Dr. Wilhelm Keil founded here a Christian co-operative colony patterned after his colony at Bethel, Missouri. Musicians of the settlement made it widely famous. After Dr. Keil's death in 1877 the communal enterprise was dissolved. — — Map (db m114279) HM
During the period of Oregon's Provisional Government ( 1841-1849), residents traveled by Indian trails, water courses, or on privative rough-hewn wagon roads etched by emigrant settlers. During the days to the Territorial Government (1849-1859), and . . . — — Map (db m114295) HM
Jonas Will and Andrew Snyder, children of Aurora Colony members, established this then modern mercantile store. Jonas had been an Aurora merchant since 1888. The families ran this business until the 1940's. — — Map (db m114293) HM
These Corinthian column segments originally were part of those that graced the west and east entrance porticos of Oregon's first state house. The cornerstone for the original Capitol was laid October 8, 1873. The building was partially . . . — — Map (db m113717) HM
Founded in 1840 by Methodist missionaries,
Became territorial capital in 1852,
An incorporated city in 1857,
Permanent capital of Oregon in 1864.
W. D. Pugh designed this city hall. Under construction in 1893.Marion County Centennial . . . — — Map (db m63966) HM
In 1922 Thomas Gregor Bligh bought this property from the Salem Elks Fraternal Organization. In 1924, a year after constructing this Mission Revival building, the owner died in an automobile accident. In 1927, is wife Anna sold the property to . . . — — Map (db m112989) HM
In 1867, Willamette University founded the first medical school in the Pacific Northwest – the third such college west of St. Louis.
This college was maintained in Salem from 1867 until 1913 except for the period 1878 to 1895 during which . . . — — Map (db m113737) HM
This area, once named tchampuick, the 'place of yampah' was the traditional homeland of the Tualatin Kalapuya tribe. Fur trappers first arrived here by canoe in 1811, and they found lush open prairies bordering the Willamette River. In 1830, . . . — — Map (db m114307) HM
Willamette Post was established in December 1813 on a knoll just east of this location by employees of the North West Company, a Montreal based fur-trading company. During the ensuing years the two-room log cabin, also known as Fort Kalapuya, served . . . — — Map (db m114308) HM
Platted March 8, 1871 by H. L. Turner with the building of the railroad to California. Site of Turner Flouring Mills. First rural free delivery in Oregon made from the Turner Post Office, October 16, 1897, under George F. Robertson, Postmaster. — — Map (db m63938) HM