Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Surry County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Carsley United Methodist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, June 24, 2014
Carsley United Methodist Church Marker
Virginia (Surry County), Carsley — K-312 — Carsley United Methodist Church
On 23 November 1811 William Carsley sold an acre of land here to trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The first Methodist church built in Surry County was constructed here soon thereafter. During the 19th century it was replaced by a second . . . — Map (db m74773) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Carsley — K-320 — Jerusalem Baptist Church
Jerusalem Baptist Church was organized as Mt. Joy Baptist Church in 1867 at the nearby home of Mondoza Bailey, community leader and carpenter. Amelia “Mother” Howard assisted in the organization of this and six other churches. Sent by . . . — Map (db m74774) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Claremont — K-225 — Claremont
The Quiyoughcohannock Indian village nearby was first visited by English settlers in May, 1607. The first land patent at Claremont was 200 acres granted to George Harrison in 1621. Arthur Allen, who built the house now known as Bacon's Castle, first . . . — Map (db m35940) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Claremont — Claremont School
Surry County African-American Heritage Society Claremont School In November of 1913 a deed was sold to the School Board District Number Four for property on the eastside of Spring Grove Road, Claremont, Virginia. A school was built on . . . — Map (db m35943) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Claremont — Quioughcohanach Indians
May 5, 1607 The English settlers visited here the principal village of the Quioughcohanach Indians This marker is erected by The Colonel William Allen Chapter N.S.D.A.R. 1930 — Map (db m35941) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Dendron — K-282 — Surry Lumber Company
The Surry Lumber Company, chartered in 1885, was among the largest producers of yellow pine lumber on the East Coast. Here at Mussel Fork Plantation, the company constructed sawmills, box mills, dry kilns, employee housing, and a commissary. The . . . — Map (db m103871) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Dendron — K-283 — Surry, Sussex & Southampton Railway
The Surry Lumber Company began constructing the main line of its narrow-gauge Surry, Sussex & Southampton Railway in 1886. Eventually extending 28 miles, the line began at Scotland Wharf on the James River, continued to the sawmill complex here at . . . — Map (db m103872) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Elberon — Cypress Church
Nearby to the southeast once stood Cypress Church. It was established by order of the Southwark Parish vestry on 5 April 1743. The rectangular brick building, about 60 by 27 feet in size, was completed by Feb. 1745. After the disestablishment of the . . . — Map (db m98239) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Poolesville — K-300 — Lawne’s Creek Church
Approximately six miles to the north, near Hog Island Creek, is the site of Lawne’s Creek Church. Authorized in 1629 as a “chapel of ease” for the settlers in the area by the Council and General Court of Colonial Virginia, the church was . . . — Map (db m2755) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Spring Grove — K-222 — Cabin Point
Beginning about 1689, a village known as Cabin Point stood here. It was a tobacco shipping port in the 18th century. Colonial troops were stationed here during the American Revolution in 1780 and 1781. By 16 Jan. 1781 Maj. Gen. Friedrich Wilhelm von . . . — Map (db m35939) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Spring Grove — K-231 — Swann’s Point
Ten miles Northeast is Swann’s Point on James River. In 1635 William Swann patented land there. The English Commissioners investigating Bacon’s Rebellion met at Swann’s point in 1677. William Swann’s Tomb, dated 1680 is there. — Map (db m2690) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Spring Grove — K-331 — Temperance Industrial and Collegiate Institute
On 12 Oct. 1892, Dr. John Jefferson Smallwood, born enslaved in 1863 in Rich Square, North Carolina, founded the Temperance Industrial & Collegiate Institute nearby with fewer than ten students. Sprawled over sixty-five acres on the James River in . . . — Map (db m74776) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Spring Grove — K-226 — Wakefield and Pipsico
Located five miles to the north is Wakefield. Benjamin Harrison patented this land about 1637. His descendents became major landowners and were influential in Virginia and United States politics. Governor Benjamin Harrison was a signer of the . . . — Map (db m2691) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-235 — Bacon’s Castle
This house, just to the north, was built by Arthur Allen in 1655. In Bacon’s Rebellion, 1676, the house was seized by a party of rebels and fortified. On December 29, 1676, it was captured by sailors from a ship in James River who were engaged in . . . — Map (db m2698) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — Capt. Jacob Faulcon, C.S.A.
