built in 1901 by John Ducro 1901-1912 John Ducro's Son's Furniture, Undertaker & Ambulance Service 1915-1921 Harbor Post Office 1926 Frank Weiss Billiards United Cigar Store 1931 . . . — Map (db m132325) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1029 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1889-1899 Margaret Shanahan, billiards & saloon Dennis Shanahan, cigars & tobacco 1907-1912 Ed Kennedy Saloon Kennedy Hotel upstairs 1918 R.J. Wang 1930 Michael Moinar Pool Room . . . — Map (db m132350) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1032 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Ducro Block Built in 1901 by John Ducro 1901-1912 John Ducro's Sons Furniture, Undertaker & Ambulance Service 1915-1935 Max Karpel Clothing 1936-1956 Mollie Karpel Mens Clothing 1957-1965 . . . — Map (db m132326) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1034 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1895-1898 Diamond Palace Restaurant 1912 John Goggins Cigars & Tobacco 1918 William J. Goggins Restaurant 1926 The Famous Lunch 1931 Mero's Restaurant 1950-1952 . . . — Map (db m132327) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1035 — Formerly 1037 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor —
1895-1899 Thomas Perry, grocer 1907-1908 C.S. Baldwin, jeweler 1912 J.G. Turner, druggist 1918 C. Frank Neil, druggist 1921 J.G. McClintock Drug Store 1926 Harbor Pool . . . — Map (db m132347) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1035 — Formerly 1033 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor —
1895 Wood & Parks Dry Goods H.D. Cook, billiards & saloon 1896-1899 Goggin & Company, retail liquor 1907 Goerge Burnett, mens furnishings 1912 Mitchell Hardware Company 1912-1921 . . . — Map (db m132348) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1036 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1895-1898 Diamond Palace Restaurant 1907 George H. Smith Cafι 1912 Frederick C. Jenkins, barber 1921 M. S. Cratsley, barber 1926-1934 Henry Kohus, barber 1937 Anthony . . . — Map (db m132333) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1038 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Gregory, Burwell & Company, furniture & undertakers, built in 1912 by Harbor Building & Loan Co. 1912-1952 Harbor Building and Loan Company 1912-1926 Gregory-askew & Company Undertakers Adams Express . . . — Map (db m132334) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1104 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1889-1929 Thomas J. Rennick Meats, also pure Lake Erie ice 1930-1960 Rennick's Meat Market 1961-1962 The Miller-Anderson Company Meat Market — Map (db m132335) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1105 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
. . . — Map (db m132345) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1116 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1898 W.L. Irish, commission merchant 1918 Holland and Condon Prosperity Store 1921-1934 Bernardo Shoe Repair 1951-1961 I and W Supply Company 1964 Electromation Inc. 1969 . . . — Map (db m132336) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1119 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1896-1897 Wood & Parks Dry Goods 1898-1907 Henry Carlisle Dry Goods 1912 Gluck Department Store 1921 John Dellerba, pool 1926-1931 John Martin, billiards Mrs. Antoinette Martin, . . . — Map (db m132344) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1123 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
. . . — Map (db m132342) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1127 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Squires Livery & Feed, built c. 1925 1926-1931 City Savings & Loan Company John E. Glantz, attorney 1937-1945 John E. Salo, barber 1953-1962 Marine Cafe — Map (db m132340) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1135 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
. . . — Map (db m132339) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1147 — Historic Ashtabula Harbor
1893-1896 Scandinavian House Saloon, Johnannes Gudmunson 1907-1912 O. Benson Saloon, confectioner 1918 Guy Dominico, barber 1926 Marine Electrical Supply 1931 Wayne r. Sironen, auto . . . — Map (db m132338) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial
U.S. Maritime Service Trained 268,000 Officers and Crewmen for the Wartime Fleet 604 Men and Women taken prisoner 60 Died in Prison Camps 142 Merchant Marine Academy Cadets were lost in action Dedicated to the men and . . . — Map (db m132375) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Ashtabula Armed Forces Memorial
To Honor Men and Women of Ashtabula Who Served in the Armed Forces — Map (db m132289) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Ashtabula Civil War Memorial
