Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Monroe County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Alfred Blalock, M.D. Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, June 27, 2007
Alfred Blalock, M.D. Marker
Georgia (Monroe County), Culloden — Alfred Blalock, M.D.1899-1964
World famous surgeon, teacher and research scientist was born in Culloden, Georgia April 5, 1899 and educated at Georgia Military College, the University of Georgia and Johns Hopkins Medical School. He completed his surgical training at Vanderbilt . . . — Map (db m9980) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Culloden — 102-5 — Battle of Culloden
On April 19, 1865, a part of Wilson`s Federal Raiders, moving toward Macon, encountered the "Worrill Grays" near this spot. The "Grays," numbering less than 200 men, fought a magnificent battle, greatly outnumbered. After a two-hour battle they . . . — Map (db m9930) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Culloden — Slave Cemetery
We know not who they are, but they are loved ones of God and man; and will never be forgotten. — Map (db m59746) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Dames Ferry — 102-9 — Dames Ferry
In 1808, widow Mary Green Dame and her six children settled in Jones County. Two sons, George and John, builders by trade, built a house on the east side of the Ocmulgee River. Zachariah Booth owned and operated the first ferry here. It was . . . — Map (db m10087) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — Bessie Tift College
In 1864-1865 the buildings and grounds of this institution then known as Monroe Female College were used as a Confederate hospital, while classes met in private homes — Map (db m59583) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-6 — Confederate Dead and Hospitals
Here sleep "Known but to God," 299 unknown Confederate soldiers and one known. Most of these men, veterans of many hard fought battles, died in the several Confederate hospitals located in this town. Here is also buried a gallant Confederate girl, . . . — Map (db m417) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-10 — Confederate Hospital Camp
100 yards southeast is the location of a Confederate Hospital Camp established in the summer of 1864. Soldiers wounded in battles around Atlanta were brought by train to Forsyth. The buildings at the college and other buildings in Forsyth were soon . . . — Map (db m22486) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-4 — Forsyth
Forsyth, County Seat of Monroe County, was incorporated by Act of Legislature in 1823. It is in almost the exact geographical center of the State. First commissioners were James S. Phillips, Henry H. Lumpkin, John E. Bailey, Anderson Baldwin and . . . — Map (db m25945) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-7 — Georgia Militia at Forsyth
On Nov. 16, 1864, Maj. Gen. G. W. Smith, CSA, reached Griffin (30 miles NW) after a night withdrawal from Lovejoy’s Station (13 miles N of Griffin) where he had been posted to support Iverson’s division of Wheeler’s cavalry [CS] which was watching . . . — Map (db m25655) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-8 — Kilpatrick's Cavalry At The Towaliga River
On Nov. 17, 1864, Kilpatrick’s cavalry division [US], which was covering the right flank of Gen. Sherman’s army on its March to the Sea, moved from Bear Creek Station (Hampton) 31 mi. NW, down the north bank of Towaliga River to threaten Griffin and . . . — Map (db m26947) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-3 — Monroe County
Created by Act of May 15, 1821, Monroe County, an original county containing all of Pike and parts of Bibb, Butts and Lamar Counties, was ceded by the Creek Indians in early 1821. Laid out by the Lottery Act, it was rapidly occupied by large numbers . . . — Map (db m25941) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-1 — State Teachers and Agricultural College/Hubbard Training School
Founded in 1902 by William M. Hubbard, STAC was one of the state’s official schools for the instruction of black teachers between 1931 and 1938. Originally named the Forsyth Normal and Industrial School, STAC was one of three black public colleges . . . — Map (db m15039) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 102-7 — Tift College
Chartered in 1849 as Forsyth Female Collegiate Institute, Tift College was one of the group of colleges pioneering in the education of women. Known for 50 years as Monroe College, the name was changed in 1907 to Bessie Tift College, honoring a . . . — Map (db m25657) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 41 K-4 — Where Uncle Remus Came of Age
One block east stood the old office of The Monroe Advertiser, where Joel Chandler Harris, creator of “Uncle Remus,” came in 1867, as a boy of nineteen, to work until 1870. Here he advanced from printer’s devil to accomplished . . . — Map (db m25354) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Macon — 102-3 — Montpelier Institute
Montpelier Institute, founded in 1842 by Stephen Elliott, Jr., First Episcopal Bishop of the diocese of Georgia, was Georgia`s second oldest school for girls. Col. G.B. Lamar gave the land for the school including Montpelier Springs, long noted as a . . . — Map (db m9929) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.