Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Andrews County Texas Historical Markers

 
Andrews County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
Andrews County Marker
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 167 — Andrews County
. . . — Map (db m61419) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 168 — Andrews County Discovery Well(½ mi. S, & ½ mi. W.)
C.E. Ogden No. 1, producing 200 barrels a day from San Andres lime formation was brought in, Dec. 1929, by Deep Rock Oil Co.--The Andrews County discovery well and first of 730 wells in Fuhrman-Masco oil field. Bought, Feb. 1932, by . . . — Map (db m61380) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — Andrews County Veterans Memorial
Andrews County Veterans Memorial was dedicated on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 2006. All veterans that are living or deceased that served in the military will be eligible. The veteran must be honorably discharged and born, . . . — Map (db m110153) WM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 407 — Billionth Barrel
On May 25, 1965, from one of 7,400 producing oil wells in the county's 196 fields, came the Billionth Barrel of Andrews County crude oil. In the 35 years and 5 months since oil flowed from the county's discovery well, C.E. Ogden No. 1, in Dec. . . . — Map (db m61377) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1257 — Dorsie M. Pinnell(June 25, 1875-July 23, 1939)
Descendant of a Virginian who fought in the American Revolution. Came to Texas at 17 for health. Served (1898-1899) in Spanish-American War, Co. K, 1st Texas Inf. Vol. Regt. Later took up ranching in Andrews County. Married Jessie Whitten; had 4 . . . — Map (db m61373) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1350 — Early Settlersof Andrews County
One of last frontiers of Texas. Anglo settlement here lagged 60 years behind rest of state due to Indians and scarcity of water. In 1886 O.B. Holt became first man to file for county land. First settlers included the Cowden brothers and Peter . . . — Map (db m61375) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1923 — Florey Park
Named for old town of Florey, established as a post office 7 miles to the northeast in 1909, prior to the organization of Andrews County, June 1910. In heart of the Means Oil Field, opened 1930, this park is at site of a 1934-1958 camp of . . . — Map (db m61421) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 2051 — Frankel City
In 1941 the Fullerton Oil Company of California struck oil near this site, and by 1945 more than 100 drilling rigs were in operation. The discovery brought great numbers of workers into the area, resulting in the establishment of the town of . . . — Map (db m61418) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 3311 — Means Methodist Church(First church in Andrews County)
Organized in 1907 by circuit preacher F.T . Pollard and seven charter members. The group held services in local school until 1912, when a one-room church was built, financed by donations of members, including a generous gift from rancher J.S. Means. . . . — Map (db m61379) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 3361 — Midland and Northwestern Railroad
Chartered Jan. 16, 1916, by Midland Farms Co., which was owned by David Fasken of Toronto, Canada. The 65 miles of road were completed from Midland to Seminole in 1918. Operated with an engine borrowed from Texas and Pacific Railway until 1920, when . . . — Map (db m110192) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 166 — Original Townsite of Andrews
Founded when Andrews County was organized, in 1910, on land owned by Robert Madison Means (b. 1878). With his father, J.S. Means, "Bob" Means began homesteading here in 1899 and organized an abstract company in 1909. When Andrews battled Shafter . . . — Map (db m61374) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 4653 — Shafter Lake Townsite
First town in yet-unorganized Andrews County. Platted 1908. Named for lake charted in 1875 survey of Col. Wm. R. Shafter, whose maps and victories over powerful Indians opened the Permian Basin to settlement. Water trough built by John . . . — Map (db m61420) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 4654 — Shafter's Trail
In 1875, Col. Wm. R. Shafter and a company of soldiers traveled from Fort Concho (where San Angelo is today) to Monument Springs, N. Mex., charting the arid plains, mapping all the vital watering places. This marker is in the only town of . . . — Map (db m61376) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — Two Billionth Barrel
Andrews County produced it’s 2nd billionth barrel of crude oil August 21, 1981. Sixteen years and 96 days after its first billionth barrel came from beneath the county’s 1500 square miles. In producing two billion barrels in 52 years, Andrews . . . — Map (db m61378) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.