Erected in Memory of the Soldiers and Sailors of the Civil War, their mothers and wives, by James Lewis Smith. — Map (db m132290) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 12-4 — Ashtabula Harbor Commercial District
Side A When the Pittsburgh, Youngstown and Ashtabula Railroad was finished in 1873, Ashtabula's harbor became a direct route to ship iron ore to the booming steel mills of Youngstown and Pittsburgh. On the west side of the Ashtabula River, . . . — Map (db m121521) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 10-4 — Ashtabula Train Disaster — December 29, 1876
Near this site, an iron truss bridge collapsed into the Ashtabula River during a blizzard, plunging a passenger train with 160 on board into the gulf below. Nearly 100 people were killed in this, one of the worst train disasters in American history. . . . — Map (db m121524) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Ashtabula World War II Memorial
In loving tribute to those who served in World War II. We the citizens of Ashtabula have gratefully planted our dogwood trees. — Map (db m132285) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Bascule Lift Bridge
The "Bascule" Lift Brdige, a medieval term for draw bridge, works on the same counterweight system that raised and lowered drawbridges over moats that surrounded fortresses in the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1850, a pontoon bridge had been . . . — Map (db m132369) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 14-4 — Hotel Ashtabula
Side A The Hotel Ashtabula was built in 1920 during an economic boom that lasted most of that decade. Architecturally, it represents a combination of Second Renaissance Revival and Georgian Revival styles. The H.L. Stevens and Company of . . . — Map (db m121527) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 11-4 — Lakeshore Park Main Pavilion
At 440 feet in length, the Lakeshore Park Main Pavilion, now known as the Ashtabula Township Park Lakefront Pavilion, is thought to be the longest and oldest lakefront pavilion in continuous use on the Great Lakes. Built in 1919, the pavilion, with . . . — Map (db m121509) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Lance Corporal Kevin M. Cornelius, USMC
In Memoriam Lance Corporal Kevin M. Cornelius, USMC "...First to fight for right and freedom And to keep our honor clean We are proud to claim the . . . — Map (db m132286) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Mother of Sorrows Church
Mother of Sorrows Church has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132294) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Peleg Sweet
This land was donated to Ashtabula Township by Peleg Sweet Early settler and Revolutionary Soldier It was used as a training ground for troops — Map (db m132292) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Point Park
Where you are standing on this high bluff, overlooking the entrance to Ashtabula Harbor is referred to as Point Park. For almost two centuries, people have traveled here to observe the business activity of Ashtabula Harbor. This vantage point of the . . . — Map (db m132374) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — Ship Air Funnel
Restoration of the Air Funnel made possible through a donation by Robert (Bob) Halman in Memory of his wife, Sara Halman. A ship's air funnel is used to send cool air from the ships upper deck to the lower levels of the ship. It can be . . . — Map (db m132377) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — The Ashtabula River — From Shipping Mecca to Contaminated Waterway to Revitalized Harbor
More than 400 years ago, the Iroquois and Algonquin Native American tribes settled in the Ashtabula River basin, and named the river "Hash-tah-buh-lah"—"river of many fish." The Ashtabula River became a shipping hub over the following . . . — Map (db m132365) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — The Giant Hulett
This Operator Station, "Bucket", and about 1/3 of the "Arm" were saved from one of the Ashtabula Huletts. Acquiring this was the idea of Joseph L. Rose. It was donated by the A & B Dock Company to the Maritime Museum. Only "18 foot" of the original . . . — Map (db m132366) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 5-4 — The Hubbard House
Built in the 1840s by William and Catharine Hubbard and known as "Mother Hubbard's Cupboard" or "The Great Emporium" by fugitive slaves, the Hubbard House was an important terminus on the fabled Underground Railroad in the years before the Civil . . . — Map (db m121522) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — The Run Away Lake Erie Buoy
In the summer of 2006, a "run away buoy" on Lake Erie washed up onto Walnut Beach in Ashtabula not far from our museum. Our Historian Ron McKinley received a call from city employee, Tony Tulino asking, "How would the museum like a buoy?" . . . — Map (db m132376) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — This Veterans Memorial
