May 15, 1864. Montyís Brigade of Garrardís Cav. scouting toward Rome in advance of the infantry column, Davisí div. (14th A.C.) [US], encountered Brig. Gen. L.S. Rossí Texas brigade (Jacksonís Cav. div.) [CS] at Farmerís Bridge. Ross was driven to . . . — — Map (db m30563) HM
Everett Springs Seminary, antecedent of the famous Martha Berry Schools, was chartered in 1889 in Floyd County. The school, which was in existence until 1908, was the first mountain school in Georgia which had boarding facilities for its students. . . . — — Map (db m31361) HM
In 1833, a deaf man, John Jacobus Flournoy, of Jackson County, great grandson of Jacob Flournoy, a French Huguenot, urging education for the deaf, interested Governor Wilson Lumpkin and the Georgia Legislature in the educational movement. At first . . . — — Map (db m47908) HM
Buried in the grave sixty feet south of this point is Esther Post Butler. Born in Connecticut on September 15, 1795, Post married Dr. Elizur Butler, physician and minister, in October 1820. The Butlers were sent by the American Board of . . . — — Map (db m109589) HM
The first residence of missionaries sent in 1821 to establish the Turnip Mountain Mission to the Cherokees was located on this site, just north of the Cemetery wall. The mission, later known as Haweis, was built two miles to the east. Sardis . . . — — Map (db m11522) HM
Medora Field (1892-1960) was born nearby on the site of the present Lindale Baptist Church. In her early twenties she became a member of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Magazine staff, and later was married to Angus Perkerson, its editor. . . . — — Map (db m46882) HM
Starting with a Sunday School in a log cabin one mile south of here, Martha Berry founded a boarding school for rural boys in 1902 on 83 acres of land, adding a school for girls in 1909. From this humble beginning, Berry College grew and, during . . . — — Map (db m47471) HM
From the millís construction in 1930 , students under the supervision of a miller used the Old Mill to produce corn meal and food stuffs for the Berry Schools. The Republic Mining and Manufacturing Company donated the iron hub, while students built . . . — — Map (db m9488) HM
At this houseís core is the 1790s log home of Major Ridge (c.1771-1839), a leader in the Cherokee Nation. His 223-acre plantation supported numerous outbuildings, orchards and slaves while the family served as ferryboat operators and merchants. It . . . — — Map (db m14981) HM
May 16, 1864. Brig. Gen. J.C. Davisí div. (14th A.C.) [US] left Sugar Valley via roads west of the Oostanaula River to outflank Johnstonís forces [CS] retreating from Resaca.
Davis had been informed that Farmerís Bridge on Armuchee Cr. was an . . . — — Map (db m30825) HM
In May 1539 Hernando de Soto landed in Florida with over 600 people, 220 horses and mules, and a herd of swine reserved for famine. Fired by his success in Pizarro's conquest of Peru. De Soto had been granted the rights, by the King of . . . — — Map (db m30462) HM
Born in Savannah, Georgia, May 15, 1860
Moved to Rome, Georgia, March 1866
Graduated from Rome Female College, 1876
Attended New York Art Students League, 1884-1885
Her father, The Rev. Mr. Samuel Edward Axson was pastor of Romeís First . . . — — Map (db m39430) HM
May 18, 1864. Davisí div., (14th A.C.) [US], moving from Resaca via W. bank of the Oostanaula, forced passage of the river against Confederate opposition & captured the city.
Davisí seizure of Rome was incident to a move E. toward Kingston upon . . . — — Map (db m30826) HM
Floyd County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 out of Cherokee County. Originally, it included parts of Chattooga, Polk and Gordon Counties. Early settlers came from Tenn., S.C., and older parts of Ga. The county was named for Maj. Gen. John Floyd . . . — — Map (db m30671) HM
May 16, 1864. Maj. Gen. S.G. French, in person, reached Rome from Ala., enroute with his div. (Polkís A.C.), to join Johnstonís army [CS] at Cassville. Searsí brigade was sent to Kingston that night.
May 17. Ectorís, resisting Davisí approach on . . . — — Map (db m30828) HM
Thomas E.G. Ransom enlisted as captain of Company E, 11th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in 1861. Wounded four times, he won honors at Ft. Donelson, Shiloh, Vicksburg, and Red River. Rising steadily through the ranks, Ransom led the 17th Corps, Army of . . . — — Map (db m111658) HM
Along this road John H. Wisdom rode from Gadsden, Ala. to warn that a Federal force of over 2,000 men was approaching Rome to occupy the town, destroy foundries making ammunition for the Confederates and to cut Confederate communications (May 2, . . . — — Map (db m30626) HM
Home of Joseph Watters (1792 - 1866), pioneer settler in Floyd County; an admirer of Andrew Jackson, he named it 'Hermitage.' A settlement of that name is 1mi. S. E. May 17, 18, 1864: Brig. Gen. K. Garrard's (2d) div. of Elliott's Cavalry Corps, . . . — — Map (db m11455) HM
Principal Chief of the Cherokee Tribe of Indians, moved to this spot about 1794 and built this dwelling. Modernized by later owners.
His ferry & trading post made this farm a tribal center. Here was negotiated final treaty for the Cherokee . . . — — Map (db m15071) HM
Martha Berry, founder of the Berry Schools, was born and lived here at “Oak Hill.” Daughter of Capt. Tom Berry, wealthy plantation owner, she devoted her life to providing educational opportunities for the children of her less fortunate . . . — — Map (db m31330) HM
Opera Alley was a walkway adjacent to the Nevin Opera House at 321 Broad Street. The opera house, which opened in September of 1880, was built by Mr. M.A. Nevin. The alley, donated to the city by Mr. Nevin was officially declared a city . . . — — Map (db m12318) HM
This cabin, birthplace of The Berry Schools, (now Berry College and Berry Academy) was built as a playhouse for Martha Berry and her brothers and sisters shortly after the Civil War. Here, in the late 1800ís, three small boys from Lavendar Mountain . . . — — Map (db m88397) HM