. . . — Map (db m36053) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — 30 — Captain John Smith’s Adventures on the JamesChippokes Plantation State Park — James River beach
Prior to unloading at Jamestown, the English sailed the James in search of a suitable location. In his account, George Perch recalls crossing to the southern shore on May 5, 1607 at the invitation of a chief he misidentifies as the "Werowance of . . . — Map (db m98237) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — Chanco
In memory of Chanco The Indian who lived with Richard Pace at Pace’s Paines in this county and who on the night before the massacre of March 22, 1622 informed Pace of Opechancanough’s plot and thus saved the Jamestown Colony . . . — Map (db m36052) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-279 — Chippokes Plantation
This Plantation, four miles to the northeast, was established in 1619 by Captain William Powell of Jamestown. Structures and artifacts on the property reflect plantation life from the early 17th century to the present. Donated to the Commonwealth by . . . — Map (db m2686) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-319 — English Settlement on Gray’s Creek
English settlement along Gray’s Creek began by 1609 when Capt. John Smith ordered a defensive fortification built on the tidal creek opposite Jamestown. Though the English did not finish construction the fort (known as Smith’s Fort) and soon . . . — Map (db m2696) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-228 — Glebe House of Southwark Parish
Nearby stands the glebe house of the formerly Anglican Southwark Parish that was built soon after 1724. A glebe was a parcel of land owned by a colonial church and farmed to pay the minister’s expenses. This glebe house was used as a parish rectory . . . — Map (db m2692) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-234 — History on Crouch’s Creek
Originally called Tappahannock Creek by the English, Crouch’s Creek flowed through a number of early English settlements. By 1625 George Sandys had holdings in Surry County, known as Treasurer’s Plantation, east of the creek. Sandys was a poet, a . . . — Map (db m2687) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-237 — Hog Island
On this point, in James River nine miles Northeast, the settlers kept their hogs in 1608. When abandoning Jamestown in June, 1610. They stopped at the island for a night. The next morning, proceeding down the river, they met a messenger from . . . — Map (db m2682) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-301 — Jamestown Ferry
Near this site on February 26, 1925, the ferry Captain John Smith began the first automobile ferry service crossing the James River. Captain Albert F. Jester was the inaugurator and owner/operator until it was sold to the Commonwealth of . . . — Map (db m76778) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-236 — Organization of the Christian Church
At “Old Lebanon Church” here, the Christian Church was established under the leadership of James O’Kelly, August, 1794. O’Kelly had withdrawn from the Methodist Church, 1792. — Map (db m2697) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-224 — Pace’s Paines
Nearby to the north, Richard Pace and his family received a land patent in Dec. 1620 establishing Pace’s Paines plantation. In response to English expansion into Indian lands, such as occurred at Pace's Paines and elsewhere. Chief Opechancanough . . . — Map (db m2695) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-227 — Pleasant Point
Four miles north is Pleasant Point on James River. William Edwards patented land there in 1657, the house is ancient. Edwards was clerk of the General Court and a member of The House of Burgesses. — Map (db m2685) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — Poole’s Funeral Home
Surry County African-American Heritage Society Poole’s Funeral Home The Poole’s Funeral Home was established November 1890 by the late M.B. Poole. With his horse drawn hearse, he served the community with great dignity and professional . . . — Map (db m35992) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-137 — Quiyoughcohannock Indians
The Quiyoughcohannocks were one of the first Virginia Indian groups the English encountered in 1607 after landing at Jamerstown. Situated primarily in present-day Surry County, the Quiyoughcohannocks had four villages in the region likely east of . . . — Map (db m2684) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K233 — Smith’s Fort Plantation
Captain John Smith began Smith’s Fort in 1609, two years after the first permanent English colony in the New World was established at Jamestown. The remains of the fort, a two-foot-high earthwork, constitute the oldest extant structure of English . . . — Map (db m2688) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-229 — Southwark Parish Churches
Southwark Parish was established in 1647. To the northeast stood the second Southwark church built by 1673 and abandoned shortly after the American Revolution. To the east, near Bacon’s Castle, Southwark Parish vestry completed the Lower Southwark . . . — Map (db m2694) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — Surry County Confederate Monument
. . . — Map (db m36055) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — Surry County War Memorial
(Center) “At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.” Erected A.D. 1947 (Left) 1917 - 1918 To the members of the Armed Forces of World War I from Surry County . . . — Map (db m36056) WM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — Working the LandCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
Indians cultivated fertile lands along the James River for centuries before the colonists arrived in 1607. They grew squash, corn, and beans to supplement their diet of native plants, fish, shellfish, and game. When the soils at a house site became . . . — Map (db m98214) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.