This Veterans Memorial honors all men and women of the United States who served their country Dedicated to Those Who Served in W.W. I 1917 - 1918 Served — 4,734,991 men — 21,480 women Wounded — . . . — Map (db m132288) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Asthabula — Ashtabula Township Armed Forces Memorial
Dedicated to the men & women of Ashtabula Township who serve, have served, or will serve in the Armed Forces of the United States of America — Map (db m132293) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Asthabula — Henry Kalinowski
Henry Kalinowski Pvt US Marine Corps World War II 1920 - 1941 Killed in Action USS Arizona — Map (db m132291) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Austinburg — 6-4 — Betsey Mix Cowles — (1810-1876)
Betsey Mix Cowles dedicated her life to fighting slavery and improving the status of women. Her desire for a formal education led her to Oberlin College, where she completed two years of study in 1840. An advocate of immediate abolition, Cowles . . . — Map (db m121528) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — Conneaut Historical Railroad Museum
[Top plaque:] The U.S. Dept. of the Interior has placed this building on the National Registry of Historic Places [Bottom plaque:] This museum, which is housed in the former New York Central Depot, is dedicated as a . . . — Map (db m132380) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — Conneaut Viaduct — Open Spandrel Concrete Rib Arch — 1924-2004 —
The viaduct of splendor that spans our winding stream, Service untold will render and be the tourists' dream. In the strength and beauty rising, our safety to insure The friendship symbolizing, cemented to endure, with hooks of steel we . . . — Map (db m132381) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — PA-OH Border Monument
Erected in 1881 by a joint commission appointed by the states of Pennsylvania and Ohio to re-survey and re-mark the boundary line as established in 1786. — Map (db m24070) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — The Western Reserve — Northeast Boundary — One of a Series of Four —
The Western Reserve Northeast Boundary Marker of the Connecticut Western Reserve conveyed to the United States, September 11, 1786 erected by the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio July 3, 1966 Early Settlers . . . — Map (db m94754) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — The Western Reserve
On 4th July 1796, the Moses Cleaveland Company here opened the Western Reserve to survey naming this place "Ft. Independence" — Map (db m132379) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Conneaut — 3-4 — Western Reserve
On July 4, 1796, Moses Cleaveland and his survey party landed at the mouth of Conneaut Creek on the southern shore of Lake Erie in what is today Conneaut, Ohio. The Connecticut Land Company, a private land speculation enterprise, had hired General . . . — Map (db m121508) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Geneva — 2-4 — Harpersfield Covered Bridge
Replacing an earlier bridge that was carried away in a spring flood, the Harpersfield Covered Bridge was built in 1868 and spans the Grand River, a state-designated wild, and scenic river. This bridge, which currently carries County Road #154 . . . — Map (db m121531) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Geneva — 4-4 — Ransom E. Olds-Birthplace
Side A Ransom E. Olds was born on this property on June 3, 1864. Olds co-founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, forerunner of the Oldsmobile Division of General Motors in Lansing, Michigan, on August 21, 1897. The curved dash model, built . . . — Map (db m121529) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Jefferson — 13-4 — Joshua R. Giddings Law Office
Side A This building served as the law office to Joshua Reed Giddings, a Whig congressman who advocated for the abolition of slavery and an end to the domestic slave trade. Born in 1795, much of Giddings' young life was occupied by working . . . — Map (db m122053) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Kingsville — Kingsville Veterans Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Kingsville to the memory of those who served from this community and those who gave their lives in the service of our country — Map (db m132284) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Orwell — 9-4 — Adna R. Chaffee
Adna R. Chaffee was born in Orwell on April 14, 1842, and grew up on the family farm. He left home in 1861 to pursue a career in the military, enlisting first in the 6th U.S. Cavalry for service in the Civil War. Distinguishing himself in many . . . — Map (db m7238) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Pierpont — In Memory of Those
