Principal of the East Benham High School, 1934-60. Matthews taught math and coached ball teams. The students were children of employees of Wisconsin Steel Company. Joseph Matthews and his wife Ruth were leaders in black community and bought food, . . . — — Map (db m97118) HM
In 1933, the wells which supplied the town of Lynch and company mines were not producing enough water. Land was acquired on Lewis Creek in Letcher County for a filtration plant and 20,000 feet of 8 inch pipe was ordered.
During the drought of . . . — — Map (db m121695) HM
The original structure, which consisted of the concrete bin seen here and an additional 60 foot high steel super structure atop the concrete, was the largest coal tipple in the world when completed in 1930.
The upper steel structure was used to . . . — — Map (db m121694) HM
To build the town and mine support facilities Bog Looney Creek was rerouted and over one mile was walled with local quarried native sandstone.
Among the structures chronicled here, the coal company constructed six miles of concrete paved . . . — — Map (db m121691) HM
This lamp house was built about the same time as No. 31 Mine Portal. Shortly after it was built, and again during World War II, more than 2000 electric cap lamps were issued to miners each day, flame safety lamps were also issued to each foremen and . . . — — Map (db m121791) HM
Built by U.S. Steel Corp., 1917-25, this was largest company-owned town in Kentucky through World War II. Crucial need for steel during WWI led to founding of town, site of millions of tons of high-quality coal. With largest coal tipple then in . . . — — Map (db m97159) HM
This brick facility was built in 1923 by the United States Coal and Coke Co., then leased to Lynch Colored Common Graded School District. Students from Benham and Lynch enrolled in the high school. The first four graduates . . . — — Map (db m97161) HM
This building, constructed of native sandstone, as were most of the mine structures, was completed about 1920.
Machine shop personnel served as firemen.
The second story of the firehouse quartered mining company personnel; usually ten to . . . — — Map (db m121789) HM
This fan moved 50,000 cubic feet of air per minute to ventilate borehole conveyor entries. It replaced a 300,000 CFM Aerodyne fan in 1968, which, in turn, replaced a 150,000 CFM centrifugal fan to ventilate No. 31 Mine when it was in operation. — — Map (db m121792) HM
These portals were finished in 1920 while coal was being removed from temporary portals to the west. The main haulage goes straight through the mountain to Lewis Creek in Letcher Co., while an offset continues to Colliers . . . — — Map (db m121687) HM
On this concrete slab, a mining equipment repair shop was erected in an area that earlier was used as a mine car marshalling yard. The building was moved to No. 32 Mine in 1963, where it became the 5 South Main Bathhouse and Warehouse building. — — Map (db m121692) HM
This building once housed boiler operated generators which furnished electric power to operate No.'s 30 & 31 mines and support facilities. In addition, it supplied electric power to all homes in Lynch.
Originally four 150 KW D.C. generators were . . . — — Map (db m121693) HM
This railroad depot was finished in 1925. One of the few brick structures in Lynch because the stone quarries were closed by this date.
This was a busy station, serving two passenger trains daily through the forties and then one train a day . . . — — Map (db m121699) HM
This structure was completed in the early twenties. Because of its location astride Big Looney Creek, it was built of brick instead of native sandstone to reduce the weight.
The restaurant was famous in the region for its foot long hotdogs and . . . — — Map (db m121790) HM
To Honor the Black Coal Miners
and Keep Their Legacy Alive
The Black Coal Miner was recruited by International Harvester and U.S. Steel to work and live in the coal camps of Benham and Lynch. They came in search of a better life, better . . . — — Map (db m97160) HM
This conveyor, installed in 1968, transported coal at a rate of 500 tons per hour from the Winifrede mine borehole (1800 feet underground in No. 31 mine) to the 2300 ton silo at the tipple.
Three entries in No. 31 mine were rehabilitated in 1968 . . . — — Map (db m121689) HM
This plaque is in memory of William Risden
(1914-1994) WW II Veteran
An innovator and devotee of electronic technology, Risden was a pioneer in the cable TV industry credited with building the first cable system in Kentucky.
Taking advantage . . . — — Map (db m121223) HM WM