In Memory of those from Pierpont who served in all our wars — Map (db m107654) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Williamsfield — Upon This Tablet
Upon this tablet are inscribed the names of those who left Wayne to serve this country in the Great World War 1914 1918. Upon this tablet are inscribed the names of those who left Wayne to serve this country in World War II. Upon this tablet . . . — Map (db m107660) WM
Ohio (Athens County), Albany — 2-5 — Albany / Enterprise Academy
Albany (Side A) The village of Albany was established in 1838 as a market center for the surrounding agricultural area, which saw its first white settlement in the early years of the nineteenth century. Education was always a major concern of . . . — Map (db m52872) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Amesville — Ames Academy Bell — 1852 - 1955
Over a century its clear tone carried from valley to hill beckoning all to learn — Map (db m15536) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Amesville — Frank Henry Gifford — 1880 - 1963 — Farmer, Merchant, A Civic Minded Citizen of Our Community —
Over the years he contributed generously for the betterment of the village. His last bequest of land, building and money made the creation of this park possible. — Map (db m15538) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Amesville — Historic Amesville
Pioneers began arriving in Ames Township in 1797, making it one of the earliest settlements in the Northwest Territory. As early as 1804, the village purchased enough books to create a library. It is known today as the Coonskin Library because it . . . — Map (db m15537) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Amesville — 5-5 — Western Library Association — 1804 — The Coonskin Library —
In the years leading to Ohio statehood in 1803, Ames Township citizens decided to establish a stock-owned circulating library. Since cash was scarce during Ohio's frontier era, some citizens paid for their $2.50 shares by the sale of animal pelts, . . . — Map (db m15540) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — “The Berry”
The Berry Hotel, one of America’s premier hotels, stood here from 1892 to 1974. Athenian Edward Cornelius Berry, a free black who had been educated at the Albany Enterprise Academy, and his modest wife, Martha Jane (Mattie) Berry, built, . . . — Map (db m122455) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Athens County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
The People of Athens County erect this monument in memory of those who volunteered as Soldiers and Sailors in defense of the Union and to perpetuate Free Government. The People will ever remember how much of our national . . . — Map (db m15558) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Athens County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
To honor and commemorate the Revolutionary Soldiers buried in Athens County, Ohio Daniel Anderson • Thomas Arnold • Isaac Barker • Ebenezer Barrows • Hopson Beebe • Alvan Bingham • Silas Bingham, Sr. • William Bodwell • John Bowman . . . — Map (db m15544) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Athens County Vietnam War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the Athens County residents who lost their lives in Vietnam November 1990 Richard A. Anders … 23 Joseph A. Bodnar … 22 Charles L Boling … 22 John W. Boyer … 27 Ronald L. Calentine … 20 Virgil L. Castle . . . — Map (db m15546) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Athens First Settlement - 1797
In the spring of 1797, Rufus Putnam sent eleven “substantial men ... possessing firmness of character, courage, and discretion” to found a settlement on the bank of the Hockhocking River. In 1800 the territorial legislature named the . . . — Map (db m42163) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — 10-5 — Athens National Guard Armory
In the first years of the twentieth century. Athens’ citizens formed a new National Guard company. The guardsmen initially held drill at the Campbell Block on Court Street, but soon the Athens Commercial Club began advocating for an armory from . . . — Map (db m122452) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Bicentennial of the Northwest Ordinance — Ohio University
[Campus side of the marker] In commemoration of the Bicentennial of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 Ohio University, the first public university established in the Old Northwest Territory, was founded on the principles of the . . . — Map (db m15635) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Booker T. Washington
Front: In this house, on 11 August 1886, famed African-American educator Booker T. Washington married Olivia A. Davidson. Residents at the time were Mary Davidson Elliott (sister of Olivia) and her husband Dr. Noah Elliott, a veteran of . . . — Map (db m63680) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Cutler Botanic Gardens — 1823–1973
On August 20, 1823, the Board of Trustees of Ohio University, of which Judge Ephraim Cutler was a leading member, set aside 300 acres “west of the College green” for a botanical garden and the site of a medical college, in memory of the . . . — Map (db m10908) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — 8-5 — Dow Finsterwald Day — September 25, 1958
Golfing greats Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus first met on the golf course at the Athens Country Club in Athens, Ohio. The event was a celebration for native son Dow Finsterwald, winner of the 1958 PGA Championship. Due to the significance of . . . — Map (db m122477) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — First Settlers in Athens County
In Memoriam Honoring the first settlers in Athens Co. from the New England States Alvan Bingman • Silas Bingman • Isaac Barker • William Harper • John Wilkins • Robert Linzee • Edmond Dorr • William Dorr • Barak Dorr • John Chandler . . . — Map (db m15545) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Manasseh Cutler Hall — Ohio University — 1816 —
Oldest building of the first institution for higher education of the Northwest Territory This tablet is dedicated to honor Manassah Cutler 1742 - 1823 Chaplain in the Revolutionary War Minister, Physician, Scentist, Teacher and . . . — Map (db m53820) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Memorial Auditorium
Memorial Auditorium stands as a testament to the dedication of Ohio University alumni, who raised funds for its construction. Completed in 1928, Memorial Auditorium was erected to honor those who have died serving our country; this includes past . . . — Map (db m53845) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Normandy Park — At Ohio University
In honor of the War Correspondents who landed in Normandy, France, on D Day, June 6, 1944, with Allied Invading Forces; and others who joined them to report the Crusade Across Europe to bring freedom to that continent and the eventual end of a . . . — Map (db m53863) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — 4-5 — Ohio University
[Marker front] Manasseh Cutler, Rufus Putnam, Winthrop Sargeant, and Benjamin Tupper of the Ohio Company conceived Ohio University, which was encouraged by the Ordinance of 1787 and the Northwest Territorial Legislature in 1799, . . . — Map (db m15564) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — 9-5 — Ohio University — Peden Stadium
Ohio University’s Peden Stadium is the oldest of the Mid-American Conference stadiums and one of the oldest of its type in the country. It was dedicated in 1929 with a victory over Miami University. The stadium served as housing for the influx of . . . — Map (db m42162) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Ohio University 1915 Alumni Gateway
The Ohio University Alumni Gate was built with funds contributed by many alumni, with the original intent of honoring the class of 1815, which was the first graduating class. The largest contribution, however, came from Edward C. Berry, a black man . . . — Map (db m15562) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Ohio University Sundial
Site of first Ohio University building erected in 1807 Here Hon. Thomas Ewing was graduated in 1815 One of the first two graduates — Map (db m42164) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Ohio University's Distinguished Visitors
Susan Brownell Anthony Woman Suffrage Leader Visited October 19, 1878 "To secure both national and 'domestic tranquility,' to 'establish justice,' to carry out the spirit of our Constitution, put into the hands of all women....the . . . — Map (db m53838) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Student Voices
College Green has served as a forum for the voices of Ohio University's students throughout its history. Whether supporting civil rights, advocating for the abolishment of women's curfews, or in protest, students have and will continue to play a . . . — Map (db m15570) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — The Elms
The elm trees President McGuffey planted near this path in the 1840s stood for over 100 years. Their beauty is recalled each year when the community members gather for the Concerts under the Elms. Dedicated by the Class of 2005 — Map (db m15571) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — The Kissing Circle
The Kissing Circle holds fond memories for decades of Ohio University Alumni, and symbolizes our affection and dedication to one another. May it remind future students, as it has those of the past, of valued friendships formed here and inspire . . . — Map (db m53075) HM

4654 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 4454
Paid Advertisement